Need some ideas

Options
We found out yesterday that my 7-year-old son needs a revision of a previous surgery ASAP. It's been scheduled for tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out food I can eat in the hospital. It can't need a lot of refrigeration because people steal stuff out of the refrigerators. I can take a cooler bag, something that won't spoil easily is okay. I need ideas of munchy stuff that I can gnaw on without killing the progress I've made so far. He is great at having complications after surgery, so I have no idea how long we could be there.

I don't really eat breakfast, just need ideas for lunches, dinners, and snacks (lots of snacks). No dietary restrictions to worry about... My brain isn't working with me right now, I could really use some help with this! Thanks!

Replies

• walker306
    walker306 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Nectarines, bananas, carrots celery????
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are high in protein and will keep at room temperature for days!
  • sagreenious
    sagreenious Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Celery.
    Rice, cheese and veg salad.
    Ryvita.
    Apples.
  • Kimmerz020202
    Kimmerz020202 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Almonds, string cheese, sliced turkey in the cooler. Good luck with your son's surgery.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Many hospitals will send you a tray if you are willing to pay for it. Some heave healthier options in the vending machines.

Tuna kits, granola bars, dried fruits and nuts, peanut butter on crackers, pretzels, individual packs of cereal. That's all I can think up.

I hope your son has a quick and complete recovery.
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    This is why I asked, I knew I would get some good ideas! Thanks!

I forget that apples don't have to be refrigerated. I didn't know that hard boiled eggs could kept at room temp. Can baby carrots survive long not being in the fridge?

Ooh, tuna kits. And I could get some little cups of pb and put it on low salt crackers. Great ideas!

I'll be heading to the store this evening...