Making sure to get fruits and veggies in??

Options
Hi i kind of struggle with this. ha. I am trying to make sure but does anyone have any tips or tricks how to make sure to get them in?? and whenever i go for a snack maybe i dont choose the most unhealthy but i dont usually choose fruits and veggies unless i already had it planned out and i want to be able to just do it but it like. ya.... idk. anybody help?? :frown: :smile:

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Plan it. Not many office kitchens or vending machines have fruits and veggies for snacks. Two of my favorites are veggie sticks with hummus or celery with peanut butter.
  • ottacat
    ottacat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not complicated - you need to buy them at the grocery store and bring them as snacks. Fruits are easy as there is a wide selection and you can eat them pretty much as-is. For veggies I buy bell peppers and cut them into slices (takes like two minutes). Another good veggie snack option is baby carrots.
  • alyssa_6481
    alyssa_6481 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm with Lizzy.... plan it!

I buy several fruits and vegetables each week and cut them up on Sunday and put them into containers to make them easy to grab and go during the week. My boyfriend and I each have a container of fruit and a baggie with veggies and two hard boiled eggs for snacks each day. Once I have the portions for the week set aside I put the leftovers into a larger container that I can set out during meal times or bring to a last minute BBQ.

I also will plan a vegetable with most dinners during the week and we have at least one big salad night each week.

One other thing for me is that I try to buy in season and also mix up what I buy from week to week so we don't get sick of always having the same produce over and over.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I keep grapes on the counter - easy to grab snack and I munch on them all day long. Same with cherry tomatoes. Buy fresh melons at the store - cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, casaba, crenshaw - all sweet and tasty. Bring them home, cut one up into cubes and store it in the fridge for an easy snack to grab. Baby carrots, cut up sweet red/yellow/orange bell peppers, sugar snap peas, and grab some good quality hummus - excellent and easy snack.

So many good fruits are at the peak of their season right now and in the next few weeks - the grapes, peaches/nectarines, melons - get them while they're fresh! Pears are just starting to show up, and a new crop of apples will be on shelves before too long. Love these with some cheese or slice up apples and dip them in peanut butter.

As we head into fall start watching for the fall squashes - spaghetti, butternut and banana squash - all declicous, butternut especially roasted with a bit of olive oil, some smoked paprika or some fresh sage, salt & pepper. Add some raw pumpkin seeds and some sliced mushrooms - super yum.
  • dderbini
    Options
    I just switched from WW where fruits and vegetables are free and noticed that with eating fruit I am way over my daily sugar intake. Is this going to be a problem? Thanks in advance.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've actually started eating less fruit since logging cals on MFP. I am also ex WW and find that fruit has a lot calories. I used to have a banana on my cereal daily (110 cals) which I have cut out. Would have also eaten lots of grapes too, now more conscious of picking at them. I am trying to up my salad and veg though as they are less calorific.
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For veggies, find good recipes. Vegetarian and vegan websites usually have great recipes and omnivores can eat them too. Most people have a hard time eating veggies because they don't know how to cook them.

As for fruits, whenever you go to the supermarket, just buy a nice selection of fruit. Apples, peaches, plums, grapes, bananas, berries are some really quick and easy for snacks. Oranges, kiwi, mango, pineapple, candaloupe, watermelon are some that are a little more work but are definitely worth it. Just cut them up and keep them in the fridge and snack away.