What to do wih al my fat clothes?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Out if interest, in what country do you still use the term "battered women"?

Donate or sell, I think the key thing is to get rid as soon as you can!

Agree on both counts above.

But please OP do not throw away the clothes. I can't believe some people are suggesting that burning or discarding them would be best...wow...how very wasteful & awful when others could use them.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Keep 1 size larger than what you wear now, so that you don't have to buy anything new if your weight drifts up. Also if you have to break out the 'fat clothes' you know you really need to get back on the dietary bandwagon right away.

1. sell what you can
    2. see if any local charities want what's left.
    3. if any items remain, have a bonfire.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Since I know you aren't really interested, but are asking so that you can launch into how you're better because you use a different term, why not just do that?

Also, for my amusement and the others I work with in the battered women's shelter, please do tell us why you're offended by the words.

Why do you people always pretend to have a question before you start your diatribes? Just skip that pretending-to-ask-a-question part. It's weird.
  • seltzermint555
    Options

Since I know you aren't really interested, but are asking so that you can launch into how you're better because you use a different term, why not just do that?

Also, for my amusement and the others I work with in the battered women's shelter, please do tell us why you're offended by the words.

Why do you people always pretend to have a question before you start your diatribes? Just skip that pretending-to-ask-a-question part. It's weird.

I wasn't the one who originally made that comment but I must say, I think it could be a cultural difference or something. Because seriously...in the part of the USA where I live it would be considered an INCREDIBLY inappropriate, outdated, and distasteful to say "battered women's shelter", it would be similar to saying, "retarded kids' classroom" or calling a person who used a wheelchair "cripple" or something.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I do not support the Salvation Army for two reasons:

1. They try to brainwash starving people into religion in exchange for food.

2. Nationwide, they would not cooperate with/tried to sabotage the census of homeless people.

Resisting the census makes it more difficult for the government to allocate resources to serve a community's actual needs for homeless support. If the government programs are underfunded, two things happen: their lack of resources perpetuates the myth that government is useless/ineffective in helping people solve problems, and it drives homeless people to private charities like Salvation Army so the Salvation Army gets a chance to spew religion (and neo-con politics) at them while they eat to keep body and soul together.

But hey, that's okay because it's more souls for Jesus...(sarcasm)
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I participate on a lot of plus size swap/sell groups for fashionable female clothing. Happy to put you in touch if you'd like just send me a message.
  • Kalikel
    Options

I wasn't the one who originally made that comment but I must say, I think it could be a cultural difference or something. Because seriously...in the part of the USA where I live it would be considered an INCREDIBLY inappropriate, outdated, and distasteful to say "battered women's shelter", it would be similar to saying, "retarded kids' classroom" or calling a person who used a wheelchair "cripple" or something.
    Yes, I get that you disapprove, as well. I will stipulate to you being a much better person as well as more up-to-date on the politically correct terms.

I'll be in tomorrow and ask if anyone else knows that people are now offended by the term. If they've heard, they haven't mentioned it.

Maybe you can explain why you find it offensive. Not why you're better. Already agreed to that.

Just, why you're offended by the term. Please.
  • seltzermint555
    Options

Yes, I get that you disapprove, as well. I will stipulate to you being a much better person as well as more up-to-date on the politically correct terms.

I'll be in tomorrow and ask if anyone else knows that people are now offended by the term. If they've heard, they haven't mentioned it.

Maybe you can explain why you find it offensive. Not why you're better. Already agreed to that.

Because it leaves no room for personal power or individuality. It reduces the woman to victim. Who is she? A woman? Yes, but a battered - defiled, victimized - woman. As though her only quality is what she has endured. Very sad and wrong.
  • wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My sister sews so I have her take them in or I dry them a bunch to shrink them haha I'm so cheap I dread buying new clothes!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I gave some away, I turned an old skirt into a curtain (it was big enough to cover a window lol) and I gave my wedding dress away to a community group who turn them into dresses and suits for stillborn babies.
  • Polishprincess83
    Polishprincess83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If I was in your position, I would donate them to (I have to be careful because someone just got their *kitten* chewed out for using a politically incorrect term) to a woman's shelter, homeless shelter, neighbors, friends, and/or family? You could if you want sell them on Criagslist or there are second hand stores that will buy your clothes off of you.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    There's a Developmental Disabilities Association donation bin right in front of my usual grocery store, so most of my stuff has gone into there. It's easy and a worthy cause to donate to.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them as soon as possible. Keeping them tells your brain you know you won't be successful in the long run. If you have clothes suitable for work, I took mine to a women's shelter. These ladies don't have clothes to apply for jobs and interviewing. They were very grateful. Other stuff I took to the Disabled American Vets thrift shop.

I AGREE. I have lost a LOT of weight in the past and never got rid of my fat clothes. This time around I'm getting rid of ANYTHING that is a size too big. If I creep back up in weight, I'm going to have to just creep on back down or walk around nekkid because I refuse to buy a larger size if I grow out of my current clothes!

I consigned my clothes,. Whatever they don't sell within a certain period of time gets donated.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I am keeping mine in my closet just in case I creep back up over time. That way I don't have to go shopping at the big and fat store.

DON'T DO THIS!!! Your mind will then say "It's no big deal just break out the fat clothes."

GET RID OF THEM and tell yourself you can NOT buy a new wardrobe!!!
  • Kalikel
    Options

Because it leaves no room for personal power or individuality. It reduces the woman to victim. Who is she? A woman? Yes, but a battered - defiled, victimized - woman. As though her only quality is what she has endured. Very sad and wrong.
    Thank you for the explanation.

And the preferred term would be? What? Individualized Women's Shelter? Empowered Woman's Shelter? I'd have asked about "abused woman", but by the criteria of not referencing the fact that they're victims, "abused" would probably be offensive, as well. Or maybe it isn't? Maybe saying "abused" in no way makes them appear to be vctims?

I just don't know.

I read it to a friend who just happened to call and who works there. "What? We can't mention that they're victims?! What the (heck.)". She was unaware, as well, obviously.

What is the preferred term?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

So what do you call it instead? Would not the term "shelter" also imply being a victim? And do people not say "I was/am (depending on their situation) a victim of abuse?"

I really am getting tired of the splitting hairs on terminology...it's to the point of ridiculous.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I came in for ideas. I'll stay for the semantics lesson.
  • Kalikel
    Options

I'd also suggest that what is wrong is that someone beat the hell out of the woman, not that people who wanted to help her set up a shelter for her and other women who are, in fact, victims and frequently show up quite battered.

Still waiting to her your new words for what everyone should call these shelters in order to help the battered women while not offending you.
  • RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would do something cool with them. Take a couple shirts and a couple pants and make them into something, a blanket or collage you can look at and remember how far you have really come! get creative
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Don't keep them "just in case". Get rid of them by donating, consigning, etc but get rid of them. OK, maybe save one or two things to remind you how far you've come, but don't make it easy to gain back the weight.