Steak on the foreman grill?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I keep hearing that it will make it dry if I cook my sirloins on the foreman. But then I keep hearing that chicken turns out dry and it turns out great every time when I do it.

Yes/no? I like it medium rare.

Replies

• ottacat
    ottacat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It will cook just fine and if you use a meat thermometer you can get it to the exact level of doneness you want. It will have slightly less flavour than a BBQ because you don't get the flavour of the smoke from the fat and juices dripping down and burning but certainly won't be dry if you don't overcook it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i do steak on it all the time and i have no complaints. i only throw it on there for like 3 min tho

honestly don't see why it would dry it out more then a typical BBQ, i mean the grease that slides down the forman would just fall into the grill on a normal grill
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If it's dry it has been overcooked. Just like most forms of cooking.
  • Francl27
    Options
    How long for medium rare? They are one inch thick steaks.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that it will make it dry if I cook my sirloins on the foreman. But then I keep hearing that chicken turns out dry and it turns out great every time when I do it.

I have been doing my steak on stove top using just a grilling pan.....

So I take steak out, and wrap in paper towel, till room temp.
    Season both sides w/ McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
    heat grilling pan, once heated...
    Put steak on it for 6 min, then flip, 6 min
    Pull and let sit for about 8 - 10 min.

Enjoy
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    How long for medium rare? They are one inch thick steaks.

Idk, cook for two min and cut into them and go from there
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    So the answer is not to use the Foreman or am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing basic reading comprehension.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Cast iron pan > Foreman "grill"
  • sir_randall
    sir_randall Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I have been doing my steak on stove top using just a grilling pan.....

So I take steak out, and wrap in paper towel, till room temp.
    Season both sides w/ McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
    heat grilling pan, once heated...
    Put steak on it for 6 min, then flip, 6 min
    Pull and let sit for about 8 - 10 min.

Enjoy

This is how I do it more or less as well. My steaks are cooked to medium and I have never experienced a dry steak. Montreal seasoning is pretty good too.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing...for steaks you really need SUPER hot heat to do them right....you can cook them anyway you want...but perfection is over high heat.

Ideally you want a restaurant style Salamander that cooks at 1200 degrees, but most people cant afford or install those in their homes.

This is why a charcoal based grill works best for steaks because you can get charcoal up to 650-700ish degrees. This is the ideal temp to cook steaks on.

So the problem with pan frying, oven cooking and George Forman....is that you can't get the right heat.

Acg67 is on the right path with Cast Iron...it is possible to get that sucker up to like 500 degrees on the stove....still not going to get you hot enough, but much better than other non-charcoal options.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have had someone cook a steak for me on one before. It was the worst, driest, toughest steak I had ever had. I pretty much let that one experience traumatize me and I have refused to use them ever since.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

forman grill is faster
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok I'm not going to bother. I don't have a grilling pan, so there goes that. I'll let hubby cook them on the outside grill...
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I have had someone cook a steak for me on one before. It was the worst, driest, toughest steak I had ever had. I pretty much let that one experience traumatize me and I have refused to use them ever since.

this :
    If it's dry it has been overcooked. Just like most forms of cooking.

there is nothing special about cooking a steak on both sides at once at a slight angle that ruins the meat.

it does cook a little faster then a grill tho
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

forman grill is faster

Who cares if it's faster by a min or two, it produces an inferior end product
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Ok I'm not going to bother. I don't have a grilling pan, so there goes that. I'll let hubby cook them on the outside grill...

whatever works for you. my only objection to it was that its a ***** to clean but then i got one where the cooking surface is removeable and you can put it in the dish washer.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

forman grill is faster

Who cares if it's faster by a min or two, it produces an inferior end product

whats so inferior?

in 3 min the steak doesn't really lose that much grease, or at least there isn't much that seems to trickle out of it.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I think this is all pretty subjective. Prepare your food the way you like it and in a way that is convenient for you.