If you like planks, check this out

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
http://bretcontreras.com/long-lever-posterior-tilt-planks-kick-****-traditional-planks/

(Substitute *kitten* for the **** in the link)

Bret Contreras has published another EMG study in which he compared traditional planks with long lever posterior tilt planks (LLPTP). The LLPTP results in 300%-400% greater recruitment of abdominal muscle fibers than the traditional plank.

The link shows brief study results and has a video demonstrating the LLPTP. I rarely do planks but even I might try this out.

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    http://bretcontreras.com/long-lever-posterior-tilt-planks-kick-****-traditional-planks/

Bret Contreras has published another EMG study in which he compared traditional planks with long lever posterior tilt planks (LLPTP). The LLPTP results in 300%-400% greater recruitment of abdominal muscle fibers than the traditional plank.

The link shows brief study results and has a video demonstrating the LLPTP. I rarely do planks but even I might try this out.

That's cool, but one can't hold a basic front or side plank for a good minute or so then that doesn't matter too much.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

That's cool, but one can't hold a basic front or side plank for a good minute or so then that doesn't matter too much.

Well, that should take about 2 weeks, and then you can do the more advanced stuff.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.
    I've can do the arms no problem, but not sure I'm doing the tilting right. I clench my glutes, but don't really understand what is meant by pulling my pubic bone towards my belly button and pushing my tail bone towards my feet........I guess practice and time will tell if I am doing it right.
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you stand up straight and let your tailbone drift behind you, that's anterior pelvic tilt. if you then tighten your glutes and thrust your hips forward like you're locking off a deadlift, your pelvis rotates so that your tailbone drops and the front of your pelvis rises. That's posterior pelvic tilt.

pptapt.gif
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Saw this on twitter this morning, this man is a genius. I tried it first thing and wow! I was at the point of planking for yonks and still not feeling abs kick in, this is much better, hits harder, faster and takes less time to get the same shake.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you stand up straight and let your tailbone drift behind you, that's anterior pelvic tilt. if you then tighten your glutes and thrust your hips forward like you're locking off a deadlift, your pelvis rotates so that your tailbone drops and the front of your pelvis rises. That's posterior pelvic tilt.

pptapt.gif

Thanks so much! That's much clearer now. :drinker: