Can someone please look at my food diary?

Options
So... I have lost 90 lbs in the last four years but I have been stuck at the same weight for a few months now. I eat at a deficit most days and try to eat pretty healthy most of the time. I work out with a trainer 2 days a week(lifting pretty heavy these days) and run a few miles 3 days a week. I am by no means perfect but generally even a splurge these days is thought out and planned and is never anything as extravagant as pizza. (my one true love) Obviously Something needs to be tweaked a little. MFP has me eating 1490 a day and I always eat my exercise calories back. Please don't respond if you are going to tell me to never eat another carb again or that I need to eat 1200 calories a day. Thank you in advance!

PS I have not been measured in a couple of months so if I see changes there I will be satisfied temporarily but I would still like some input. 40 to go!

Replies

• sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sorry my diary was on friends only but I changed it
  • alyssa_6481
    alyssa_6481 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You may want to recalculate how many calories you need based on your current weight rather than your original weight.

Also mix things up. In your workout and in your diet.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What's with the coffee creamer - 15 teaspoons ??
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When your weight "plateaus" it could be an indication that yes, something needs to change. Or it could be an indication that you are gaining muscle and losing fat. Do you use any other metrics besides just weight, for example have you taken any measurements of your waist, thigh, upper arm, neck, wrist/ankle etc? If you can afford it, a digital scale that records your fat % and muscle weight can be very helpful. They aren't super expensive (depending on your budget that is) we were able to get ours at Costco for around $40.

As far as activity level, have you ever tried High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)? It has been shown to be very effective at raising metabolism for hours after the exercise session has ended. It's also very easy to do with no equipment.

I would like to address your comment about "don't tell me to never eat another carb" - lowering carb intake *can* be a very effective way to amp up your weight loss, as long as you are still getting enough protein and good fats. If you are willing to try limiting it, down to say 100 a day or less, you might be pleasantly surprised at the results just from that small adjustment. But I do agree that completely zero carb is not a good idea.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Or it could be an indication that you are gaining muscle and losing fat.

No.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Are you using the recipe builder tool for your mashed cauliflower and chicken thighs? I'm a little skeptical that you're actually eating "1 serving" every time, because you're not weighing your food. Also, I don't see any cooking oils logged (for example, unless you're dry-scrambling your egg in the morning, it has more than 58 calories).
  • tr3kkie9rl
    Options

No.

Care to elaborate on that? It is a very common occurrence.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Are you using the recipe builder tool for your mashed cauliflower and chicken thighs? I'm a little skeptical that you're actually eating "1 serving" every time, because you're not weighing your food. Also, I don't see any cooking oils logged (for example, unless you're dry-scrambling your egg in the morning, it has more than 58 calories).

I would agree^ ...lot of "servings" and cups....I thought I was under my calorie goal all the time, with food added from the database and was shocked to see how different the actual cals were.....need to weigh everything and check the nutritional content on MFP for yourself!
  • AliceDark
    Options

No.

It's very difficult to gain muscle, and it only happens under certain conditions (either eating at a surplus and lifting relatively heavy weights within a certain rep range, or someone who is brand-new to lifting and has a high percentage of body fat). The OP isn't gaining muscle by accident.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

No.

It's very difficult to gain muscle, and it only happens under certain conditions (either eating at a surplus and lifting relatively heavy weights within a certain rep range, or someone who is brand-new to lifting and has a high percentage of body fat). The OP isn't gaining muscle by accident.

^this

If muscle building were that easy I wouldn't be going through the trouble of bulking for a half a year+. I'd just maintain my weight with that theory. Sadly, you need energy, aka excess calories, to convert to muscle. You also need a proper amount of protein and a ideally a good hypertrophy lifting routine. Again, it doesn't happen by accident.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating fewer snacky-type foods (especially the nuts and creamer) and more real, minimally-processed foods. You may want to increase your protein intake, too.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I would agree^ ...lot of "servings" and cups....I thought I was under my calorie goal all the time, with food added from the database and was shocked to see how different the actual cals were.....need to weigh everything and check the nutritional content on MFP for yourself!

Agree with all of this. How many calories are in 1/6 cup of cheese? OP get a scale, start weighing solids because you are probably eating more than you think.
  • Lou_Darling93
    Options
    For one, I'd get a food scale. No more estimating portions- know exactly how many calories in.

Get a heart rate monitor to know exactly how many calories out.

I'd eat less fat as well- I looked through a few days and you're over it there- and I'd also maybe consider getting less calories from high-sugar fruits.

What's your height, weight?
    You should find out your TDEE, calculate a daily calorie goal based on a 500 calorie deficit and stick to it.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

No.

No it's not.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    What's with the coffee creamer - 15 teaspoons ??

This is what I was wondering, too! One day is says 18 tsps.! Is that correct? What are you putting it in? Or using it for?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

No.

Maybe this is why I keep accidentally ripping the sleeves on all my t-shirts when I open the peanut butter :(
  • tr3kkie9rl
    Options
    I was under the impression that when you are doing even minimal exercise, which the OP has stated she does, you can lose fat but not show a weight loss because of muscle weight that may be added. Not saying I am right at all, that's just what I thought lol
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

No.

Maybe this is why I keep accidentally ripping the sleeves on all my t-shirts when I open the peanut butter :(

^ OK, this made me laugh out loud. :drinker:
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that when you are doing even minimal exercise, which the OP has stated she does, you can lose fat but not show a weight loss because of muscle weight that may be added. Not saying I am right at all, that's just what I thought lol

Water retention maybe, but definitely not muscle gain.
  • AliceDark
    Options
    I was under the impression that when you are doing even minimal exercise, which the OP has stated she does, you can lose fat but not show a weight loss because of muscle weight that may be added.
    No, sadly, it's much more difficult than that. That's a very common misconception and you see that idea floating around the boards a lot here, but in reality most people have to fight tooth and nail, under ideal conditions, to increase their muscle mass.

What does tend to happen a lot is that people start a new exercise routine, their muscles hold onto water to repair themselves, and that short-term water retention masks the fat loss for a little while. This gets interpreted as "losing fat while gaining muscle," but they're not actually gaining muscle mass, just water. You can also increase strength while lifting and eating at a deficit, so people see that they're lifting heavier things and think they're adding new muscle mass, but that's not true (you can gain strength without gaining size). The last thing that tends to happen is that you lose the fat that was on top of the muscle, so the muscle "looks" bigger, but in reality it isn't.