NEED some good running shoes...

Options
So I recently began running again ( I used to run 2 miles in under 13 minutes), I ran/jogged/ walked a mile in 16 minutes!!! Anyways I need some good running shoes, about 4 days ago my right ankle started to hurt, but only when I run. So any suggestions, what's good for starters? THANKS in advance :drinker:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't run but do HIIT, I use the Brooks GTS-13 and GTS-14's as I needed a stability shoe since I pronate and have plantar fasciitis issues. They have really helped.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    i would highly recommend if you have a running store near you to go talk with them. I have pronation issues, so I need a different kind of shoe than some people, etc. I love my Brooks and Saucony running shoes though. Didn't have the best of luck with new balance.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in athletic shoes. They will be able to look at your gait and match you to a shoe that best suits your running/walking style. You might want to phone around and find a store with a fairly diverse collections of brands. Nike, New Balance, and Asics can be found almost everywhere, but not everywhere carries Brooks, Saucony, Adidas, Reeboks, etc.

Sketchers is not a running shoe company, no matter what style their shoes appear to follow.

I have wide feet, and had ankle surgery back in the 1990's, so I need a wide shoe with lots of cushion and support. That turned out to be Brooks GTS14. Only their most obnoxious color combination is made in wide, so that's what I have. You'll need to base your decision on function, not fashion. Otherwise you could wind up with injuries.

Depending on your physical condition now, you may need to start by walking and remain walking for quite a while before building up to running. Shoes last about 500 miles. If you think you'll need to be mostly walking for the next 300-400 miles, you also have the option of getting a walking shoe instead of a running shoe.
  • drey0422
    drey0422 Posts: 39
    Options
    I had no idea there are walking shoes too!
  • drey0422
    Options
    I also have flat feet (if that makes a difference).
  • badoerfan
    badoerfan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Seriously, go to the store, get your gait analysed by a pro, and see what shoes they recommend to you. There's so many variables that we can't advise you on here without having seen how you run.

It might be expensive, but it'll pay off in the long run.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I've got a partial tear in the ligament that holds the two bones together above my ankle, so I'm super picky about my runners because I need to have the support. I love New Balance, but really, everyone's needs are different.

Go to a store you trust. I noticed you're in the states, so maybe something like ****s? They seem pretty knowledgeable whenever I end up there, and lucky you since runners are half the cost there than they are where I am in Canada.

Good luck!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation to go to a specialized running store. Most will allow you to return the shoes if they don't work out. Spend the money for a good pair with a proper fit.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Seriously, go to the store, get your gait analysed by a pro, and see what shoes they recommend to you. There's so many variables that we can't advise you on here without having seen how you run.

It might be expensive, but it'll pay off in the long run.

^This is spot on^ Get your feet mapped by a professional. Everyone's feet are different. What works for me might not be for you. If you take care of your feet, they will take care of you.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a good running store around I would recommend you check out roadrunnersports.com. They have an online "fit test" you can use to figure out what type of shoes you need, it's actually pretty good.

Check out this link as well as their "shoe dog" shoe finder service. http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/choosing-running-shoes?cm_sp=footer-_-anchor-_-running_shoes
  • drey0422
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL SOO MUCH!!!