What do you do when you go to local diners?

Options
Ones that don't have nutritional information easily accessible. How do I know how many calories are in it?

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    In general, when I am going out for dinner, I log it early in the day or the night before. I usually know what I'm going to get, so I log it in. I then work with what I have left for the remainder of the day. This way, you can have treats like eating out and still hit your calorie, and usually, macro goals. If you cannot find exactly what you are eating, then log generic version of what you are getting. That will get you close enough.

Allan
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    As far as how to log it, I will usually pick a chain that serves similar food and that is listed in the MFP database (or that I can find nutrition info online). For example, if you are ordering bacon and eggs and grits, maybe you can pick something from Waffle House. It won't be exact, but it might be close. Give yourself a little buffer of 50-100 calories for the day (either eating less or exercising a bit more) to make up for it.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    As far as how to log it, I will usually pick a chain that serves similar food and that is listed in the MFP database (or that I can find nutrition info online). For example, if you are ordering bacon and eggs and grits, maybe you can pick something from Waffle House. It won't be exact, but it might be close. Give yourself a little buffer of 50-100 calories for the day (either eating less or exercising a bit more) to make up for it.

What Cindy said.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I will break things down into components sometimes...like when i eat japanese. I'll count the chicken bites, the steak bites, the button mushrooms, the broccoli, and the rice and estimate how much of each they used. Then i'll add a few tbsp of teriyaki and soy sauces plus vegetable oil...and a store bought yum yum sauce. The guess is probably within 20% of what the meal actually was so I feel safe.

I'll do the same with a burger. They probably used 80/20 at a good restaurant...maybe 85/15 at a gourmet burger place...then count the pickles, fried onion, ketchup etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I try to make good nutritional decisions...I also realize that typical restaurant food is around 2 servings plus...so I know pretty much any entree I get is going to be in the neighborhood of 800 - 1200 calories depending. I know enough about nutrition and calories of various foods that I can pretty well guestimate...unknown variables are basically how much oil they're using...but it's usually a lot.

This is also another reason that dining out has become something of a special thing for me...I just don't do it all that often. I've found that this approach has actually increased my enjoyment of dining out and I really look forward to it whereas in the past it basically took place daily and wasn't that big of a deal.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I look for anything grilled on the menu and will request substitutes. Get rid of chips/fries and replace with side salad with fat free and/or lo cal dressing on the side. or perhaps a baked potato without butter/sour cream...just plain naked. Easy enough to find "generic" nutritional values for simple foods than it is for a complicated meal.

Stay away from anything that has cream sauces, fried, breaded etc. Also, I try to google the menu from the restaurant so I know what is available before I make the decision to eat there.... and for what it's worth -- *I* make the decisions where we eat these days because I am the one who is watching what I eat. Others have the option to pick and choose whatever they want to eat. I have had absolutely no one complain with my restaurant choices -- in fact, are often relieved because it can sometimes become a fete to agree on one place.

Don't be afraid to ask for something prepared different if not listed on the menu... Plus, don't hesitate to check out the children's menu or senior citizens menus. The portions are usually scaled down. Just because they are labeled "children" or "senior citizen" doesn't mean you can't ask. (of course, I qualify for the senior citizen menu so no problem -- hey, there are advantages to getting old!)

Just be prepared ahead of time and use common sense when you are ordering. One other tip: I do have a snack before we go out to eat... will have some carrots, celery, maybe some apple slices... etc... just so I am not ravenous by the time we get to the restaurant. Also, if the restaurant serves alcoholic beverages (which most of the time they do) I will have 1 beer (which I work into my calorie count). The beer will fill me up a little so I don't go overboard with eating. (I do not rely on beer on a regular basis!)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I will search for something listed as either generic or homemade. Many of the local restaurants that I visit really make things more like they are homemade rather than the way that big chains make, but it is somewhat of a judgement call. If it seems like it is more heavily processed like what I would get at chains, then I'll use something similar from the chain list.

I have type 1 diabetes, so I've always carb counted and am pretty good at that. So as a check, I'll see if the carbs look right. If it does, then I use it.

I figure that calories are not perfect even on labels. Exercise calories are not perfectly measured either. So if I get close, then that is good enough for me.

To see an example, you can look at my diary for yesterday. I ate super nachos (an entree) at a local restaurant for dinner. It appears as though the item I used is supposed to be an appetizer rather than an entree, and lists a serving size as 1/4 of the super nachos (so is probably a big party tray or something). The carbs for this serving size look right, and the calories make sense for the serving size (for 1/4 of a big appetizer tray) as the ingredients are almost identical to what is in a taco salad, except tortilla chips instead of a shell.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Ones that don't have nutritional information easily accessible. How do I know how many calories are in it?

You don't. You can estimate though.

So I order biscuits and gravy.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I just pick something in the database and go with it. I try to use common sense. For example, I may log 3-4 different "ground beef taco" entries and pick the second highest calorie one.

If you're talking about diners as in breakfast & burgers...I usually log whatever I order, like eggs & English muffin...then add 1-3 oz of butter on top of that. Because of course they use a lot of butter and I don't when making similar stuff at home.

A lot of times I go with a chain...for example, if I eat a local restaurant hamburger that is similar in size and shape and flavor to Steak N' Shake, then I'll log Steak N' Shake. For Chinese food I almost always use Hy-Vee grocery store Chinese because they provide nutritional info and if I eyeball portions well, I'm pretty sure the info matches up well. So far, so good.

I really think this stuff is not a big deal unless you dine out daily or very frequently. I usually have fast food once a week and 1-2 restaurant meals on the weekend. Compensating with smaller meals at other times of day, it has not been a problem for me at all.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I had a rough time for a while with my family wanting to take me out, then me having a difficult time deciding what to eat. So we came to a compromise of going to "greasy spoon" diners that serve breakfast all day. Since I could order

Wheat toast (dry)
    2 poached eggs
    hashbrowns

and make a really good guestimate of the calories (the only variable was judging how many calories were in the potatoes and how much fat was on the grill when they fried them). Even a couple strips of bacon are pretty easy to guess.

I'm happy to not go over my calories goal. They're happy they get to eat with me. Family bliss.
  • marilynbauer
    marilynbauer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know you are not going to like this reply, but I simply don't go, if for some reason someone wants me to go there for socialization such as a group of friends/family) eat before I leave. If I order anything it is a beverage, side order of fruits or small "plain" salad, toast plain with jelly, etc and then just compute calorie/nutrition intake once you can.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I usually estimate the ingredients and sizes, estimate a bit big, and add in extra olive oil and butter (or whatever high calorie ingredients are likely, depending on the restaurant). If I go to a burger place I assume non-lean beef and higher calorie buns. Stuff like that. I also usually try to have a little extra room in my calories either that day or week, on the understanding that it's probably higher than I'm guessing.

But I don't worry about it too much, pretty much only go to dinner at restaurants with no calorie information and do that at least once a week, and it hasn't hurt so far. Maybe when I'm closer to goal it will be more difficult, but going out to eat is something I enjoy (I am kind of snobby about where I go--not in terms of cost, but about the food quality), and a part of my social life that I'm not interested in changing and think can fit just fine in a weight loss plan or maintenance.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Just try pick the healthiest option ? Avoiding the grossly unhealthy ones, of course, unless treating yourself is your intention :)

I must admit this is an area I find easier since low-carbing, as its a bit easier to keep the carb-rich parts of the meal low, knowing the fat and protein in what you're eating will help you stop eating when full . Of course this doesn't help when all options contains lots of carbs, but then you shouldn't have that problem in a typical diner :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I do my best to order something I will enjoy but also something I can estimate for. It won't be 100% accurate but I try. And I know that one meal on one day does not define the rest of my life.

I avoid glazes, sauces. In all honesty I usually did that before. Grilled meat often tastes better without them anyhow. I ordered grilled or baked rather than fried. If I don't know how something is prepared, I ask questions. I eat reasonable amounts.

And I go on with my life.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I ordered grilled or baked rather than fried. If I don't know how something is prepared, I ask questions. I eat reasonable amounts.

If the issue is how to avoid eating tons of calories, as well as logging, this. And especially portion control. And not using a restaurant meal as a reason to have extra courses plus a lot of bread just because it's there, plus the high calorie appetizer your friend wants the table to share, etc.

I maintained for about 5 years at a good weight while eating out pretty frequently and I've at times gained lots in large part due to lots of restaurant meals (and ordering in). It's all about how I approached those restaurant meals.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of ordering the wheat toast dry and eggs - that's simple. You might also try asking for an egg dish, like an omelette, with egg whites only.

A lot of diners also offer some sort of healthy option, like a salad with cottage cheese or grilled chicken. They are usually in a special section.

You could also go for something like a roast turkey sandwich on wheat and hold the mayo. Mustard has a lot less calories and still tastes good.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying:

1. Try to plan ahead (I take my own dressing for salads)
    2. NEVER order fried foods
    3. Once my order comes, if it's bigger than my fist I IMMEDIATLY ask for a to-go box.

My go-to's:
    French dip and salad
    1/2 Hamburger and salad
    A good cut of meat with double the veggies. (I don't eat chicken out)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    The other day I went to a Chinese buffet. In the past this was a huge problem for me and for the past year I had refused to go because it wasn't worth seeing my weight go up from the calories and sodium. It wound up being an awesome meal and my weight was DOWN the next day. I ate a few pieces of cooked sushi with no sauce on them, several very small pieces of each shrimp & beef and chicken, and some veggies, but I ate no rice, no noodles, and nothing fried. I even had two of the little coffee flavored sponge cake squares, and a ton of cantaloupe & berries to round out my meal. I logged it around 690 cal for my full plate of food.
  • alienbabyjen
    alienbabyjen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Error on the side of caution. If you have to guess, guess high. Also, remove or substitute things you know will be bad. There's a cobb salad at the bar I used to go to a lot and I had them take all the meat off except the little bit of bacon. They knew me there, so they liked to jibe me about it. That was fine with me. "You want your no-meat cobb today?" "Yes, ma'am."