strength training - football style

Options
I had a great strength coach in HS (now the strength coach for the Seahawks) for football programs and wanted to push myself to regain some strength and endurance I saw then. I add quite a bit of cardio to help burn the fat also.

I found online a strength training program for a high school team that was pretty thorough and it has some built in progress so the program pushes you slowly but always increases reps and weight (by %age).

would like to know what others use.

I tend to go easy on my self if the program doesn't show me the progression, so this program works for me.

anyone who would like to share their plans or see what I have is welcome to reply or add me as a friend.

Replies

• moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I would do stronglifts 5x5 for a while and slowly add in other compact moves like hang clean
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I had a great strength coach in HS (now the strength coach for the Seahawks) for football programs and wanted to push myself to regain some strength and endurance I saw then. I add quite a bit of cardio to help burn the fat also.

I found online a strength training program for a high school team that was pretty thorough and it has some built in progress so the program pushes you slowly but always increases reps and weight (by %age).

would like to know what others use.

I tend to go easy on my self if the program doesn't show me the progression, so this program works for me.

anyone who would like to share their plans or see what I have is welcome to reply or add me as a friend.

Bolded is pretty much a fallacy for being required to "burn fat". For cardio, make it sport specific working on speed, agility, and explosion.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I try and bulk up I stick to basics. Bench, inc bench, curls, tri ext, Leg press, leg curls/ext, shrugs, rows, lawnmowers and calf raises and core work. I start with a base warm up weight everytime then go up to a medium weight then up a bit higher I do these same weights for 2 lift days then the 3rd I increase the last one and the previous high is my med for the next week.

Ex: Bench 3x10
    Wk1 MW
    1 x 10 @ 135
    1x10@ 175
    1x10@ 195
    WK1 - Friday
    1x10 135, 1x10 175, 1x10 205
    WK2 1x10 135, 1x10 195, 1x10 205

Sometimes to mix things up for fun I will search a celebrity work out and do that for a couple weeks(ie the rock or wolverine) The last time i did this was The Rocks Hercules work out and I have to say, I saw the best gains in muscle I have In a long time. Typically I would have good results in quad and chest and tri, this gave me REALLY good increase in trapz and biceps. It is one I have down as a regular work out routine now. PM me I will send it to you if you want.
  • johnprimeaux
    johnprimeaux Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Being military, I believe in the tried and true methods of strength and endurance training: calisthenics. If you want to gain strength through a weight training regimen, that works...but being thrifty (should be read as POOR) I prefer to use what I got and use it well.

Planks - 30 day challenge - it is tough, but it strengthens the core immensely
    Sit-ups - 6 sets a day of varying reps - gradually increasing through the period - at your own pace - another core improver
    Push-ups - 5 sets a day of varying reps - also gradually increasing through the period - and also at your own pace
    Leg holds or leg lifts - this one should immediately follow your sit-ups so that you get the ultimate core workout - do 6 sets as long as the plank length, if you can hold it.
    Running/Walking - at least a mile or more daily - trying to improve time on a regular basis.

Also, when I recover from my knee and ankle injuries, I plan to implement a new regimen:

HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training -

Burpees - if you are military, you know what these are
    6 sets of 30 seconds as fast as you can do them without stopping - then rest 90 seconds and do it again

Sprinting - 6 sets of 30 seconds as fast as you can sprint without stopping - then rest 90 seconds and do it again

Mountain Men - you remember these from football, don't you?
    6 sets of 30 seconds as fast as you can do them without stopping - then rest 90 seconds and do it again

The HIIT will vastly improve endurance, reduce body fat - especially in the belly area, and studies have proven that it increases the bodies ability to increase natural HGH, what us old men have of little abundance.

Hope this helps you.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Being military, I believe in the tried and true methods of strength and endurance training: calisthenics. If you want to gain strength through a weight training regimen, that works...but being thrifty (should be read as POOR) I prefer to use what I got and use it well.

Sit-ups - 6 sets a day of varying reps - gradually increasing through the period - at your own pace - another core improver
    Push-ups - 5 sets a day of varying reps - also gradually increasing through the period - and also at your own pace
    Leg holds or leg lifts - this one should immediately follow your sit-ups so that you get the ultimate core workout - do 6 sets as long as the plank length, if you can hold it.
    Running/Walking - at least a mile or more daily - trying to improve time on a regular basis.

Also, when I recover from my knee and ankle injuries, I plan to implement a new regimen:

Sprinting - 6 sets of 30 seconds as fast as you can sprint without stopping - then rest 90 seconds and do it again

The HIIT will vastly improve endurance, reduce body fat - especially in the belly area, and studies have proven that it increases the bodies ability to increase natural HGH, what us old men have of little abundance.

Hope this helps you.

That's not necessarily true. The correct diet does that, and there's no such thing as spot reduction. HIIT doesn't reduce fat "especially in the belly area".
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Have you been training or just getting back into it? Are you looking to become more athletic which is why you're interested in football training?
  • johnprimeaux
    johnprimeaux Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Hope this helps you.

That's not necessarily true. The correct diet does that, and there's no such thing as spot reduction. HIIT doesn't reduce fat "especially in the belly area".

It is working for me - that's all the evidence I need.
  • RGv2
    Options

Hope this helps you.

It is working for me - that's all the evidence I need.

So, just so I get this right, you can spot reduce fat from the midsection by doing HIIT. Are you actually making this claim?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    In all due respect to our military members, training for football and training for the military are two completely different things. Military folks need good aerobic endurance while being able to efficiently manage their weight plus the weight of their gear. Football, and any team sport for that matter, is very different. Football relies largely on anaerobic capacity, speed, and power. Though I like the inclusion of the different sprints (awesome), daily mile runs, and calisthenics are not ideal for training a football player.
  • RGv2
    Options
    In all due respect to our military members, training for football and training for the military are two completely different things. Military folks need good aerobic endurance while being able to efficiently manage their weight plus the weight of their gear. Football, and any team sport for that matter, is very different. Football relies largely on anaerobic capacity, speed, and power. Though I like the inclusion of the different sprints (awesome), daily mile runs, and calisthenics are not ideal for training a football player.

Agreed. Longer runs are great for cardiovascular endurance, but the centerpiece of your cardio should focus on speed, agility, and explosion.