confusing belly fat with loose skin?

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can't compare the skin in the back of your hand with the skin on your belly, lol. And I'm quite sure loose skin doesn't feel the same as tight skin either.

I have the same problem here, I can't tell if it's mostly skin, mostly fat, or both. But the way it hangs when I bend over... like two pockets around the belly button... that doesn't look like fat (even though I know there's still some in there!). I guess it will be easier to tell when I'm at goal weight.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    From some of the people I've seen on TV having skin removal surgery the loose skin that they're removing is literally just skin. It's almost paper thin and hangs like folded fabric. If you grab the skin and it's got something solid behind it, that's still more fat. The stuff they were holding up for removal did look very much like pinching the skin on the back of your hand. I probably watch way too much medical TV!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No, its not a myth. You have a bag around you which is your skin. Increasing muscle will increase whats in the bag, smoothing out some of the wrinkles in the bag, the more thats inside.

Sorry, that is completely inconsistent with Commandments #2 and #3, which read "Heavy lifting will not bulk thee up, especially if thou ist a woman" and "Lifting helps you loose inches".

You cannot fill out loose skin if you don't bulk up, and if lifting tightens your core up ("listen to your measurements, not the scale") then it will create *more* loose skin, not less.

Exercise is part of the recognized elements that modify superficial fascia that connect skin to the underlying musculature.

http://www.fasciaresearch.de/Schleip_TrainingPrinciplesFascial.pdf

If you are interested you can read up on the basic lab work to study this macro anatomy.

https://web.duke.edu/anatomy/Lab01/Lab1.html
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    in all honesty it will take about a yr or two for most of the loose skin around the middle to tighten back up, like anything else in your body it is a living organ and it will change and adapt to outside stimuli.

Keep up with your healthy eating and exercise & be patient, it will go away eventually.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    No, its not a myth. You have a bag around you which is your skin. Increasing muscle will increase whats in the bag, smoothing out some of the wrinkles in the bag, the more thats inside.

Sorry, that is completely inconsistent with Commandments #2 and #3, which read "Heavy lifting will not bulk thee up, especially if thou ist a woman" and "Lifting helps you loose inches".

You cannot fill out loose skin if you don't bulk up, and if lifting tightens your core up ("listen to your measurements, not the scale") then it will create *more* loose skin, not less.

Exercise is part of the recognized elements that modify superficial fascia that connect skin to the underlying musculature.

http://www.fasciaresearch.de/Schleip_TrainingPrinciplesFascial.pdf

If you are interested you can read up on the basic lab work to study this macro anatomy.

https://web.duke.edu/anatomy/Lab01/Lab1.html

You, sir, woke up and put on your smarty pants this morning.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft, down to 124 and I KNOW that what i have working on the muffin top is fat..I can grab a handful..it is not thin, it is pure fat..so I use Jergens skin firming on my belly EVERY SINGLE DAY and do heavy weights three days a week and it is slooooooowly coming off..it take patience, that is for sure!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Don't use the hand test. The back of your hand naturally has less fatty tissue than your midsection.

Which is entirely the point of trying to assess whether the "loose skin" on her belly is actually all, more mostly, skin, or actually a skin/fat combo.

Extremely lean people can have midsection bodyfat almost as low as the back of the hand.

How lean is extremely lean? What about average people? Or slightly lean people? Or moderately lean?
  • veganbabe89
    Options
    This is one of those big things that my personal journey through weight loss has taught me. After I lost about 80-100 on my own I'm in the final stretch of my weight loss journey and am looking to get to around 18% body fat, which is about 7.5-11 pounds away for me. Listen, I have done research out the wazoo on this one. I even went to see a doctor, fearing the worst: That I needed a tummy tuck I couldn't afford. I was delighted when he said I have some excess skin, but would highly recommend lipo first. Do you know what that means? LIPOSUCTION MEANS FAT.

I've confirmed this online and with a friend who is a body builder, I have some excess skin, but I have a little fat left to lose.

People who tell you that they have excess skin which is more than 5-6mm thick when pinched still have residual fat. In that link earlier to Blue Eyed Betty, Yes, she has a good deal of excess skin, but she also has a HUGE amount of fat to still lose. As long as you don't have a super massive amount of skin left, It should tighten up reasonably so as your body fat gets down to a lower percentage. Yeah, this means that I have to work a little harder to get the jiggle off my middle. But I'm okay with that, because I'll get to have those rock hard abs.

Check out Sharee Hansen on Funeral for My Fat, this is a PERFECT example of actual loose skin instead of fat with loose skin, she shows her stomach in the video and you can clearly see it's just empty skin, and no more than a couple of millimeters thick. If you have 1 centimeter or more of pinch there, there is fat to lose. And I tested this theory on a place where I know that I have loose skin on my body, as well as on my dog who has yards of skin. (Sounds silly, but aside from fur their skin is still skin) It measured in at 4-6mm. Which is exactly where doctors on Real Self tell us skin should be.

So here is how you tell if it's legitimately fat or loose skin:

1: Does it jiggle? If so there is a 95% chance it's got fat inside
    2: Does it have a thickness of more than 6mm? It's got fat inside.
    3: Does it bounce if you push on it...probably fat.
    4: Does it form a roll when you bend over? probably fat.

Subcutaneous fat is a son of a monkey's uncle to get rid of. It sits just beneath the skin. It forms to the skin and wobbles and sags just like loose skin would. Skin is a living organism, why in the world would it contract if it's still got some fat there keeping it ... fluffy.

To combat loose skin you might have or to prevent it:

Take Vitamin C
    Take Fish Oil
    Exfoliate EVERY OTHER DAY
    Massage the area for thirty minutes
    Use Kokum mixed with cocoa butter to protect that skin.

Do cardio, pick up heavy things and put them back down. Don't even worry about loose skin until you reach 18 percent body fat. Seriously.

Good Luck Lady.
  • egabriellajohnson
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your weight loss :) I too am 23 and have lost 100 lbs over the past 15 months. I would definitely start resistance/weight training. It's a great way to build lean muscle mass--the more you have, the more calories you will burn, especially during cardio exercises. I started my journey back in Dec 2012 and was a a PBF of 43% and now I am at 18%. I started out doing pure cardio and eating healthier but as I started loosing a lot of weight, I began resistance training. Thus far I've lost 102 lbs of body fat and have gained 6 lbs of lean muscle. I don't have any loose or sagging skin (I don't know if it has to do with genetics) but I drink a lot of water, moisturize my skin daily (my whole body) and lift weights. I think that has helped considerably.

As for breaking through a plateau, resistance training definitely helped me on that front. Also, to start losing those last few pounds, I began doing more HIIT workouts. I don't know if you go to a gym, but if you do, you should look into whether or not they have any cross training classes. Good luck with the rest of your journey! And congratulations again! :)
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    So going on the premise that women don't build a lot of muscle and this "bag of skin" we live in has a lot of extra play from a large weight loss then just how much muscle would we assume needs to be gained in order to take up the slack from a 100 lb plus weight loss? I still think the whole lift heavy to shrink loose skin is BS. It's just something to do to occupy your time while nature takes it coarse and redistributes skin cells. If it happens then it's attributed to the lifting, if it doesn't happen then what?

If it doesn't happen, then you've only managed to increase lean body mass, decrease body fat, increase metabolic efficiency, increase tissue tensile strength, increase bone density, decrease physiological stress, among other things. Darn. All that for nothing.

Favourite post of the day :flowerforyou:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to lose weight. Loose skin can rebound, but it can take up to two years. After that, what you have is what you are going to have.

Instead of trying to lose weight, get yourself on your maintenance calories, eat lots of protein, start lifting weights, and try to do some body recomposition. There may be fat there, but eating at 1200 is not going to get rid of it as you can't lose it quickly. Progress now will be measured by a measuring tape more than the scale. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1164025-loose-skin-the-real-deal
  • Ultium
    Ultium Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a smart *kitten* but what is resistance training going to do for loose skin?

Nothing. It's one of the standard MFP myths.

Resistance training doesn't get rid of loose skin, but it makes the particular area look much better. Many weight lifting exercises, if not most, will work the core (abs) as secondary muscles. If you tone your abs any loose skin area on top of them will look significantly better, but how much better depends on how much loose skin you have. For someone who has not been weight training the difference can be like night and day. Don't waste your time with crunches. They are not very efficient. Just do weight training without worrying much about your abs. Throw in some core targeting exercises like planking if you like. If you do this consistently, over time you will be happy with the change in how your belly works. Take a before picture of your belly and check against it say once a month. You will see results.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a smart *kitten* but what is resistance training going to do for loose skin?

Nothing. It's one of the standard MFP myths.

Well, while resistance training may not help the loose skin directly, if you build up the muscle underneath the skin it can greatly improve the appearance.

I would say that depends on how much loose skin there is. If it's very much at all, you won't notice a difference.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options

My advice is similar to the earlier posters - don't rely on scale weight to estimate body fat - get the body fat properly measured to figure out whether this actually is "loose skin". Then decisions can be made from a position of knowledge.

This.

It just makes no sense to sit around guessing. Go get a comprehensive body composition test, and know for sure.

Nice idea, but there is nowhere around where I live that does such a test.
  • maleckathryn
    Options
    what counts as resistances/strength training? does cardio kickboxing count? we do squats, pushups, punches kicks, crunches, planks.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    This is one of those big things that my personal journey through weight loss has taught me. After I lost about 80-100 on my own I'm in the final stretch of my weight loss journey and am looking to get to around 18% body fat, which is about 7.5-11 pounds away for me. Listen, I have done research out the wazoo on this one. I even went to see a doctor, fearing the worst: That I needed a tummy tuck I couldn't afford. I was delighted when he said I have some excess skin, but would highly recommend lipo first. Do you know what that means? LIPOSUCTION MEANS FAT.

I've confirmed this online and with a friend who is a body builder, I have some excess skin, but I have a little fat left to lose.

People who tell you that they have excess skin which is more than 5-6mm thick when pinched still have residual fat. In that link earlier to Blue Eyed Betty, Yes, she has a good deal of excess skin, but she also has a HUGE amount of fat to still lose. As long as you don't have a super massive amount of skin left, It should tighten up reasonably so as your body fat gets down to a lower percentage. Yeah, this means that I have to work a little harder to get the jiggle off my middle. But I'm okay with that, because I'll get to have those rock hard abs.

Check out Sharee Hansen on Funeral for My Fat, this is a PERFECT example of actual loose skin instead of fat with loose skin, she shows her stomach in the video and you can clearly see it's just empty skin, and no more than a couple of millimeters thick. If you have 1 centimeter or more of pinch there, there is fat to lose. And I tested this theory on a place where I know that I have loose skin on my body, as well as on my dog who has yards of skin. (Sounds silly, but aside from fur their skin is still skin) It measured in at 4-6mm. Which is exactly where doctors on Real Self tell us skin should be.

So here is how you tell if it's legitimately fat or loose skin:

1: Does it jiggle? If so there is a 95% chance it's got fat inside
    2: Does it have a thickness of more than 6mm? It's got fat inside.
    3: Does it bounce if you push on it...probably fat.
    4: Does it form a roll when you bend over? probably fat.

Subcutaneous fat is a son of a monkey's uncle to get rid of. It sits just beneath the skin. It forms to the skin and wobbles and sags just like loose skin would. Skin is a living organism, why in the world would it contract if it's still got some fat there keeping it ... fluffy.

To combat loose skin you might have or to prevent it:

Take Vitamin C
    Take Fish Oil
    Exfoliate EVERY OTHER DAY
    Massage the area for thirty minutes
    Use Kokum mixed with cocoa butter to protect that skin.

Do cardio, pick up heavy things and put them back down. Don't even worry about loose skin until you reach 18 percent body fat. Seriously.

Good Luck Lady.

I always wonder if massage doesn't actually stretch the skin - especially on the face.
  • nmanza
    nmanza Posts: 1
    Options
    I am progressively loosing weight however my stomach doesn't seem to change much as I have a lot of loose skin from several years of gaining and loosing weight. I run and weight train but my stomach seems to not change much. I have pinched my hand and my belly fat and well they dont match so I know I have more fat to loose. So my question is can i loose or tighten the loose skin as I burn fat without having surgery? bc if my belly looked like my hand d he very happy.