Treadmill vs outdoor running

I've been following the couch to 5k programme and I'm currently on week 6. I did complete the programme previously but then went travelling for a year and did zero running so i was back to square one!

When I did it before I ran outside and noticed a big increase in the muscle tone of my legs and help with losing weight after around 3-4 weeks. However this time I've been running on a treadmill and the benefits don't seem to be as noticeable - my legs don't look much more toned then when I started!

Has anyone else found this? I assume it's because a treadmill is lower impact but I still would expect to see a different by now. Plus I'm running faster than I was when I ran outdoors.

Replies

• syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Bumped for later
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    I've been following the couch to 5k programme and I'm currently on week 6. I did complete the programme previously but then went travelling for a year and did zero running so i was back to square one!

When I did it before I ran outside and noticed a big increase in the muscle tone of my legs and help with losing weight after around 3-4 weeks. However this time I've been running on a treadmill and the benefits don't seem to be as noticeable - my legs don't look much more toned then when I started!

Has anyone else found this? I assume it's because a treadmill is lower impact but I still would expect to see a different by now. Plus I'm running faster than I was when I ran outdoors.
    WEll when you run outside you have that extra push off on every step that helps the muscles whereas the TM belt propels your legs for you.

Try doing it an incline of 1-2 on the TM. That helps a bit better to simulate outside running that just lfat on the TM