Overpronation Shoe Ideas

Options
Hello! Before I have only been doing workouts in my house but recently started Zumba and other classes at the fitness center. I have hurt my ankle bad and have found out I have overpronation (I had bunion surgery last year). I am needing to get new supportive shoes. Are there any suggestions on what I should get? Thanks!

Replies

• fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and a severe overpronator. It was recommended to me to get a shoe that has a lot of stability. You can go to any running store (you don't have to be a runner) like Fleet Feet, Road Runner Sports, or check your local phone book and all their shoes are categorized by stability, motion control, etc.
  • stephstpierre121
    Options
    I also overpronate and it has caused a lot of pain in my feet/knees/legs in the past. I absolutely LOVE my Asic Gel Kayanos. They are pricey, but sooooo worth it!!!
  • brendansmithptatc
    brendansmithptatc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I f you shop the major shoe sources online (ie. New Balance) they will have shoes listed, usually under "motion control" that may fit your need. I would recommend having someone fit you for shoes at a running store, then use the size information for online shopping. If you have had bunion surgery, you may benefit from an orthotic with "first ray cutouts" to allow better motion of your great toe. Unfortunately those have to be custom made and can get pricey.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I run, but I love my Brooks. I'm not sure how they would be for cross training, but I love em :)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend going to a New Balance store and using their machine to determine the inserts you need. You stand on it barefoot so it can measure your pronation or supination and pressure points in your feet. They will then match you with the inserts that work best for your foot specifically. A good cross trainer with the right inserts can do wonders! Overpronation requires more arch support to keep you from pronating as much, so if there isn't a New Balance store near you, make sure the shoe you pick has great arch support.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I would go to a physio and get them to give you some exercises to help fix the problem rather than getting inserts. I have used generic inserts for ages then went to physio for a bad knee and they said my overpronation could have been the cause. They gave me a few little exercises to do (which I can do at my desk at work) and after 2 weeks of doing this (and me actually thinking about keeping an arch while walking barefoot) my physio said it has already improved.

That's where I would be starting :)