Family mealtime pressures?

Options
I eat a lot of meals and I did very well when I was living by myself, but it's summer vacation right now so I'm with my parents. During mealtimes, we usually sit down and eat for a long time and I feel pressured to keep eating until I am full. I feel bad stuffing myself, but I also feel bad if I just eat a little something and stop.. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about eating a bit and stopping. Compliment enjoy the food and conversation but never feel pressured to be full.
  • meganleighhh
    meganleighhh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Limit yourself to eating one plate and make the sizes of the foods proportional. Also, drink a glass of water before eating a meal..it helps to fill you some!
  • bonjourjackie
    bonjourjackie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    But when I don't eat that much, they go like, "oh, you're done already?" and they look kind of hurt that I didn't eat so much, so I say "oh, I'm not that hungry" sometimes but I still feel bad and eat some more..
  • bonjourjackie
    bonjourjackie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Anything else I can say to them? :(
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Just explain that your making a lifestyle change for you but that you truly do enjoy the food an atmosphere. And ocassionaly that extra plate of whatever (pasta primavera here) is fine.
  • caribear1984
    Options
    Maybe just eat slower, if it is the time spent at the table that matters. Cut your food up into smaller pieces, chew it very well, and take time between bites.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    If you have weight you need to lose for health reasons maybe have a talk with them about it. Or if you really are focused on fitness goals, you could mention that.

There is also the option of eating fewer calories for your other meals, so during dinner you could eat quite a bit of calories. Not just to please your family or become uncomfortably full...but just another idea. My typical calorie breakdown for breakfast/lunch/dinner is roughly 200/500/700...when I know I'm having a special meal with family or friends I usually switch that to 150/300/1,000. Not every day though, I just wouldn't want to do that every day.

Just another idea.