chest fat for guys (moobs)

Options
First off, I'd like to say that I understand there is no such thing as spot fat reduction. I'm in college right now and have always been fat. I've also always had self-esteem issues from being mocked about having a fat chest (moobs) growing up. It's probably a minor thing but when you're changing for gym class in elementary school and guys grab your chest commenting on how nice your boobs look, the memory pretty much stays permanent (at least in my case). I understand there are medical conditions and prescription drugs that can cause moobs to form, but I don't think that's the case here. I was wondering if the guys out there had any success with losing your moobs as you got fitter? It's going to sound weird, but any guys have pics? I've lost four inches off my waist and it doesn't feel like my chest has gotten any smaller. I'm very concerned that I'll end up with a flatter stomach but still have this huge saggy chest.

Replies

• MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    oh man, you really are asking the right questions.

I would love to read the reponses, and see so before and after pics.

Give us moobie men some hope!
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Back in the day when I was "fitter" I would focus on chest exercises, (Bench, butterflys, etc.). I never did loose the moobs, but they were at least a little more firm. In highschool I could bench over 300 lbs and I still had a girl write in my yearbook that I had big boobs. I was pretty well proportioned and only weighed 180. So I can only imagine what some are saying now because I know I sure feel extremely selfconcious about them.

I'm holding out hope someone has some answers or examples to share?
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you lift, stop flat benching and start incline benching, dumbell,barbell, and incline flys this will start building mass in your upper chest and offset the mass in the lower. It will take a while but it works
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My moobs are FINALLY starting to get a bit smaller--after a 245+ pound loss. You can't pick where the fat comes off, unfortunately.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i've got some big ol moobies. if i remember ill post my progress pics here tn, people ive shown the pics to say theyve shrunk but they havent changed all that much in my eyes

dont stress it. they will go away once you get down to a low enough bf%, unless you have developed gynecomastia (glandular tissue forming) which is really rare

nobody really cares if you have moobs other than you, i can tell you that.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    If you lift, stop flat benching and start incline benching, dumbell,barbell, and incline flys this will start building mass in your upper chest and offset the mass in the lower. It will take a while but it works

he has it right you have to hit that chest more frequent at least twice a week
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Every person is different so each person loses weight in different areas faster than others....there now that that PC stuff is said let me tell you what I have noticed about myself. When I gain weight, I gain it in the face and moobs first. I have a very broad chest naturally and pectorals are very easy for me to add muscle. When I lose weight I lose it in the face then it will vary between the gut and moobs, and last is inner thighs. Spot burning is a myth yes but I do notice when I hit the bench a bit more I do tend to lose the moobs a bit quicker. They get bigger at first(from muscle) but drop down as I continue. From the side I look like I am 250 but from the front I look like my torso is an hour glass and weight 290(which I am). I am not sure whether "flat bench" increases less than other forms but that is how I have always gained my muscle the fastest. I personally dont like incline and decline and butterflies are bad on the shoulders when you do heavy weights.

Lifting is about experimenting. Do a workout for a few weeks and tweak it as you go. Take out what doesnt work and add something new and eventually you will get there. Just be sure you keep doing cardio. That is key when trying to lose weight.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

muscle is rarely the issue when it comes to moobs, its fat. same as stomach fat, you dont just stop doing core work to get a flat stomach. you wont be gaining muscle when trying to lose fat anwyay
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My moobs went first, the beer belly is holding on for grim death though..
  • TeKr1967
    TeKr1967 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good question! Responses, especially on the weight training, will be helpful as I embark on my own program.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My moobs have decreased, but I still have a ways to go. Keep losing fat, and build the muscle up. Seriously considered that if I can not get rid of them (and mine were BAD) I will see a plastic surgeon to get them corrected. However, I want to hit under 10% bf and hold it for a while before I go to that point.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

+1 Dumbells are great for really working the upper chest

This guy didn't have huge moobs but some guys might find this helpful

http://skinnyfattransformation.com/puffy-nipples/
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    all i know is that once i hit my target body fat % and weight goals, and if the moobies are still noticable to the point it bothers me, i will get the surgery done.
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    my son was overweight all his teen years and had some pretty prominent moobs. He is 26 now and skinny as a rail but now just has saggy moobs :( Used to really hurt seeing him suffer the bullying associated with it and low self esteem.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's very possible. Here's a before and after pic. Sorry, you'll have to imagine me without my shirt in the first pic.:laugh:

1i3bs.jpg

I do a fair amount of pushups and bar bell presses.
  • rover8098
    Options
    Brilliant post! I have the same issue and it's tempting to focus more on chest exercises, but I'm just concentrating on overall weight/bf% loss and so far pleased with what I've lost. Just annoys me that there are guys much heavier than me with a beer belly but have no moobs. I'm also finding it hard to shift the fat from the side of my chest, but i'm hoping that with time and as I lose more weight and bf%, the fat in the chest area will go down too.
    Also annoys me how with the weight I've lost, I can now fit in to t-shirts size 'L', but the only area where the t-shirt sticks is around my chest. Have actually now bought myself a 'L' t-shirt and it's part of my motivation to wear it one day and look good!
  • markgdub
    Options
    No one has asked, so I will.

What is your diet like? And how much cardio do you do?

You can't expect results if you have a poor diet and only lift weights.
  • Ratrap
    Ratrap Posts: 153
    Options
    in for answers/ success stories for encouragment
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Weights, weights, weights! Build muscle mass and there are two benefits: 1. you burn fat faster 2. the muscle mass makes the moobies look smaller. I am finally at a point where I feel comfortable with my shirt off in public.

Remember the Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Jerry's father invent the "bro"?
  • greenaznpanda
    greenaznpanda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for all the replies!
    Brilliant post! I have the same issue and it's tempting to focus more on chest exercises, but I'm just concentrating on overall weight/bf% loss and so far pleased with what I've lost. Just annoys me that there are guys much heavier than me with a beer belly but have no moobs. I'm also finding it hard to shift the fat from the side of my chest, but i'm hoping that with time and as I lose more weight and bf%, the fat in the chest area will go down too.
    Also annoys me how with the weight I've lost, I can now fit in to t-shirts size 'L', but the only area where the t-shirt sticks is around my chest. Have actually now bought myself a 'L' t-shirt and it's part of my motivation to wear it one day and look good!

I have the same problem. Shirts that fit my chest are too loose for the rest of my body. The problem is more prominent when I wear t shirts, so now I almost exclusively wear button up shirts.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!