Lose 60lbs in 4 months

Options
I am really new to MFP and I'm looking for some support and a little advice. I am trying to lose around 60lbs in 4 months and I was wondering if that is even possible, or healthy. I have been watching what I eat and definitely eating healthier. I also work about 30 minutes a day, 7 days a week. I started Januray 9th and so far I have lost about 7lbs! I think that is really awesome. Even though I have lost weight, I am still a little concerned about not reaching my goal weight in time. So if anyone out there is willing to lend me some support, it would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Anna19911
    Anna19911 Posts: 141
    Options
    Its not healthy to loose that much in such little time. Is there a reason you want to loose it that fast?
  • Mrl617
    Mrl617 Posts: 15
    Options
    I just want to lose it before summer. I at least want to look decent in a swimsuit.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot to lose in a short amount of time. I'd say you could lose 30 lbs in 4 months, but 60 lbs would be pushing it...
  • Anna19911
    Options
    Try giving yourself some more time. Its just not a reasonable goal and you'll probably wind up disappointed.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    That's a lot of weight loss really fast. I'd slow it up some - the slower it comes off, the longer it stays off. :flowerforyou:
  • Mrl617
    Options
    What do you think would be a healthy amount of time to lose the 60lbs?
  • lbarnett300
    Options
    The main thing to concentrate on is getting healthy. The weight will come off. I lost about 60 pounds in 4 months.
  • v1k1n95
    v1k1n95 Posts: 40
    Options
    Outside of not being sure whether or not losing 60lbs in 4 months is possible, I am most definately sure that it's not healthy. A healthy rate for weight loss is no more than 2 lbs per week. So for 4 months (4 months x 4 weeks = 16 weeks) it would only be healthy to lose no more than 32 lbs. You weightloss goal, in terms of doing it healthy, is more of a 7-8 month goal if done right.

All of this is from hours of research, for the record, as I'm working on shedding 65 lbs myself.

Working out 30 minutes for 7 days a week is good. Just remember, cardio is the weapon of choice for burning the most fat. Muscle training will only build muscle under the fat and won't even happen if you create a calorie deficit.
  • Anna19911
    Options
    A year would be a better time frame.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Look into the Primal Blueprint (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101). It will help you lean out. If you're wanting to look hot in a swimsuit this summer, you probably want to be lean and smokin' toned, not skinny. There's a difference. You can weigh 200 lbs & look like Linda Hamilton in Terminator, or you can weigh 150 and have a spare tire hanging over your bikini bottom.

Personally, I choose Hamilton for 200 ;)
  • Mrl617
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I at least have a better idea of a healthy time frame for losing the weight. I think for now, I am going to keep concentrating on eating healthier. I've cut out fast food, sweets, and I've cut back on pop. I only drink one can a day, I know I should switch to diet, or no pop at all, but I like it too much :)
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on how much you have to loose. If you have a huge amount to lose then maybe but I think 15-20 would be a more realistic goal.
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    it will be very difficult to say the least,

you have to be very selfish and with a baby that is not my recommendation,

I hope you are breast feeding as this will allow you more calories, but it will cut down on your freedom,

what will the baby be doing when you are exercising or preparing your diet foods?

the closer you get to your goal weight the slower it goes, and even cutting your calories to the bone will not get you enough of a deficit, your goal is very sharp,

if you put on the 60 pounds during your pregnancy it may be better to spend the equivalent time losing it, 9 months,

the first 10 are water, the first 30 the easiest,

sleep is incredibly important to weight loss, and to new mothers especially,

if you have a cook and housekeeper, if you have a full time nanny, if you have a personal trainer you just might be able to diet yourself into collapse,

please, please take yourself in hand and learn about eating with nutrition being your goal, the weight will fall,

exercise can come behind a stroller
  • v1k1n95
    v1k1n95 Posts: 40
    Options
    The problem for most overweight people, myself included until now, is not WHAT you eat entirely, but HOW MUCH. You don't have to cut out the fast food and sweets. I still eat McDonalds and stay under my calorie limit (It's still not very nutritious of couse.) I just don't order the Big Mac Meal with a large coke and large fry anymore :)
  • Mrl617
    Options
    I exercise when my son is sleeping. Otherwise if for some reason he's awake, I will set him in his playpen and he watches me. It makes it a little more fun that way for both of us, and makes the workout go by quicker. Preparing food isn't a big deal either, since I have been making food for myself the whole time. So I'm used to working around his schedule and I know it well enough to know when he needs my attention. I have lost about 20lbs of my pregnancy weight, I think I gained around 50lbs during my pregnancy. I just put on some weight before I got pregnant, and I want to lose that as well. Also I am not nursing, because my son has reflux and is allergic to dairy, so all the dairy I had would go to him. I did nurse for a while though, and it broke my heart when I had to stop. He's doing much better now though, so it all worked out.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    The workout routine you choose can still help ya look hot before reaching your goal weight. That last 25 lbs or so is less noticeable when you're all toned.
  • juliedk
    Options
    60 lbs .... you might be setting yourself up for failure ...
    i agree w/ toning ...
    pop ... the artificial sweeteners in pop might be doing some strange things to your body ... give it up completely ... don't switch to diet (you might start getting headaches from those sweeteners) ...
    bob from the biggest loser keeps saying DON'T DRINK YOUR CALORIES ...
    now, get up and do some lunges ...
    grab that empty milk jug and fill it w/ sand and water and work your arms ...
  • Mrl617
    Options
    Is getting shin splints normal when working out? I have been getting them when I do my cardio workouts. I do jumping jacks, running in place and some jump rope too. I want to know a way to prevent that from happening because I really like working out.
  • willtowin160
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but I wanted to address this question for anyone trying to fulfill the same goal of losing 60lbs in 4 months.
    Please know that this is totally possible (for some). With that said, I don't know how tall you are or your current weight. But I can tell you about my journey. I am 5'7'' and started at 276.8 and so far have lost 62 lbs in 4 months. The first few weeks I would walk atleast 45 mimutes 6 days a week. In the beginning I really wanted to focus on eating clean and healthy for my body. I personally love eating paleo. It is simple and easy to understand and it is something that I can and will do for the rest of my life. I focus on eating lots of veggies (organic when possible), quality protein (grass fed, organic or wild meats), nuts, seeds and plenty of water. After about a month I felt more confident and started going to the gym. And again I started slow with zumba and then started taking boxing and kettlebell classes. I think setting a number of how much you want to lose is great and it can keep you accountable, but your main focus should be on your health. Always remember to push yourself because as you lose weight you have to do more to get the results you'll want. When I started all I had to do was walk for 45 mins and now I usually take 2 classes (2 hrs) per day and sometimes I do 2 a days.

And btw there are studies that show losing weight quickly will help keep you focused because you're seeing results. If your starting weight is or was high like mine, it is totally possible for you to lose 60lbs in 4mos.
    Trust me you can do it. Good luck!!!!