Healthy Family Meals when your broke & not a good cook?

Options
124»

Replies

• ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    great ideas! thanks guys:smile:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I buy chicken breasts when they get to $1.99/lb and stock up. same for canned chicken when it goes 3/$5.

We eat a lot of stir fry - a little oil, veggies off choice (even sometimes a can of veg-all), and a can of chicken. Serve over rice. about 15 mins start to finish. (We also get things like peppers from the garden (or you can do it when they are in season and on sale) and slice them up in meal sized packages and freeze them so no prep work!) Sometimes we do pre-fab stir fry sauce (hubby likes it) though I prefer just a garlic sauce and maybe some lemon juice. This is great because you can make with whatever is in season, or use canned. and sometimes i add an egg or two.

Another great one we had a bit ago:
    2 chicken breasts browned on the stove (or you can grill them), then cubed. Mix with a can of mushrooms (or fresh if you have them) and a bag of (defrosted) frozen broccoli. Add jar of alfedo sauce (or, a little harder, you can make your own garlic sauce) and serve over pasta. depending on the type of alfredo, it filled me up for about 450 cals and fed myself, hubby, and son (who's 3) then myself and my son for 2 more lunches. I imagine you can do the same thing with red sauce.

We did a similar one:
    elbow noodles, grilled chicken cubed, red pasta sauce, some moz cheese (as little or much as you want), broccoli, diced tomatoes, garlic and a little oil. Cooked all but the cheese and noodles in a skillet. Cooked pasta. Mixed pasta and skillet. Add cheese and bake (I like it crispy - you could just add the cheese on the top the skillet and not turn on the oven)

I made stuffed peppers too for probably only $4-5 total and though I only had 4 peppers, the filling I ate alone for 3 additional lunches.

PS - I buy all my red meat and most of my pork on manager special ONLY, so sirloin for 3 will cost only $2-3.
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    We eat a lot of beans and soups! They are filling and the dried beans are so cheap, even canned beans are not too bad. Last week I made split pea soup in the Crockpot, I think that would be about a $3 meal. A soup that my mother in law used to make was with cannelini (white) beans, bok choy, and a few slices of bacon chopped up, it is also quite cheap and really good. Just vary the type of bean, vegetable, and meat to your liking!

I know you think you can't cook, but if you ever tried to make pizza crust, you can make an outstanding pizza at home. Bread does take some time but it is so good homemade. There are lots of online tutorials. I have been making my own personal crusts, really thin, so I can have pizza with everyone else and have more control over the calories. Also there is the "No Knead" Bread which is really almost no work--not really easy to eat on MFP, but my family loves it!--and it makes a beautiful loaf of bread like you would see at a grocery store for $6 easily.

I agree with the original post that $15-20 doesn't seem like a cheap meal unless you compare it to sit down restaurant food. Whenever I make steak at home we all talk about how much the dinner would have cost at Outback (about $20 per person).

Good luck!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Here is a relatively simple meal.

I am making this tonight: Simple, cheap and easy. Less than 500 cals for a generous size serving. (1/6th of the pan)

TALLARINI

Fry:

2 lb. ground meat
    1 onion
    1 green pepper
    1 clove garlic

Add to fried mixture:

1 can tomatoes
    1 can tomato sauce
    1 can chopped black olives (I am omitting these)
    1 can cream style corn
    1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
    1 (10 oz.) pkg. egg noodles, cooked

Place noodles in bottom of large casserole dish. Cover with above mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    bump
  • navgal
    navgal Posts: 16
    Options
    3 of us- 250-300 grocery bill, prices have gone up recently...
    99% fat free ground turkey
    thin sliced chkn breat skinless
    pork chops
    tuna
    ahi-tuna steaks (kinda spendy but great meal, one steak can be 2 for portion control)

whole wheat pasta
    whole greain bread

frozen veggies-not canned
    fresh veggies, head of lettuce, cherry tomatoes (snacks and for meals), red & green bell pepers, purplr onion, potatoes (baked and mashed),

refried black beans fat free
    spanish rice

these are basic staples in my house, i can make about 4-5 meals from these, leftovers are my lunches at work...

We do buy lots of other stuff like canned mushrooms, asparagus, chopped chilies and other things to flavor the meals.

Dessert-skinny cow ice creams or slim a bear ice creams
    fruit and whipped topping, lowest in fat and sugars
    piece of dark chocolate

Good Luck!

I always look on line for recipies, easy recipies.....
  • jojonesnz
    jojonesnz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    hey:smile:
    i know exactly where your coming from, an easy, cheap and interesting way to do vegies is stir fry them, that way you can buy whatever is cheap from the vegie shop, slice and dice and then be creative with what you pan fry them in, ie light soy sauce and honey, lemon or lime and honey etc it changes the flavour and is a nice alternative to steamed vegies.
    the price thing sucks for me too, i live in sydney, australia and the cost of living here is incredibly hight, i bought a broccoli the other day for $4.95 and it was tiny:grumble:
    ive got a friend who suggested doing online shopping, she does it to make sure she sticks to budget and if your planning your meals it makes it easier?? dont know if that will help but im going to try it out:wink:
    hopefully your pessimism is rising and the glass will start looking half full tehe

good luck
  • rascal21
    rascal21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just another easy recipe that you can spice up with very little effort. Get a couple cans of chicken broth (or stock) and add in about 5 cups of diced potatoes (home diced or you can buy the bagged southern style hashbrowns in the freezer section). Then you add a packet of dry country gravy mix. And you have creamy potato soup. In order to spice this up a bit, i have added bacon, diced ham, onions, cheese, you name it. Made as above it is around 100 calories a serving. Added ham and cheese brings it up to about 250 calories, but well worth it in my opinion, and it only takes about 15 minutes on the stove...
  • caroline1851
    Options
    I hate to cook , but these are a few meals that i make that are relatively cheap and healthy:

Tacos-hamburger, seasoning, shells, tomatoes, onions, cheese, salsa

Mexican Chicken-throw 4 chicken breasts, a jar of salsa, can of drained black beans and a can of drained corn in a crock pot. I put mine on high for 5 hours or so. (do not like the low setting, freaks me out with chicken)
    -Can be eaten alone
    - can be served over brown rice
    - can be served in a whole wheat wrap as a burrito

Pork Tenderloin-olive oil and seasoning and cook at 425 for around 30 minutes. yummy. I serve it was asparagus (cook in the over with olive oil and fresh garlic). Cheaper option is to use a bag of frozen veggies and microwave them.