Calling all tall females!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Nny_Dead
    Nny_Dead Posts: 13
    Options
    Yes!!! Tall girls hold weight differently for sure. I'm 6'0" tall and me at a healthy weight... is about 190. That fits my body frame perfectly. I'm broader built. If my weight drops below this I start to look sickly. So yeah... it is definitely different for the tall ladies out there!
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and weigh 172. I'd like to get to 20% body fat so whatever that weight ends up being. Right now my ticker says my goal weight 135lb but that's just my guess...
    Growing up in Asia where every female is thin I was always considered "fat" even when I weighed 130ish. That's crazy!!
    Living in America has made me appreciate my body. I love that I have a big frame, wide shoulders and runner's thigh.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and I currently weigh 158.

My goal right now is to get to around 145-150, and more of less focus on the inches and recomp instead of just the scale!

People are surprised when I say I want to lose 15lbs+, perks of being tall!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Most people don't realize that a woman who looks healthy and is in the 5'11-6'1 range might actually be 190-200 lbs. It also means that a 5 lb loss is not even noticeable. I didn't get rampant compliments until I lost 30+ lbs.

Mindbender:

5'11 woman, 179 lbs. BMI 25. Overweight.
    5'4.5* woman, 148 lbs. BMI 25. Overweight

5'4.5 is the average height of an American woman.
  • fricketyfrack
    fricketyfrack Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that tall girls carry their weight better. I'm 5'9" and most people guess my weight to be 110-115.... i'm 135 haha :) it's not about the weight as much as your measurements +blood pressure. And where you're happy!
  • SonyaKou
    SonyaKou Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's so true that we carry it differently. I find that when I am standing up no one can tell I'm just little overweight according to my BMI. As soon as I sit down though, I have the belly roll and when I'm stretching I'll see all the fat squishing together on my thighs. It's nice to know that you can hide it, but at the same time, you always know it's there. lol.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm there at 5'9" and I need to lose 100 lbs. It's clear to anyone that I'm overweight, but nobody believes that I have 100 lbs to lose. They think I'm trying to starve myself and get to an unrealistic number. I have to admit though, it is really nice to have all of the height for my weight to distribute through. My mom and sister are both short, as are my aunts, grandma, cousins, and every female on my mom's side of the family, so they really have to watch every single pound, because the difference of a couple of pounds is equivalent to a pants/dress size.

I completely relate to so many of these posts!! I am 5'8" and have lost 133 lb, but when I have (rarely) told real-life friends, family, and acquaintances, they give me the weirdest looks and say there is NO WAY I could have weighed that much. I've also had people look at my worst "before" photos and guess me at a bit over 200, rather than 307...not just being nice, but they expect a lot more width and chin rolls and so forth at 300 lb. And I get it...I do think when I was at 260 for years I didn't look that different from a lot of women around 215-220 who are 5'3 or 5'4. So I understand somewhat and yep, very glad that I could "carry my weight well" even though I was carrying 100+ more of that than necessary ;-)

It's a common issue when we are taller. I have an MFP friend who is 6' and 280-ish and looks very similar to how I did at 5'8" and 215-220.
  • emjohnston2014
    Options
    Im 6'0 and 160 pounds...and all my short friends go on and on about how 160 is alot and how theyd die if they weigh that much...but they dont seem to get that 160 looks totally different on someone whos 5'3 !!!
  • katnance1974
    katnance1974 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am 5'8" and 230 lbs and people never think I am as heavy as I am. When I tell them I want to lose 60-70 lbs they think I will waste away to nothing. It is very frustrating because I know how heavy I am , but apparently I don't look it :/ It also takes significant loss for anyone to notice anything...
  • KeshiaBanks
    KeshiaBanks Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You're right. I am 5'10 and 140 and some of my friends said i am too skinny. I say do whats best for your health and *kitten* what everyone else say.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Do you find that you carry your weight different from your "shorter" friends?

I'm 5'8 and right at 201.5lbs. This puts me into a obese BMI category, therefore I need/want to lose 30lbs or so. I'm also happier at the 165-170lb weight!

But, friends will comment on my goals and say, 30-40 lbs....you'll be nothing! Little do they know what the scale says etc!

Thoughts? Support!!!!

TIA
    J

Of course you carry your weight differently than your shorter friends. You're taller and therefore have more body mass than them. If you took two ladies who were both 200 pounds, but one was 5'8 and the other 5'2, don't you think the 5'8 gal would appear slimmer than her shorter counterpart?

BMI charts are silly. Don't put any stock into them.

There's a very easy way to remedy your problem. Don't tell other people you want to lose weight. :flowerforyou:
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    This young lady looks tall.

jimcarrey_vera_zps8af11cf6.jpg
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    ....more of less focus on the inches and recomp instead of just the scale!

I believe what was stated above is THE most important advice offered in this thread.