How much protein is TOO much protein?

Options
I was told by a nutritionist that you should ideally take in a gram of protein for every pound of body weight. Ive been taking in about 70grams of protein a day, is that too much? I weigh about 175lbs, so its under according to the nutritionist. What are the benefits on taking in alot of protein if you are trying to lose weight? im also eating right and working out if that helps

Replies

• wellnes52
    Options
    The protein I use in my drink is 18 grams and it says its 35% of daily. hmmmm I dont think I'm getting enough protein, could be why I'm hungry.
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    you likely will never eat too much protein. your nutritionist is right, one gram per pound of body weight is ideal. protein is really great for your body, especially when your exercising, because it's being used to build muscle tone. definitely don't worry about eating too much protein. always go for more if you can! :]
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    aim for .7-1 for every pound you weigh. If you weigh 200, aim for 140 - 200 protein a day.
  • devildog525
    Options
    I really dont think you can over do your protein unless you try. That being said protein is used to repair the muscle that you damage when you work out, creating more muscle repairing it faster, therefore burning more calories in the process.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    The old "more protein is better" approach from the 80's and 90's is a slow one to die off. The Cooper Institute teaches all Personal Trainers and Institute's clients (which includes world famous athletes) to follow the range below (yep, this includes competitive athletes ... they may just be at a different point in the range):

Healthy Fat: 20% to 35%
    Lean Protein: 10% to 35%
    Healthy Carbs: 45% to 65%

I never deviate even for competitive athletes and body builders and have never encountered any problem. Seems right on to me and is reinforced by most reputable research. Others may have different approaches but after many years of training and practice, reading many medical/obesity professional journals, and attending many seminars, I support the Cooper Institute's approach 100%.
  • yvie666
    yvie666 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi there
    Not sure on the protein front as I always seem to go over on that but under on iron which I know my body needs as have been told am iron deficient due to diet - or lack of! - and vit B - I worry too but enjoy steaks, etc with salad which is quite a good choice if you cut off the fat an dont add sauces but if anyone does know would be good to find out - one thing this is teaching me is I need more iron and vit C - did not realise how my food choices were lackin so much in this before but high in carbs ! Whole new learning curve! good luck with yr weight loss! - where in London are you from? x:drinker:
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not a nutritionist, but I have been visiting mine last week. In fact I am having a lot more protein than I used to. What happened is that I really feel less hungry than before and I'm losing weight.

Also, when you eat more protein you tend to eat less carbohydrates. And I believe that is where the secret is: no carbohydrates after 5PM and less carbohydrate during the day than we are all used to.

I still eat oatmeal (no sugar of course) with bananas and honey for breakfast. Good carbohydrates!!!

Good luck!
  • yvie666
    yvie666 Posts: 12
    Options
    just seen above - thanks !
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Excessive protein intake is associated with high risk of kidney stones, calcium loss from bones and various forms of cancer. If you're American, you probably eat an excessive amount of protein. Try a quick google search for "excessive protein" and see what you find.

From Medicinenet: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

Find out how consuming too much protein can harm your body.
    By Miriam Nelson
    WebMD Feature
    Reviewed By Gary Vogin

Seems like everyone at the gym is doing it: filling up on protein to bulk up those biceps. But it's a misconception. Eating extra protein actually doesn't do much toward boosting your muscle mass and strength.

In fact, medical research shows that consuming too much protein -- more than 30% of your total daily caloric intake -- could actually harm your body, says protein expert Gail Butterfield, PhD, RD, director of Nutrition Studies at the Palo Alto Veterans' Administration Medical Center and nutrition lecturer at Stanford University.

She says that a diet containing excess protein can have the following adverse effects:

Adding more protein but not more calories or exercise to your diet won't help you build more muscle mass, but it may put your other bodily systems under stress.
    Eating more protein and increasing total caloric intake while maintaining the same exercise level will build an equal amount of additional fat and muscle mass, according to a study published in 1992 in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
    Too Much Protein

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

How Much Protein Do I Need?

The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

It's Essential

Although limiting protein intake is important, you should also realize that protein is essential to our bodies' normal functions. It assists in synthesizing enzymes and hormones, maintaining fluid balance, and regulating such vital functions as building antibodies against infection, blood clotting, and scar formation.

Protein is also a building block for our muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and blood. Protein-rich foods include meat, cheese, milk, fish, and eggs. For vegetarians, protein can be found in soy products such as tofu as well as in combinations of foods, such as rice or corn with beans.

Whether you are an avid strength trainer, a marathon runner, or just an average exerciser, a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, fish, and complex carbohydrates is what nutritionists recommend.

Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD, May 29, 2002.
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    Dom
    very good post. Although, the heavier you are, the more you need --- by that calculation I need about 90 grams a day which is about what my nutritionist calculated for me. Of course, as I lose weight, I'll need to decrease my protein.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Dom
    very good post. Although, the heavier you are, the more you need --- by that calculation I need about 90 grams a day which is about what my nutritionist calculated for me. Of course, as I lose weight, I'll need to decrease my protein.

Ta. Fetishising protein is a pet peeve of mine ;)

I agree about the link to weight, but of course, extra protein requirements for extra body weight is the same as saying protein should comprise x% of total calories, and total calories should depend on BMR, which is dependent upon weight. I don't think anyone is saying (including you) that the more you weigh, the higher percentage of total calories should come from protein.
  • mrslondon
    mrslondon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @Dom

Thanks for the information, very helpful. ive been reading so many different things and that is why I was confused. I was finding it very difficult to consume 176grams of protein anyway per day. For example I took in 70grams I think today, which may still be too much. Im not doing any kind of high protein low carb diet which is good, im just eating healthy but trying to make my dosages more regular alternative to what I was doing before, which was really high carbs and way too much fat. Im trying my hardest to take in a good amount of water a day too, finding that hard but all I drink now is water and one cup of tea every morning and thats it. So am I doing ok with what Im doing then or am I still harming my body?
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I was told by a nutritionist that you should ideally take in a gram of protein for every pound of body weight. Ive been taking in about 70grams of protein a day, is that too much? I weigh about 175lbs, so its under according to the nutritionist. What are the benefits on taking in alot of protein if you are trying to lose weight? im also eating right and working out if that helps

If you're exercising regularly you should have a little more protein. i weight 130 lbs and usually aim for 100-150 g. of protein a day. My reasoning is that I eat extremely lean and not a ton of carbs so I need to fill in the calories somewhere. Be careful your choices for protein though. Make sure they're lean. Chicken breast, ground turkey, lowfat or fat free dairy, lean red meat....I also add some good healthy fats since i'm cutting out the red meat and dairy fats...so olive oil and nuts are great!