"Empty" Areas Where Fat Used To Be?

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can describe it like this: I've had three babies. After the babies came out, the space where they had been was still there. It's the same way with my upper arms and thighs.

OK...this totally confused me.
    Do you mean you have 'rectus diastasis'?

ETA: obviously not talking about areas other than abdomen

No. I do not have that. However, the area never really shrunk back to it's former size.

I vote for lifting heavy. If you have areas that are 'flabby' & some that are loose skin, as well as some that may be a combination of the 2, I still say, lift weights.

Heavy weights. Compound movements. What have you got to lose?
    I'm sorry I can't be of more help. :ohwell:

I know it sounds glib & over-used as an answer, but that's only because it's true :blushing:
    ETA: after I lost 30#'s I looked TERRIBLE in shorts...weight training is changing that for me.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's what loose skin is. And it will depend on your age and genetics. I'm a bit tired honestly of hearing people say that doing strength training while you lose will prevent it... because it's not true at all. I did lifting and/or strength training the whole time and I have them on my stomach, upper arms, and inner thighs. My genetics just suck (I also don't heal well and scar easily). It's also worse in the areas where I already had stretch marks. I have a pocket of skin that hangs there when I bend over, it's just lovely.

So anyway... I've noticed a tiny improvement on my stomach in the last 6 months (I've only lost pretty much 3 pounds since then, but I've lost some inches). I don't think it's ever going away though. Same for my 'bat wings'... my triceps are much more defined now than they were 6 months ago, and the bat wings haven't moved.

This! I have done overarm lifts for 9 months and my biceps look good but the bat wings still flap (though maybe only a breeze rather than a gale!). I walk quite a bit but my upper thighs are not for view, though its good to have a thigh gap of sorts and as for my abdomen .... after three pregnancies in three years (23-26 years ago) and a life time of being overweight it looks weird - it is quite flat when I stand up but when i lean over it parts into two blobs - one to the left, one to the right, and wrinkles over the stretch marks.

BUT I wouldn't trade any of these going for the weight back.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can describe it like this: I've had three babies. After the babies came out, the space where they had been was still there. It's the same way with my upper arms and thighs.

No. I do not have that. However, the area never really shrunk back to it's former size.

I vote for lifting heavy. If you have areas that are 'flabby' & some that are loose skin, as well as some that may be a combination of the 2, I still say, lift weights.

I know it sounds glib & over-used as an answer, but that's only because it's true :blushing:
    ETA: after I lost 30#'s I looked TERRIBLE in shorts...weight training is changing that for me.

Well, once again I will say that I have been dong that. I can only hope it helps more over time.
  • hookilau
    Options

Well, once again I will say that I have been dong that. I can only hope it helps more over time.

I get it.
    It takes time.
    So have I.
    However, I'm now almost to a point where I can consider wearing shorts in public instead of only around the house :huh:
    A swim suit is not in the cards for me this summer, much to my disappointment. You'd think that at 126#'s I'd be able to at least wear shorts, but noooo :laugh:

Next year...men will pass out at the sight of me, traffic will stop & small children will explode :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Well, I'm at 123. Good Luck to both of us.
  • kika_mckee
    kika_mckee Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy but have you tried dry brushing your skin. I have been doing it off and on and it seems to be helping a little, and it only takes a few minutes. (even if it does not help with the tightening my skin feels amazing!)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/dry-skin-brushing-benefits-cellulite_n_1811708.html
  • KultaPanda2
    Options
    Next year...men will pass out at the sight of me, traffic will stop & small children will explode :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh man, you can see how little I post on the forums, but I had to say, this cracked me up! Best of luck to you! :)
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have this problem? After losing over 40 pounds I don't really have any loose skin. What I have are saggy, flabby areas where the fat used to be. For instance, my legs aren't really that much smaller than they used to be, but they sure are flabbier. So much for being able to look good in a pair of shorts! Same thing with my stomach area. Not bad standing up, but bend over, look down, and die!

I don't picture this situation ever getting better. I look a lot better in clothes than I used to, and I guess I'll have to settle for that.

I don't have much of a problem that way. I have used Palmer's Firming Butter with Shea butter, Collagen, Elastin and Vitamin E on a fairly regular basis to help firm and tighten the skin. This lotion is recommended after pregnancy and weight loss. A 315 ml pump bottle cost me about $8 which is quite low in comparison to some of the other lotions I use. Another good lotion to use is Amlactin. It gently exfoliates while moisturizing. Use it first then the Palmer's but the Palmer's will help by itself.
  • luciouslizzy
    luciouslizzy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, first of all CONGRATULATIONS for the weight loss, you should be very happy! And yes in order to rid yourself of the "flabby" areas, start doing some weight training. It doens't have to be heavy weights, but enough to engage your muscles to build up a bit. You'll look great without "bulking up"

Again, congratulation on your weight loss!!!! :)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I've also heard that the length of time it takes to tighten up depends on how long it was in the expanded state...

So, since I was overweight for about 35 years, I will be one damn tight 75 year old!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though, I have a similar issue with my gut. Can almost see my abs when standing, but when I sit down it is a total paunch. Guess I am not too worried about it, seems a small price to pay for wearing clothes 3-4 sizes smaller, losing 100 lbs, being healthier, living longer, etc. :drinker:
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Agree with this. I lost about 26 lbs doing just cardio and eating less from Jan - March. I was lighter and smaller but my legs had a lot of cellulite and my arms were flabby with really gross "batwings". I started lifting heavy and eating near/above maintenance at that point (3/15) and now weigh more, but am smaller and tighter, getting closer to what I want to look like every day. Patience, heavy lifting, a good macro split with calories near TDEE. That's my best advice.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Well, I reached my original weight goal a whole back, but decided to lower it by 5 more pounds. Still working to get rid of 3 more pounds, then planning to maybe eat a little above maintenance - once I figure out what that is - and add muscle.

Yes. I am very happy to be rid of the extra weight! Even if I end up flabbier than I would like, I am still so much better off in so many ways. Not really complaining.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's loose skin.

You should exercise more, strength training.
    Also lots of moisturizing. Drink more water, use more lotions on your skin.

I also love accupancture and it does help with loose skin. And I like the RF lifting treatments, they're pricey but they give incredible results.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Well, I don't really think I can exercise much more than I already am. I guess I don't really feel that there is a lotion out there that actually does anything much except moisturize.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    The problem with these discussions is that there are people participating of all different ages. When I was in my twenties, thirties, forties and even in the beginning fifties I had no skin problems after dropping some weight. Now I am nearly seventy and since menopause my weight has been fluctuating too much and the skin really shows it. The ideal situation would be if we all could stay at our ideal weight all the time and then our skin would not get so saggy and have these empty pockets. But unfortunately that is not the reality. I am determined to find something beside surgery to help this condition. I am taking cold showers all the time, I dry brush my skin and in winter I will go to the Sauna again. In summer I live in a sauna, so I sweat enough:embarassed:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The problem with these discussions is that there are people participating of all different ages. When I was in my twenties, thirties, forties and even in the beginning fifties I had no skin problems after dropping some weight. Now I am nearly seventy and since menopause my weight has been fluctuating too much and the skin really shows it. The ideal situation would be if we all could stay at our ideal weight all the time and then our skin would not get so saggy and have these empty pockets. But unfortunately that is not the reality. I am determined to find something beside surgery to help this condition. I am taking cold showers all the time, I dry brush my skin and in winter I will go to the Sauna again. In summer I live in a sauna, so I sweat enough:embarassed:

Yeah. Seriously... exercise won't help when you were 50 to 80 pounds overweight for 15 years. I have killer triceps now... but my bat wings are not going anywhere, and I doubt the skin on my stomach is either... even if I kill myself at the gym. There is definitely some detached fat under the skin there though, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere either. Maybe if I go down to 15% body fat or something.. which isn't happening :laugh:

But losing 25 pounds that you gained in a couple years and losing 80 pounds that you had for 10+ years = not the same situation at all. Exercise will not always help.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP I know you said you have been doing strong lifts 5*5 for a year, but i'm wondering how you are advancing the weight.. after a year of steadily increasing the weight im thinking you should have been moved to something like a 5/3/1 scale
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    To clarify - I'm not saying flab means there is no problem with loose skin, or even that any of us are willing to do what it takes to really see if it is truly just loose skin or not. But flab means that there may yet be a non-surgical fix.

This excerpt from <http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-get-rid-of-excess-skin-after-major-weight-loss/#axzz39pTIjmRK&gt; explains pretty well:
    If your loose skin is thicker than a few millimeters, there is residual body fat. And because adipose tissue – which, remember, is actually a major endocrine organ, rather than an inert piece of tissue – remains, the skin has no reason to return to its former size and elasticity. As long as the subcutaneous fat attached to it remains, the skin will appear loose and drape-y. Skin that fills your hand when you squeeze it isn’t just skin.

This isn’t really bad news, believe it or not. It actually means that you’re almost there. It means that your “loose skin” isn’t necessarily out of your control. If indeed it is simply stubborn subcutaneous fat, once you manage to lose the excess fat, the “loose skin” might just disappear along with it. In fact, I’d imagine that most such cases of “loose skin” can and will be remedied in this manner. Men, get down to around 10-12% body fat before you start considering surgery or anything drastic. Women, get down to 15-17% body fat before taking any surgical steps.
  • hookilau
    Options

Yeah. Seriously... exercise won't help when you were 50 to 80 pounds overweight for 15 years. I have killer triceps now... but my bat wings are not going anywhere, and I doubt the skin on my stomach is either... even if I kill myself at the gym. There is definitely some detached fat under the skin there though, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere either. Maybe if I go down to 15% body fat or something.. which isn't happening :laugh:

But losing 25 pounds that you gained in a couple years and losing 80 pounds that you had for 10+ years = not the same situation at all. Exercise will not always help.

:brokenheart: You're right.
    I say give up...or you could suck it up and do what you have to do :wink:
    I'm not sure what kind of reassurances you need but as a natural part of aging, your skin becomes less elastic. I'm not really sure how much of that is hormonal vs weight loss, but does it really matter?

I was overweight for 17 years....lost the weight during the course of last year. I've been lifting heavy for at least 10 of those years.
    Only this past year since losing the weight there are visible changes.

At the beginning of the summer, I tried on a size 6 jeans and they fit really niiice. Encouraged, I tried on a size 6 pair of shorts. YOu should've SEEEN the look of horror on my husband's face when I opened that dressing room :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I opened the door & the look on his face was all I needed, I just closed it again & changed back into my old jeans. He felt horrible, but I knew it wasn't a good look.

My legs looked like deflated balloons with cellulite :laugh: I can laugh now cause it was THAT awful. My legs have improved so much from just a couple of months ago that I can almost wear shorts out in public & feel confident :wink:

OP, I don't mean to sound harsh, but really, you'll either have to do something about it or accept it. However, I don't see how it's productive to kvetch about it =/

You sound like a really nice lady, I wish you all the best & hope things turn around for you.
    :drinker:
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I've heard that sometimes if you have been overweight. Your body doesn't store fat with the same logic as someone who has never been overweight. Someone who hasn't been overweight builds up their fat deposits just fine and evenly. And if they never get bad with it then that's where it stays. But someone very fat who has lost weights can often end up with left over areas of sub cutaneous fat under their skin which prevent the area from tightening properly. According to this viewpoint you have to stick with the diet and get even slimmer. You have to literally force the body to use those skin based fat deposits because if it doesn't then the skin won't tighten.

That being said if you are sure it's not leftover fat then it could just be your age. Your skin isn't as elastic as it used to be unfortunately.

I wish you the best of luck as I'm kinda developing this problem myself.