What is your motivation? How do you discipline yourself?

Options
Obviously, the hardest thing in this journey is getting up and going to the gym as well as stopping yourself from eating unhealthy foods (or eating in moderation..which I think is twice as hard)

As a newbie, I'd love to know what tips for motivation and discipline you would have for me.

Replies

• court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This sounds so juvenile, but I give myself rewards based on points systems.

I keep a jar with those glass pebbles in it and put one in for different things

- burning more than 200 calories
    - staying on track for a certain amount of time
    - logging daily
    - lossing a pound

Once I get to a certain amount of pebbles I give myself a reward…I go out for frozen yogurt (but only get sugar free or fat free with lots of fruit), get a new color of OP nail polish, buy a cute dress when I lose a certain amount of weight, my biggest one is a new tattoo when I get to my goal weight. I sounds silly, but I like it because it keeps me on track and allows me to treat myself.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options

- logging daily
    - lossing a pound

Once I get to a certain amount of pebbles I give myself a reward…I go out for frozen yogurt (but only get sugar free or fat free with lots of fruit), get a new color of OP nail polish, buy a cute dress when I lose a certain amount of weight, my biggest one is a new tattoo when I get to my goal weight. I sounds silly, but I like it because it keeps me on track and allows me to treat myself.

Hey! I actually loved that. If that works for you, then it's not juvenile at all! I might try that system myself.
  • Kaylee11133
    Kaylee11133 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I keep low calorie snacks around. I'm not going to be able to rid my house of all the junk food other people choose to eat, so i've learned that I am going to crave that brownie or ice cream. So i keep fiber one brownies around, weight watchers ice cream, fudgesicles, etc. It feels like a reward, but still under 100 calories. So if i make it through the day and do good, I get to eat some of that at night.

As for the motivation, that was always something I had trouble with, which was obvious by how many times I failed lol. This time I stuck to it long enough to see results. And that was my motivation. And the results just got more and more significant and it was more and more motivating. Now i'm just too far in, too much lost, too happy with the results to be able to give that up. I think you become your motivation and once u see that, it's really impactful. It's just a struggle, for some people, to get to that point. =]
  • Tattoo_Kay
    Options
    Hi, I've only just started here as well but my motivation is going buy me a new wardrobe because for every pound I lose a pound goes in a jar, and since my diet actually started two weeks ago and I've already lost 5 lbs that's £5 towards my shopping spree. Good Luck.
  • alice_schmalice
    alice_schmalice Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My motivation is to keep thinking about how tired, sluggish and weak I felt before I started exercising. I had some scary blood pressure readings and it also made me think about having to take medication for that one day. The bp is ok for now but it runs in my family, as does cardiovascular diseases and depression. I want to be able to hike some trails in the area without getting winded.

Those are the things I think about that keep me going with this journey.
  • kmbrtn
    kmbrtn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get my clothes out the night before; in the morning I get up the first time my alarm goes off, get dressed, have a very light snack and then exercise. If i had to go to the gym I just wouldn't do it. I do this six days a week. I don't give myself any time to think too much about it, but jump right in and get it over with right away.

Sundays I limit my calorie intake, but eat whatever I feel like having. I don't care about ratios of fat/carbs/protein on this day of the week, only the calories so i don't blow it too bad.

If I do indulge on a day other than Sunday, that becomes my cheat day and I skip cheating on Sunday.

I think about upcoming events and sometimes have to decide if I would rather cheat today and have this or that, or would I rather wait for that delicious bbq, cake at a party, etc later.

Don't deny yourself, just make choices.
  • LaurLaur242
    LaurLaur242 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like this idea too! I'm a teacher with the summer off(woohoo). I have be treating the gym as my "part time job" and have been pretty dedicated to going. With the school year looming, I am worried about not getting in as much exercise as I have been. I think your idea is fabulous and knowing that I will get a "treat" (and the rewards you have for yourself are great too!) will keep me motivated. Who doesn't like a nice reward?:wink:
    Best of luck and continued success. If anyone would like to add me as a friend, feel free.The support on this website is really helpful.
    ~Lauren
  • sharim1948
    Options
    My motivation is my age, how the heck did I get this old. I don't have 30yrs to enjoy a weight loss and keep putting it off...I have health issues directly connected to being Obese (BP, Borderline Diabetes, vascular problems etc). Then there are 5 new, beautiful Great Grand babies....If I don't do this now, I will never see these babies grow up...My motviation in a nutshell.

Discipline? When you have this much to lose I just do it....plan my day the night before and move through it.
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a motivation board hanging next to my closet. I keep pictures of my daughter, motivational phrases, and a picture of a hot air balloon because I am going on a ride when I hit my ultimate goal. I set non-food related rewards for hitting mini goals. (Pedicures, body lotions, clothes, etc.) I schedule workouts in each day and I find taking classes makes it really easy to be in and out in an hour at the gym.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Remember when we were small and we could have dessert until after we ate a good dinner? Well that works out pretty good now, too! I let myself have almost whatever treats I want, but ONLY AFTER I have the things (that we have known darn well since about 4th grade) that I need to fill up on first. For example, I can have a Pepsi only after I have at least a good 16oz of water. (Of course, I usually don't want it by then).

I can stay motivated with pictures of women that I want to emulate (see my profile pic). I have also come to the realization that even if I don't stay under my calorie goal, any day under my TDEE is a WIN!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    1. I don't go to the gym. I don't rely on exercise for weightloss. You don't need to. All the research points this way now. Weightloss should be 80% diet 20% exercise and that could be just your daily activity. Exercise for health, not to be skinny.

2. I make my weightloss journey full of strategies which make it easier for me to stick to the program.

3. I make rules for myself. I designed my own diet and refine it as i go along, though i do pick up ideas from books and forums.

4. I been on my journey since early January. I like to log my food. I spend quite a lot of time on make sure i enjoy the food i eat. I don't believe in feeling deprived so i make my healthy food delicious. Until a few days ago i never planned my meals ahead of time, until 8 weeks ago, i didn't bother with calorie counting. I just wrote down everything i ate and in combination with a daily weighing i was able to monitor and moderate progress. For the food, i would just go shopping once a week and stock up with lots of fruit and vegies and other nutritious healthy food. I eat only whole foods. Nothing processed at all because its a healthier and more satisfying. Someone has a recommendation, not to eat things with more than 5 ingredients on the package. That would be a reasonable place to start. I am only planning and counting now because i'm sort of interested in it. If i didn't have the time i wouldn't do it. I'd just continue to log my food in detail and weigh daily - bearing in mind the crazy fluctuations of the scale and not being about upset about it because i understand it.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I want to add to the above, I can't eat in moderation either so i just quit the problem foods. I make strict rules around them. I won't explain them now but you should work out your own rules.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is not having to use my willpower all the time to stop me from faltering. Thankfully I like exercise, so once I start I don't need much motivation to continue, as it just makes me feel good. Foodwise, I find the right plan/ diet can do much of the work for you, as for example right now doing a lower carb thing, I find I'm not actually hungry very much. Also on food, tackling the things that cause cravings I found helpful, and in my case that was ensuring no blood sugar funkiness, and also cutting back on sugar gradually which has helped ensure I've had no cravings.

I think if I had to rely on willpower constantly to keep me on track, I would fail eventually, or at least slip a lot more. Having an effective plan that helps fight the common areas in which I might fail, helps a lot :)
  • srd_23
    srd_23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It definitely took time, but after a while excercising actually became its own reward. Why? I treat it like a game. I primarily go on the treadmill, and I try do 3 miles during one hour long show (I watch HGTV). If I take it easy and then realize that I have only 10 minutes left and a whole mile? I bust my chops running (well jogging but I feel like I'm running!) trying to beat the show. If I loose then my punishment is having to leave in the middle of the next show (darn) or having to stay another hour to excercise so I can finish the show.

I know this sounds slightly crazy (ok a lot), but you have to understand... I am a single mom with 2 kids, a full time job, a 2 hour commute, who does night classes online after midnight... I don't watch TV because I don't have time. When I do its Jake and the Neverland Pirates or Sofia the First or Team Umizumi. Watching a show that I actually WANT to watch? And I can justify it because I'm excercising?? I'm so motivated! I can't wait to hit the gym and watch the next episode of Love it or List It, or Property Brothers!
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Building motivation was slow for me. Cut back calories here, do a little more exercise there, pretty soon it was adding up. currently I am a fanatic about logging intake and almost made it to 5 workout per week.

The friends here, their encouragement without criticism, has been a large factor in building momentum and motivation.
  • Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

- logging daily
    - lossing a pound

Hey! I actually loved that. If that works for you, then it's not juvenile at all! I might try that system myself.

I totally agree! Great idea.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Seeing a good loss on the scale is like a drug. It gives me a big boost of confidence. I also am being held accountable by all the people on facebook. I've come so far and I've had more than one person come to me and tell me I'm an inspiration. I didn't set out to be one, and I'd argue that I'm really not one, but regardless, people are looking up to me.
  • knitknitknit
    knitknitknit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My kids are my motivation. I used to be really active and I don't want them growing up and wanting to share activities with me that I'm unable to do because of my weight. I want to go horseback riding and skiing and kayaking with them.
    And I want to go shopping at any store I choose, not just ones that carry my special size.
  • Geloza
    Geloza Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    These days, hmm.. For me, taking progress pictures or pictures wearing new, smaller outfits and planning outings once a month motivates me. I'm a stay at home mom so I appreciate the time to get out once in awhile to show off how hard I've been working and hubby's always good to take me out whenever I need. :smile: :heart:
  • Geloza
    Geloza Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Seeing a good loss on the scale is like a drug. It gives me a big boost of confidence. I also am being held accountable by all the people on facebook. I've come so far and I've had more than one person come to me and tell me I'm an inspiration. I didn't set out to be one, and I'd argue that I'm really not one, but regardless, people are looking up to me.

Exactly, all of this too! ^^ :drinker: