Fitted for shoes and feet still hurt! Help!

hig17
hig17 Posts: 159 Member
I need some advice MFP friends. :) I have pain on the outsides of my feet when exercising (any type of exercise really, I have done zumba, several Jillian exercise dvds etc , except walking and sometimes even then it hurts as well) it is a burning type pain usually that is pretty bad causing me to stop at times. When I do anything of these things barefoot I have NO pain. Anyway, I wanted to take up running (which I obviously cannot do barefoot), so I went to a running store and got fitted for shoes. They told me that I am a neutral runner (after a gait analysis) and that my problem lies in that I was wearing too narrow shoes and too small of shoes and that my feet are extremely wide. They put me into Saucony Ride 6 (womens) in a wide. Took those home and for a spin (I was doing C25K) and the pain was still there. Went back to the store and they suggested I try a men's shoe in extra wide (4E), Asics Nimbus I believe. I didn't want to spend $150+ on them, so I went home and ordered them cheaper online. Wore inside for a workout (so that I could return if didn't work) DVD and my feet still hurt!

I don't really know where to go from here, I could see a foot doctor obviously, but are they able to help me if the pain only exists when I am wearing shoes? Has anyone else had an issue like this? What did you do? Any suggestions, even if it is that I see a doctor?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• hig17
    :frown:
  • lisamj123
    lisamj123 Posts: 4 Member
    Sorry, I don't have an answer but I have the exact same thing as you. Barefoot is fine and I also went and was fitted for shoes and they didn't help either. Hopefully someone has the answer.
  • hig17
    @Lisa

Thanks. It helps to hear that someone is experiencing the same issues. Do yours hurt for all types of exercises? I think people think I am crazy when I say barefoot is fine. I really would like to start running though, so it is frustrating!
  • lisamj123
    I know what you mean about people thinking your crazy when you say barefoot is fine. I used to do kickboxing for 8 years and never had issues with my feet......it was always done in barefeet. Once I stopped that and tried running is when I ran into problems. Even going out for walks can cause them to hurt.
  • hig17
    @Lisa

I tried on a pair of Men's Nike Running shoes this weekend and they were very wide (4E) going to try them and report back ASAP. The only thing is I can't try them outdoors if I want to return them...

But I will keep you posted!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I think a foot or sports doc might be your next step. I was having ankle pain ONLY while running. Walking was fine, standing, wearing heels, etc was all good. But I'd try to run and one step would be fine and the next was crippling. Apparently, I had more problems with my gait than getting fitted for shoes could fix. I ended up with custom shoe inserts. Expensive, but at the moment I've been pain free for several weeks.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    http://www.footankle.com/other-foot-problems/pain-outside-foot/

When you run/walk your foot has a natural spread. Many times people don't realize how much the foot spreads. My husband has this problem but I don't think he even realizes it. I noticed my son (14) seems to have the same spread.

My son also had a problem with the tendon that attaches the heel to the 5th metatarsal and he was having foot pain/bumps caused by that tendon, needing to wear an ankle brace.
  • hig17
    @Pipsg1rl Thanks for the info!

What about the pain not being there when I don't wear shoes? And my pain is different than any of those in that link, the closest area would be #3 and that is not what I am experiencing...
  • hig17
    I think a foot or sports doc might be your next step. I was having ankle pain ONLY while running. Walking was fine, standing, wearing heels, etc was all good. But I'd try to run and one step would be fine and the next was crippling. Apparently, I had more problems with my gait than getting fitted for shoes could fix. I ended up with custom shoe inserts. Expensive, but at the moment I've been pain free for several weeks.

Yeah I am definitely going to try the doctor if these extra wide shoes don't do the trick. Thank you!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Are you usually barefoot? Hate wearing shoes?
    Or use flip flops?

I don't have the pain you have but I do notice that in different shoes I hold my feet in different ways. I have a pair of flips that when I wear them daily I get wicked foot cramps.

In heels I tend to ball up my toes.

I finally just bought a pair of runners that seem too big in the toe box but I'm actually loving those and letting my toes "spread."

I'm not a physician, just a girl trying to be helpful. You do need to see a doctor though IMO.
  • hig17
    Are you usually barefoot? Hate wearing shoes?
    Or use flip flops?

I don't have the pain you have but I do notice that in different shoes I hold my feet in different ways. I have a pair of flips that when I wear them daily I get wicked foot cramps.

In heels I tend to ball up my toes.

I finally just bought a pair of runners that seem too big in the toe box but I'm actually loving those and letting my toes "spread."

I'm not a physician, just a girl trying to be helpful. You do need to see a doctor though IMO.

I know, thank you for being helpful.

I am referring to pain that I have only when exercising and wearing tennis shoes. I don't have pain when I wear other shoes, flip flops, heels etc., but then I am not doing the same activities in those either.

My pain comes only when I wear shoes and workout (walking, running, exercise DVDs, Zumba), but when I don't wear them and I go barefoot in the workouts where I can go barefoot I don't have it. That is why I guess the running store said I was wearing too narrow of shoes and it was pressing on the outside of my feet (mainly the right foot) because they were too narrow.

But I agree with you and my next step is going to be to see a doctor. I just figured I would see if any one else had experienced similar issues. And I also agree with you the wider the toebox the better!
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Have you considered the 'barefoot' shoes?

I personally have not tried them but I'm thinking about it due to problems I have with my feet, my partner uses them for fell running and swears by them but they do take a bit of getting used to.
  • witsend79
    witsend79 Posts: 19 Member
    I've had issues with both Saucony and Asics. Asics are wider but foot burn isn't unusual for that brand- the insole is quite structured so if you're flat footed or of a different structure it'll cause issues.

I'd give Nike Pegasus a whirl- wide toe box, mid sole and good cushioning.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    You may have stress fractures, but i think it's probably a shoe thing. I would give minimalist shoes a try. When I first started running I had feet, ankle, knee, back issues... my brother told me to kick off my shoes and run barefoot, which I did (on the treadmill). I also went out and bought zero drop minimalist shoes and my pains went away. The New Balance Minimus series is excellent and Merrell has great options too.
  • hig17
    I've had issues with both Saucony and Asics. Asics are wider but foot burn isn't unusual for that brand- the insole is quite structured so if you're flat footed or of a different structure it'll cause issues.

I'd give Nike Pegasus a whirl- wide toe box, mid sole and good cushioning.

Tried a pair of Men's Nikes I bought this weekend (can't remember the brand, wasn't Pegasus but it had a really wide toe box) Tried those last night doing a Cardio workout DVD and they still hurt. Took a little bit longer for them to start hurting but it hurt and I had to take the shoes off to continue the workout.
  • hig17
    You may have stress fractures, but i think it's probably a shoe thing. I would give minimalist shoes a try. When I first started running I had feet, ankle, knee, back issues... my brother told me to kick off my shoes and run barefoot, which I did (on the treadmill). I also went out and bought zero drop minimalist shoes and my pains went away. The New Balance Minimus series is excellent and Merrell has great options too.

I am going to try the Minimalist shoes as a last resort, if not going to the doctor. The Nikes I tried last night took a bit longer to start hurting my foot, but they did hurt it. And it was only the right foot, I am stumped cause as soon as I take them off I can complete the workout with no pain? It is very frustrating!

But I thank you all for your responses! :)
  • hig17
    *FOLLOW UP*

So I used my Saucony's Ride 6's (bought from the fitting at the running store) and I laced them differently as per searching the posts on here and BAM no pain! Granted I do not want to jinx myself as my workout was an indoor DVD (Dirty 30, 21 day fix) however the warmup included running in place and jumping jacks where my foot would have hurt before and it didn't! I am definitely planning on trying my running app (C25K) as soon as I can to make sure the lacing works there too!

Who knew? Lacing your shoes differently....WOW
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    *FOLLOW UP*

So I used my Saucony's Ride 6's (bought from the fitting at the running store) and I laced them differently as per searching the posts on here and BAM no pain! Granted I do not want to jinx myself as my workout was an indoor DVD (Dirty 30, 21 day fix) however the warmup included running in place and jumping jacks where my foot would have hurt before and it didn't! I am definitely planning on trying my running app (C25K) as soon as I can to make sure the lacing works there too!

My feet tend to fall asleep when I run, and alternate lacing helped me. If the pain comes back, one thing to consider is that you keep saying you only feel the pain when you wear shoes. My guess is you are not doing the comparable exercise barefoot and not having pain (although maybe you have). If you went for a run in flip flops and were pain free, then it's likely a shoe issue. If you still have pain, you might need to see a doctor.
  • I know when I've done indoor workouts wearing running shoes my feet have hurt. Cross trainers are the best for indoor workouts. I only wear my running shoes for running now as that is what they are designed for.
    Definitely try some minimalist shoes though, I prefer them as my feet feel more free, more natural.
  • lisamj123
    *FOLLOW UP*

That's awesome!! Let me know how you make out when you start running. How did you lace them up?