Any Chefs Here?...Career Question

Options
LoneWolf_70
LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
I have a 14yo who has expressed an serious interest (serious for a 14yo) in becoming a Chef. Ive looked up the realities of the challenge of being successful and looked up the top 3 schools and their tuition (basically 40-60k per yr.) Im just curious if anyone has or isa Chef, friends/related to a Chef who could give some further insight?

As an aside he is currently in Jr Air Force/Civil AIr Patrol and my advice is to enlist, do the 4 yrs, then he could go to school on the GI Bill (which based on the online calculator would pay for 40-60% of the tuition depending on the school.)

ANy feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies

• Drama_Free_Zone
    Options
    Have a love of cooking and the willingness and ability to work sub-par jobs just to get the experience necessary to get the foot in under a decent chef. I know more than a few chefs who went through all the schooling in the world, are great and in the end.. found jobs at Red Lobster and Olive Garden.
  • SugarBabyGirl
    SugarBabyGirl Posts: 7,026 Member
    Options
    My sister is a pastry chef. She went through culinary school and then moved into pastry. She does it for the love of it... her food is artful. Currently she is THE pastry chef at a Michelin starred hotel. It has been a very tough climb for her. BUT she has worked in Japan, taken courses in France, Norway, Germany and she currently lives in London. She regularly gets articles written about her and her work in foodie publications and she teaches chocolate and afternoon tea classes on occasion at the hotel.

She has also not had a Christmas or other holiday off in probably 12 years and Friday and Saturday nights are spent in the kitchen.

Good luck to your child! (Who will probably change his / her mind 100 times between now and Tuesday! :laugh: )
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    Thanks all, this is great info.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've seen people do really well, and I've seen people struggle.

A good friend of ours, and my grandmother. Both wonderful wonderful chefs.
    Grandmother struggled financially always.
    The good friend of ours now sells ADT security systems and has $40.000 in loans to pay off.

So there is that. I love my kids and want them to follow their dreams, and money isn't everything. But I would steer them in another direction.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of friends who are chefs and I'm currently in a culinary certificate program. I'm doing that over actual culinary school because I can't quit my job. I work in marketing and do blog editing, food writing and guide recipe concepting for a kitchen appliance company. I also write a personal food blog and test recipes for a James Beard Award-winning website.

My chef friends love what they do. Some are executive chefs who have started their own restaurants, while some own food trucks and some work under chefs they admire. I only know one person working in a chain restaurant, but we're not really a chain restaurant kind of city. I think it depends a lot on your drive and where you choose to work. A lot of these people I know could have ended up working for chains if they had gone to the suburbs or not lived in a city with a rapidly growing food scene. There are a lot of variables and you have to be willing to take calculated risks, but it has been worth it for 99% of my friends.

That said, a few of them never went to culinary school and are self taught. I think it comes down to drive and effort in the end.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    IN Canada there is a culinary school at SAIT Polytechnic... a 2 year program... the students that come out of this school are some of the best "cooks" anywhere...there is also an apprenticeship program that is a earn as you learn thing over 4 years... becoming a chef is a hard row to hoe... I understand your kid is probably caught up with some of the TV personalities out there and has some sort of expectations that his effort will lead to fame and fortune... I would suggest you find some biographies or autobiographies of some of these quasi-celebrities and have the kid read several to get an idea of the struggles.. cooking IS an art... and like all practicing artists.. you have to love it or you will never succeed...
  • BrillFit
    BrillFit Posts: 368
    Options
    Its an incredibly difficult and time consuming job.

Generally speaking the pay isn't good unless you're one of the best.

People do it for the love of cooking, the passion and the joy they get from seeing others eating their food.

Expect very very very very long days.

With that being said, I am incredibly excited for my future in the industry =)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Have a love of cooking and the willingness and ability to work sub-par jobs just to get the experience necessary to get the foot in under a decent chef. I know more than a few chefs who went through all the schooling in the world, are great and in the end.. found jobs at Red Lobster and Olive Garden.

This!^

My brother is a chef ......great school (Kendall)....long hours....crappy pay....and he is the head chef.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    If he has a sincere passion for it, I believe he should pursue it and you should encourage him

I've wanted to be a Chef all my life. However, life takes it's own turns while you are making plans.

I am going to retire in a couple of years and we are relocating so I can go to Culinary School. I'll never work as a Chef, but I will have the skills.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The top culinary schools might have a requirement for some working experience in kitchens. It certainly will help him out either way.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    My son is 14 (15 in October) and starts High School this month.

He has taken culinary classes in 7th and 8th grade. Loves the cooking part of it. Nothing wrong with that.

Also may or may not join the military.

We live in the Greater Houston, TX area.

My husband's cousin is in his 30's and went to culinary school. He graduated last year sometime and has been back and forth between "regular" jobs and jobs in kitchens. He is in a small town in Ohio.

That said, we believe that he really likes to cook for fun and not for money. He's taking classes for engineering (In what he's not decided). We encourage him to continue to enjoy his culinary skills but for fun, not for profit.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options

yeah, I have that printed out for him already, but not giving it to him yet, because i dont want to come across as "killing the dream"
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options

He has taken culinary classes in 7th and 8th grade. Loves the cooking part of it. Nothing wrong with that.

My husband's cousin is in his 30's and went to culinary school. He graduated last year sometime and has been back and forth between "regular" jobs and jobs in kitchens. He is in a small town in Ohio.

That said, we believe that he really likes to cook for fun and not for money. He's taking classes for engineering (In what he's not decided). We encourage him to continue to enjoy his culinary skills but for fun, not for profit.

very cool. I hope youve looked at the prices of the big 3...holy crap.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My husband was/is a chef. The hours ARE long, right now he works for a friend's wedding venue, usually 1 weekend day a week, sometimes back to back days, like a Saturday and Sunday. He is usually gone for 12 hours on the days he works. That said, he loves it. He loves cooking and he gets to do it while working with someone he's known for 40 years. He and I met in a restaurant. Cooking really is his passion, even at home. He is disabled and can't work any more than what he does anymore. He has had over 20 surgeries on his feet, so he pays for it every time he works. It doesn't pay all that great, even when we both worked at a very nice steakhouse where we met. I was a waitress/cocktail waitress and I made a lot more than he did.

When he was in the navy, he did the cooking on the ship he was stationed on. That was back when he was in his late teens and early twenties, so he's always had the passion for cooking, too.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    I have only seen people fail at this.

My understanding is that it's extremely stressful work, it's very low paying, it's completely a night life.

But, if he's OK with that, I say go for it. I wish more people would follow their passions rather than make rational decisions with their careers. You only get one chance at life. It's OK to screw up when you're young.

My son wants to be a professional surfer. I could discourage him and tell him about the low pay and the drugs that run rampant in that. Instead, I encourage him as much as I can. It's a long shot, but who knows? We should encourage risk not damper it with rational decisions.

i kinda of agree with thI can explain/show him the risks, but I dont think he will get it. Theres time for sure, but i guess ill just follow a delicate balance.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options

We aren't "from" Texas but he was born here. If by big 3 you mean Maroon color, burnt orange color, or Rice... well, he's looking at Rice. We also told him we aren't paying for his college. (Or a Car or his rent, etc).

But he might also move to Florida to live with my mom and go to school there. As you know at this age life is a game of 52 pick-up. Throw it in the air and see where things land.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options

We aren't "from" Texas but he was born here. If by big 3 you mean Maroon color, burnt orange color, or Rice... well, he's looking at Rice. We also told him we aren't paying for his college. (Or a Car or his rent, etc).

But he might also move to Florida to live with my mom and go to school there. As you know at this age life is a game of 52 pick-up. Throw it in the air and see where things land.

no, i meant the big 3 culinary schools (according to most in the culinary schools, these r the only ones that matter)

Johnson and Wales
    The International Culinary Institute
    The Culinary Institute of America
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options

no, i meant the big 3 culinary schools (according to most in the culinary schools, these r the only ones that matter)

Johnson and Wales
    The International Culinary Institute
    The Culinary Institute of America

Ha, no. My son isn't looking into culinary schools. I misunderstood your question, sorry about that!! Generally people think of Texas as UT, A&M, and "other."

I'm not sure where my cousin-in-law attended his culinary school. (Just checked, it was Hocking College Culinary Arts).