How to let your family know you don't eat processed food?

Options
Okay, so on my dad's side of the family, they're not very wealthy or anything so they just get processed food for everything. I've been staying down here for two weeks and I have yet to eat something that's not from a box/jar/can. I haven't eaten ANY fresh vegetables or fruit and I'm feeling really sick. Usually I eat as healthily as I can, but here there isn't one thing healthy. I can feel myself getting sick and I've already gained weight. But I don't want to be a hassle and be "picky" about my food or so they call it. What should I do? Should I just leave and go back home and shorten my visit?

Replies

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Go shopping, buy the ingredients, and cook a meal for everyone. Show them how it's done.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat within your calorie goals so you don't gain weight...
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Well, you could go and get your own food but you would have to either make all of your own meals or cook for everyone.

I would just say "I really love fresh fruit" and go get yourself some to supplement the processed food. I don't know how "sick" you're feeling but I don't think 2 weeks is going to kill you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Okay, so on my dad's side of the family, they're not very wealthy or anything so they just get processed food for everything. I've been staying down here for two weeks and I have yet to eat something that's not from a box/jar/can. I haven't eaten ANY fresh vegetables or fruit and I'm feeling really sick. Usually I eat as healthily as I can, but here there isn't one thing healthy. I can feel myself getting sick and I've already gained weight. But I don't want to be a hassle and be "picky" about my food or so they call it. What should I do? Should I just leave and go back home and shorten my visit?
    Get in the car or on your own two feet, go to the store, get the food you want and make/eat it.
  • b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a
    b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same exact thing except I don't have an option to move back home.

Religiously weigh/measure your food and make sure you stay within your calorie goal and macros. Vegetables really aren't expensive so maybe you could go buy some?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Go shopping, buy the ingredients, and cook a meal for everyone. Show them how it's done.

This!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Well I wouldn't lie to them and say you don't eat processed food, since I'm sure you do. As for getting sick? My guess is it's psychosomatic
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'd probably shorten the visit.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options

+1. "Guys, I really appreciate you taking care of me while I'm down here. I thought tonight I'd give you a break and I'd cook something!" Or just show up with the food and start taking over the kitchen (works for my mom's side of the family).

For the rest of the visit, realize that some of that weight is probably water weight from all the sodium in the packaged food, and cut your portions back a smidge if you think it's real weight gain. If they pre-plate for you, you'll have to get artful at pushing food around while murmuring "oh it's so delicious, but I'm soooooo full..." followed by a post dinner walk to the store to get some fruit or something. :P

People also aren't too fond of very early morning walks, I've found, so if I need to slip out and grab some more substantial food from the grocery store, no one will ever offer to accompany me at 6:30-7 am. If your grocery store isn't open that early, well, at least walking is extra exercise to help burn the extra calories?
  • musicalityphan
    Options
    What the above two posters said! My in-laws are the same way; they only have fresh veggies if they're having a party with a veggie tray. The amount of processed ick my nephews get worries me. When I'm there, I eat as little of the processed stuff possible, and drink LOTS of water to combat the bloat from all the salt. Then if I find myself out and about I'll get something like a couple pieces of fruit or a salad (without all the extras) from a fast food place. Not ideal, but it works for just visiting.

Really though, you need to drink plenty of water if you're eating processed things because they're packed with sodium.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Unless you're picking food off the plant itself then it has some sort of process to get it to where you are. Unless you're eating tons of fried foods or sweets you're not going to get fat. All that really matters is that you eat within your calorie goals.

You won't get sick eating processed foods unless you have celiac disease or some other pre existing condition. You get sick from bacteria or virus invasions in your body.

VcHRGRq.gif
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

This is the correct answer.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If you're old enough to have a bit of money, make a dinner for everyone with cheap but healthy ingredients and show them it's possible. Or ask them to grab a few things for you on the grocery list, like canned fruit/veggies if they won't get fresh.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You should just go and buy some fruit.
    You can also get stuff for a salad and prepare for dinner.

Drinking more water can help a bit with the sickness because you're missing hydration from the fresh food.

If you think it would cause tension to tell them you're missing those foods that you're used to eating, if it's temporary just let it go but still buy a few things for yourself.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I see that you're 18 and I don't know your financial situation, but If you can buy some healthier stuff, go get it. Perhaps you can cook a meal of your choice for the family? If not, try to eat within your calorie goal to not gain weight. Drink a lot of water to help flush the sodium that's in that stuff.
    I know that if I eat processed food now, I get constipated and belly pain is no fun, especially when you're used to eating healthier. It's mainly because of the fat content and lack of fiber in the crappier food. If that's your problem, maybe suggest tacos? Who doesn't eat tacos? Mexican food usually does the job. Or lurk in the medicine cabinet and see if there are any fiber pills... I doubt they'd have any though.
    If you can't get relief, or get them to buy some healthier stuff, I'd go home!
    Good luck!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd probably go buy some fresh foods and make up some salad and other dishes to eat and share with everyone. I'd eat a big portion of fresh food at each meal and have a bit of what they're serving as well. If you're feeling ill, maybe it's less about the processed food in and of itself and more about a simple lack of dietary balance. :smile:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Unless you're picking food off the plant itself then it has some sort of process to get it to where you are. Unless you're eating tons of fried foods or sweets you're not going to get fat. All that really matters is that you eat within your calorie goals.

You won't get sick eating processed foods unless you have celiac disease or some other pre existing condition. You get sick from bacteria or virus invasions in your body.
    This is basically what I'm thinking.

Unless you only eat raw foods, you are regularly eating processed foods; cooking is technically processing. Processed food on its own isn't going to make you sick. You're just missing the way you usually eat. Drink some extra water to help flush the sodium out of your system.

If you have the means to cut the visit short then you should have the means to go to the store and buy your own food. Offer to cook a meal and/or supplement meals with some bagged salad greens, a steamed vegetable, etc.

ETA: If you don't have funds to buy the ingredients needed to cook a meal, ask your dad for the money. Tell him you want to thank them by cooking them your favorite meal but will need some help to buy the ingredients. Don't go all crazy on what you spend, make it something relatively cheap but fresh and healthy. Perhaps you'll give them a new meal they like to make on their own after you've left.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

VcHRGRq.gif

Ahhh Jesse....
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is just a fad anyway, eat within calories and nothing bad will happen to you!