Where do you find new diets?

Options
There are just an overwhelming amount of dieting information out there and I want to settle on a couple that i can go to. Do you guys get your diets from blogs/books/magazines/friends and what makes you trust the source that you pick? Thanks

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Everyone and their mother has some dieting information. Some people don't want you to eat carbs, some say stay away from meats (proteins) and almost everyone tells you stay away from fat. If I listened to everyone, I would be drinking water and eating ice cubes for the rest of my life. Which, admittedly, will make me lose weight but I'm pretty sure I don't wanna live like this.

Most of the folks came here after trying every non-sense diet and failing. Now, they don't put their trust in dr. Phill type of doctors who will try to sell them anything they can be convinced to buy. Folks here simply believe that if you consume fewer calories than what you spend all day in activities, you lose weight. You spend calories by doing anything and everything. Breathing, sleeping, moving, typing, walking, running. Everything. MFP factors how much you are spending and tell you how much you should be eating to lose some weight.

Most of the folks here have been here for years and they trust themselves and how well they can measure the food and their exercise. That is it. They also tend to listen to peer reviewed research rather than some fad magazine trying to sell them pills.
  • cherrylf
    cherrylf Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have truely found that diets don't work. Try to eat clean. That means as little processed foods as you can get by with. My trainer is great, he says we over think it. No chips, fried food, soda's or bread/cake. Not easy, but it has really worked for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There are just an overwhelming amount of dieting information out there and I want to settle on a couple that i can go to. Do you guys get your diets from blogs/books/magazines/friends and what makes you trust the source that you pick? Thanks
    I eat less and move more.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Lost 53 lbs and improved my fitness level exponentially with the eat less, move more and balance ma macros diet. It was free, too
  • 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "New diets" are often fads with no proven track record and can be at best, ineffective over the long run and at worst, unhealthy.

That said, I got my latest "diet" from the internet while searching for alternatives to medication to lower my cholesterol (the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes diet).

Your best bet is to use resources to find long term lifestyle changes that you can live with. This site is a good resource, as is Weight Watchers and some others.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i can't really tell you to look for new diets because i just do the calories in out thing,

but my advice would be to avoid ones that force you to avoid certain foods or macros, or claim you can eat as much as you want of a certain food or macro. unless your lucky and there happens to be an approach like that which lets you eat most of the foods you love. but in the end, no matter what the approach or dogma, its not going to work if you don't use more energy then you eat.

stratagies that focus on how much you eat, and when (like intermitent fasting) are for more effective and too the point if you ask me.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    From the Eat, Train, Progress (aka ETP) group. :) Why because I like to:

x-all-the-y-meme-generator-eat-all-the-food-1c0eba.jpg

within moderation and reason of course.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I find my new diet every Wednesday at the grocery store, when I see what's on sale for week.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't do "diets", but I do have a couple of cookbooks which I love. I've adjusted many recipes to more accurately fit my dietary requirements (less cheese, less fat, less simple starches, more lean protein, more vegetables) and this seems to work for me. Adapting what you already eat to fit your requirements is more sustainable that following someone else's idea of what you should be eating IMO.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Lost 53 lbs and improved my fitness level exponentially with the eat less, move more and balance ma macros diet. It was free, too
    In for free Macros!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    In for free Macros!

In even moar for yer face!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking for the latest fad miracle ridiculousness I just eat right and exercise. Amazing how much better it works that any nonsense in a magazine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I eat less and move more.

This^

I've done many diets....yet here I am. To keep weight (lost) from coming back you need to make some permanent lifestyle changes.

I can move more.....forever. I can eat more veggies (lower calorie, yet filling)...forever. I can snack less (not mindlessly)....forever.

IIFYM .....if it fits your macros. Measure portions and log them. Look at your macros.....carbs, fat, and protein. Some people bump up protein....others bump up fat. Your choice. Try to get a balance that is filling. Do what is sustainable for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here&page=1
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, Exercise.
  • slimtimchung
    slimtimchung Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What made you quit those diets?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The 'eat less, move more' diet is IMO the most efficient one. Rest is fads... that won't help you long term unless you're willing to stick to them forever.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What made you quit those diets?

I quit those diets because:

a. I lost the weight and was "done"....but to my surprise the weight I lost came back. Google the percentage of people who re-gain lost weight.....it's huge.
    b. I hated the food (low carb...or whatever).....it was not sustainable for me. Weight loss takes time....you have to live with it for awhile.

Successful weight loss (for me) is weight I don't have to lose over & over again. To keep the weight from coming back I have to change something permanently.

This is a quote I love (I don't know where it comes from) .....A temporary change leads to temporary results.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Everyone and their mother has some dieting information. Some people don't want you to eat carbs, some say stay away from meats (proteins) and almost everyone tells you stay away from fat. If I listened to everyone, I would be drinking water and eating ice cubes for the rest of my life. Which, admittedly, will make me lose weight but I'm pretty sure I don't wanna live like this.

Most of the folks came here after trying every non-sense diet and failing. Now, they don't put their trust in dr. Phill type of doctors who will try to sell them anything they can be convinced to buy. Folks here simply believe that if you consume fewer calories than what you spend all day in activities, you lose weight. You spend calories by doing anything and everything. Breathing, sleeping, moving, typing, walking, running. Everything. MFP factors how much you are spending and tell you how much you should be eating to lose some weight.

Most of the folks here have been here for years and they trust themselves and how well they can measure the food and their exercise. That is it. They also tend to listen to peer reviewed research rather than some fad magazine trying to sell them pills.

Yep. This.