How to let your family know you don't eat processed food?

Options

Replies

• LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is just a fad anyway, eat within calories and nothing bad will happen to you!

Not for me; clean eating got me off diabetic meds and cured my IBS, GERD, anxiety, sleep problems and more. You will never convince me (or anyone else for that matter) that eating foods the way that Mother Nature created them is a "fad".

Your profile says you use erythritol and stevia in baking. Neither one of those is in the same form which Mother Nature created them - both were processed for you to be able to use them to bake. So you do eat processed foods.

You actually read that whole thing? You have the patience of a saint. :smile:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Go shopping, buy the ingredients, and cook a meal for everyone. Show them how it's done.

This. I can totally understand how you're feeling. Anyone that is saying just eat within your calorie range and don't worry about it is so wrong and doesn't understand how their body works. All the processed/boxed junk is so bad for us and doesn't contribute anything to our bodies. Losing weight and eating more healthily(is that a word?, lol) is WAY more then staying within a calorie goal.

I would let them know that you are feeling like crap because of the processed junk and make some meals for them. Or if they absolutely won't have anything to do with it, I'd get my own stuff and make some meals for myself or at the very least some more nutritious sides.
    jon-stewart-nonono.gif
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Go shopping, buy the ingredients, and cook a meal for everyone. Show them how it's done.

This. I can totally understand how you're feeling. Anyone that is saying just eat within your calorie range and don't worry about it is so wrong and doesn't understand how their body works. All the processed/boxed junk is so bad for us and doesn't contribute anything to our bodies. Losing weight and eating more healthily(is that a word?, lol) is WAY more then staying within a calorie goal.

I would let them know that you are feeling like crap because of the processed junk and make some meals for them. Or if they absolutely won't have anything to do with it, I'd get my own stuff and make some meals for myself or at the very least some more nutritious sides.

Lol. I am pretty darn sure that my knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and nutrition exceeds yours.
  • sharim1948
    Options
    Teach by example. It costs more for the jars/boxes/cans, but is not as fast to prepare. I go to my southern kin and I know they fry, I go and show them how I eat using better choices.

In our home I cleaned out the pantry and donated to the food bank what I will not eat...

If they can see the process (at least while you are there) and feel better in the long run who know what changes they will make.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Actually, most dietitians who specialize in diabetes management and endocrinologists DO suggest a whole foods diet for pre-diabetic and diabetic patients.

She is choosing to manage it through clean eating, you chose another route. Your choice isn't better than hers and her choice isn't better than yours. End of story.

P.s. Many individuals lose lots of weight and that doesn't help their diabetes, unfortunately. Once again, just because it applies to you doesn't mean it applies to everyone else.

Good luck...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is just a fad anyway, eat within calories and nothing bad will happen to you!

Not for me; clean eating got me off diabetic meds and cured my IBS, GERD, anxiety, sleep problems and more. You will never convince me (or anyone else for that matter) that eating foods the way that Mother Nature created them is a "fad".

Your profile says you use erythritol and stevia in baking. Neither one of those is in the same form which Mother Nature created them - both were processed for you to be able to use them to bake. So you do eat processed foods.
    Another anti-processed food person who eats processed food. LOL, I guess practicing what you preach is hard.
  • LifeWithPie
    Options

Wow. I'm curious as to why your diary is closed. Please open it so the world can learn how to cure their illnesses through your Mother Nature inspired eating plan.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    User posted 2 days ago about eating taco hamburger helper and cookies. Pretty sure she has no legs to stand on with family regarding saying to them, "I don't eat processed food!'

OP: If you're finding it hard to stay within your daily calories while eating more-processed, calorie dense foods, you could request that your dad pick up some inexpensive fresh food, like eggs and bananas. Both are reasonably filling.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    User posted 2 days ago about eating taco hamburger helper and cookies. Pretty sure she has no legs to stand on with family regarding saying to them, "I don't eat processed food!'

OP: If you're finding it hard to stay within your daily calories while eating more-processed, calorie dense foods, you could request that your dad pick up some inexpensive fresh food, like eggs and bananas. Both are reasonably filling.

Ok, that made me laugh.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Yeah… no. Clean eating isn't a fad. It's a lifestyle just like those who choose to eat fast food, chips, and cookies. Some people simply don't WANT to eat those foods and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Clean eating isn't a real thing, so not sure how it can be a lifestyle
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Yeah… no. Clean eating isn't a fad. It's a lifestyle just like those who choose to eat fast food, chips, and cookies. Some people simply don't WANT to eat those foods and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Uh, it is a real thing.

Clean eaters focus on whole foods (nuts, seeds, fruits, veggies). They pay attention to ingredient lists and don't consume artificial additives or GMOs. They make their own salad dressing and protein bars.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Uh, it is a real thing.

Clean eaters focus on whole foods (nuts, seeds, fruits, veggies). They pay attention to ingredient lists and don't consume artificial additives or GMOs. They make their own salad dressing and protein bars.

I should rephrase. Clean eating is a real thing, but it is certainly not what you suggest.

Clean eating is whatever helps you meet your goals to become more fit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Uh, it is a real thing.

The problem that you're going to run into is that all clean eaters seem to define it differently. Ask ten self-proclaimed clean eaters and they'll give you 10 different definitions, along with different exceptions that they allow. It causes some people to question what it really is if there's not even one definition that everyone can agree on.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Uh, it is a real thing.

I should rephrase. Clean eating is a real thing, but it is certainly not what you suggest.

Clean eating is whatever helps you meet your goals to become more fit.

Okay, think whatever you want :smile:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Uh, it is a real thing.

Quote from the link I posted earlier:
    "What Does “Clean” Even Mean?

Clean is such an ambiguous term, and the definition of a clean food changes depending on who you speak to – Talk to your typical bodybuilder, and they’ll say that brown rice, sprouted grain bread and cream of wheat are all clean carbs. Someone on the Paleo diet though – those “clean” carbs are now forbidden foods, as, in the Paleo follower’s eyes, grains are evil. They prefer a clean diet of nuts, seeds, in-season veggies, fish and meat.

“Hold it there”

In comes the vegetarian – “what’s so clean about animal products?” According to them, we shouldn’t be eating these – we need a diet full of fruit, beans and legumes. And so it goes on and on. There’s no single definition of clean, and it can’t be quantified. What can be quantified however, is calories and macronutrients."
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Uh, it is a real thing.

Clean is such an ambiguous term, and the definition of a clean food changes depending on who you speak to – Talk to your typical bodybuilder, and they’ll say that brown rice, sprouted grain bread and cream of wheat are all clean carbs. Someone on the Paleo diet though – those “clean” carbs are now forbidden foods, as, in the Paleo follower’s eyes, grains are evil. They prefer a clean diet of nuts, seeds, in-season veggies, fish and meat.

“Hold it there”

In comes the vegetarian – “what’s so clean about animal products?” According to them, we shouldn’t be eating these – we need a diet full of fruit, beans and legumes. And so it goes on and on. There’s no single definition of clean, and it can’t be quantified. What can be quantified however, is calories and macronutrients."

Thanks for the lovely quote
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Uh, it is a real thing.

“Hold it there”

Thanks for the lovely quote

IK,R?
    It's very succinct and illustrates the point very well. Nice job!
  • LifeWithPie
    Options

Uh, it is a real thing.

Is that like..a requirement?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Uh, it is a real thing.

Is that like..a requirement?

With no GMO I guess that means 90% of fruit is out the door......
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Okay, so on my dad's side of the family, they're not very wealthy or anything so they just get processed food for everything. I've been staying down here for two weeks and I have yet to eat something that's not from a box/jar/can. I haven't eaten ANY fresh vegetables or fruit and I'm feeling really sick. Usually I eat as healthily as I can, but here there isn't one thing healthy. I can feel myself getting sick and I've already gained weight. But I don't want to be a hassle and be "picky" about my food or so they call it. What should I do? Should I just leave and go back home and shorten my visit?

Run around the house going "neener neener, you are all gonna die and I am not"

Srs though, you are spending time w/ your family and you can't enjoy yourself cause of the food??:huh: :huh:

Go to the dang store and buy some veggies then.