Finding friends and family frustrating.

Options
So ive seen a few posts about this...but recently its been happening to me and driving me insane. So my friends whom range in height from 5'2-5'6 all think that 120 is like the ideal weight for EVERY height. When I said that I had officially lost 40 pounds and was sitting at 158-160 pounds they all freaked out. They thought that was a huge number, that theyd be so embarassed if they weighed that much and that that's how much a boy should weigh not a girl....

How do I explain to my friends that 120 pounds at 6 foot is unresonable? And that 145-150 may not be a healthy goal for them but is for my height ?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Get new friends. Seriously, they don't sound fun at all.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Your friends sound very ignorant.

I checked your profile to confirm your age...you're about 6 years older than I expected.

Why are you wasting time on stupid people?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't want to sound mean, but if you have to explain to them or justify why a certain weight works for you then you may need new friends. I don't know why so many people think they are experts on this topic, but other than finding new friends just don't talk to them about this topic anymore.

Besides, if they couldn't tell that you've already lost a lot of weight and are looking good then just tell them, "Yep, I just hit the ideal goal weight of 120 lbs.!". They probably won't know the difference.
  • emjohnston2014
    Options

I checked your profile to confirm your age...you're about 6 years older than I expected.

And your comment sounds very ignorant? Its not so much that there ignorant nor are rude. But more so that thats what theyve been taught is the perfect weight. 2 of my friends are food and nutrition majors and the other is a kinesiology major. So no there not ignorant, there well educated and just alittle confused.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

And your comment sounds very ignorant? Its not so much that there ignorant nor are rude. But more so that thats what theyve been taught is the perfect weight. 2 of my friends are food and nutrition majors and the other is a kinesiology major. So no there not ignorant, there well educated and just alittle confused.

Oh, honey. No. Just no.
  • emjohnston2014
    Options
    I didnt post this thread to be told that my friends are ignorant. I posted it to try and explain to my friends that the 'medias perfect weight' isnt applicable to everyone. My friends are all highly educated as am i and i dont appreciate rude comments. All i was asking was how do I explain to them that being a certain weight doesnt mean your 'healthy' or unhealthy
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I didnt post this thread to be told that my friends are ignorant. I posted it to try and explain to my friends that the 'medias perfect weight' isnt applicable to everyone. My friends are all highly educated as am i and i dont appreciate rude comments. All i was asking was how do I explain to them that being a certain weight doesnt mean your 'healthy' or unhealthy

Why don't you simply tell them "At my height, this is a healthy weight for me?" Simple and to the point.
  • AliUnrau
    AliUnrau Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Show them a BMI Calculator my dear
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

tumblr_inline_n0cr6o3Z0k1rg8wre.gif
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options

^^^^This^^^^

There is a difference between lack of education and implying that a woman is masculine because of her weight. Catty is catty. You don't need to excuse adults from using basic reasoning. People who differ in height by half a foot will have very different healthy weight ranges. Anyone who completed a middle school Health class knows this.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Why are you your friends rationalizing behavior? Your friends were rude, did you call them out on being rude & cattiness?

And....they're not "well educated" if they think 120 is ideal for EVERY woman.

Just saying...

*edited for grammar
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the people above. Especially the ones making the statement of ignorant friends. Ignorant doesn't mean stupid or uneducated. In this case I interpret it to mean dated, behind the times, etc. For someone who is 6', 145-160 is a good weight. Additionally, you asked for opinions and you got them. If you don't like the opinion you are given then press on and find the opinion you want. Additionally, look at yourself in the mirror. Do you like what you see? The pictures you have in your profile look like you are on the thin side. I think you are fine with the weight you are at. Any more would be sickly.
  • fishingaddict1969
    fishingaddict1969 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The comments have nothing to do with your education level, it is plain ole common sense. I don't believe anyone on here is bagging on your education level or your friends. It is just so obvious that if your body shapes are similar that the taller person will generally wiegh the most. If they can't understand the simplicity of that, than just deal with the ignorant comments. Ignorant comments in no way makes a person ignorant, so don't take the above comments as if you and your friends are being personally attacked...they (the posters) are just standing up for you because you kind of asked them to by putting this post up.
  • fishingaddict1969
    fishingaddict1969 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the people above. Especially the ones making the statement of ignorant friends. Ignorant doesn't mean stupid or uneducated. In this case I interpret it to mean dated, behind the times, etc. For someone who is 6', 145-160 is a good weight. Additionally, you asked for opinions and you got them. If you don't like the opinion you are given then press on and find the opinion you want.

Great minds as they say LOL
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You could show them this pic of 6 women who all weigh the same but look different.

http://how-do-it.info/All_these_women_weigh_154_poundsWe_all_carry_weight_differentlyKeep_it_in_pe/

There's also another site called body gallery where you can see different weights

http://www.mybodygallery.com/
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    One thing that you could try is to ask them to defend why 120 is such an ideal weight and what their texts say about the matter. I cannot imagine that the material for the areas they are studyign would ever say 120 lbs is the ideal for any height.

Plus, it's a subtle way of challenging their way of thinking, becaue what are they going to believe: what some magazine editor puts out, or what the current scientific understanding is?
  • geekishgirl
    geekishgirl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Show them a BMI Calculator my dear

This ^^^ Pull up the chart and show them where they fall for their height and weight. Then show them where they fall for their height and weight. It's probably pretty similar. Then show them where you would be if you were 120 pounds. They may need the visual to see that what's healthy for them is not the same as what's healthy for you.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Were they teasing? I hope so.

If two are future nutritionists and one's a future kinesiologist then they should know better. If they were to say what they said to you to a future patient/client the best outcome they could hope for would be getting fired.

Edit: I spel gud.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Than have them look at what their book says about a female your height and not post topics about something you can easily fix by reminding them neutrally like that.