Always Tired for no reason?

Options
Hi! I didn't know where to post this, so I figured this would be the best place.

I'm tired all the time, and I don't know why. It's not just normal tiredness, I am exhausted all the time. I used to be the most active, talkative, bubbly person, and now I just want to stay at home all the time because I am so tired. I'm a teenager, and I eat a very healthy diet. I eat about 1400-1500 calories a day, and I eat very little processed foods. I never eat fast food, and I eat tons of vegetables, lean proteins, and fruit. I get 9-10 hours of sleep a night, and I exercise for 30-45 minutes, 5-6 days a week of very vigorous exercise. I drink 1/2 to 1 gallon of water a day, not including tea and other drinks. I don't live a very stressful life either. I'll have maybe 1-3 "cheat" or bad snacks/meals a week. The only reason I am so restrictive is because I thought it would help my tiredness. I don't really plan meals or worry about that too much, I just do what I feel is healthy.

I don't know what's wrong with me, and it's just getting worse. I'll go to a camp, and not recover from the tiredness when I get back - it will just get worse. The only thing I can think of is that I eat very little grain-based carbs. Sometimes I will eat some Finn Crisp rye crackers, or an occasional organic sprouted piece of bread, but that's about it. Any ideas on how to help?

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising that much everyday you probably aren't eating enough calories. Assuming you're burning 200-400 cals in that 45 minutes (which may or may not be the case) you'd only be netting 1000-1200 cals a day which isn't enough for most people.

Other than that though it sounds like you are doing things right. Maybe talk to a doctor?
  • kufambrian
    kufambrian Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just realized about a week ago that I wasn't eating my exercise calories back, so I've started doing that, but haven't noticed much of a change. I just set up an appointment with my doctor, so I hope he can get this figured out. :P
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I just realized about a week ago that I wasn't eating my exercise calories back, so I've started doing that, but haven't noticed much of a change. I just set up an appointment with my doctor, so I hope he can get this figured out. :P

Good job. Sounds like you're on top of it. I'm not sure how quickly your moods/energy would level out so it may still just be some time.

One other thing to talk to the doctor about...you could have issues with Sleep Apnea. I know it affects a lot of people and most don't know they have it. Worth asking about.
  • reeves5
    reeves5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In addition to tracking your calories, check your carbs. I know some people avoid them like the plague, but they do serve a purpose. Especially if you are working out with the frequency and intensity your mentioned.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Could be a vitamin/mineral deficiency or it could be a problem with your thyroid. Well, the doctor will probably know better. Hope you get well soon!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I found myself getting tired all the time and not having tons of energy - but it didn't bother me too much since I work in an office and didn't do much in the way of activity. It wasn't until I had a doctor who actually cared follow up on some routine blood tests that I found out I was anemic.

Now that I'm taking a B Complex vitamin and iron pills lately - I've noticed that I have so much more energy and I don't feel like fainting when I start to do some mild cardio. <<Yeah....that was a little embarrassing when I decided to try a krav maga class...>>

Not saying you're anemic, but it might be something to bring up with your doctor.
  • kerrymaas
    kerrymaas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Might be iron deficiencies which lead to anemia...it's fairly common among female athletes in your age range due to excessive training and low caloric intake plus menstrual cycle. Talk to you doctor...a simple blood test can yield significant results.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    OP you need to see a doctor.

It is possible you are not eating enough or that you have a dietary deficiency - but it is also possible this tiredness has nothing to do with your diet and you are anaemic or you have a thyroid problem or you have chronic fatigue syndrome or you have sleep apnoea or you have glandular fever or umpteen other possibilities, none of which are diagnosable on the Internet.
  • KiwipowaRoo
    KiwipowaRoo Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sounds like thyroid, get it checked. I used to find it hard to get out of bed after 10hours of sleep.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, OP potentially has a medical issue needing investigation/treatment and you post offering to sell her Advocare!!!!!! :noway:

How low can spammers go? :angry:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor. In my case, it turned out to be anemia but there are other deficiencies that can cause this.

If you have been logging faithfully, print out some MFP generated reports to take with you, Doctors like this kind of thing. I would get the reports for net calories, protein, fat, and carbs for at least 90 days. They appreciate having it in black and white rather than you just answering "I've been eating well".
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Need to know a few things. Did this happen over night or a gradual change? How is your work/social life? Are you working out? Eating right? Making sure you have time to just relax and get away from your stresses?

If it is something that happened overnight, even though you eat right and arent stressed than there might be something going on and it might be smart to see your family doctor. I only say this because this happened to me. I was full of energy working out eating right then one day became very fatigued and drained everyday. Saw my doctor and found I had leukemia(i had other issues too that I thought were something else so I am not saying if you are fatigued you have the c word).

Other things could be happening. Like someone mentioned thyroid or you perhaps could be a bit depressed or just going through a rough patch where you are a bit lethargic.

The best thing to do is review every aspect: diet, work, social, exercise, sleep. ANd see if they are in balance and see a doctor. Better to be overly cautious than regret not doing anything.
  • kufambrian
    kufambrian Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't think this many people would respond to this. Thank you all so much! About eating more carbs.... I hadn't really thought about that very much. I didn't realize there could be that many medical problems linked to this, either. I did suspect it might be low iron or something thyroid-related, so I just started taking some iron. Hopefully that will help. I'm really glad I'm going to see my doctor soon, because I want this to get figured out, soon. And also about bringing MFP reports, I would have never thought of that, and I'm definitely going to do that. Thank you so much for giving all this great advice. :)
  • MsBetteDavis
    MsBetteDavis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would talk to a doctor and get your thyroid, b12, and iron and ferritin checked out.
  • formylover
    formylover Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    on bad days when i feel no energy, i make pancakes with oatmel, whole grain, with eggs and soy milk. And i add agave sirop.
    i gess your body is tired of eating the same thing all the time once a week you should make, healthy pancakes, pizza and fruit pie, homemade burgers, Even sushi.
    If you eat pretty much the same thing every week here is a thing to try.
    oh and magnesium and vitamin C my help you out.