Really disappointed in fitbit

Options
I didn't get it for the sleep, I think that part is really dumb and and useless.

I just got it last week, and I didn't know if I use it on the treadmill, it won't work and I'm told the data will have to be added manually, and I'm too dumb to learn how to add something manually.

I realize I need to get over needing a device to monitor my exercise...

So before I dump this on ebay, please tell me what I'm missing or what you love about yours. It's also sweaty. Thanks,

Replies

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I love mine because it's made me much more aware and honest about general day to day activity. It's helped me cut through all the debate on needed calories that goes on here and look at what my body really needs.

It's also really easy to learn how to input the data manually. You can do it on your phone or on the web.
  • lookpregbutnot
    lookpregbutnot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    my friend suggested I hook it on my shoe lace for the treadmill, so that recorded. So it's better.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've had one since February and love it.

I don't get hung up in whether is perfectly accurate or not and I don't log my exercise which is actually real easy to do but I'm just not interested.

Why does it work for me? I just make sure that every day I get at the very least 20 thousand steps, 10 miles, 50 floors. That's a constant that I can use and see. Before this I had been ill so I was very sedentary and even as I was getting better, after a couple of years of spending a lot of time in bed it was hard to get motivated. Competing with myself via Fitbit has changed that.

I wear it it on my pant's waist and I'm never without it.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've found that RunKeeper does pretty much the same thing (as well as the iPhone integration) and I also never used mine for the sleep aspect of it.

I also didn't find it that accurate, to be honest. I could be at my desk typing something and the FitBit would count it as "steps" - to me, that's something I just can't put my trust in.

My husband also doesn't use his anymore, either.
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, and also love it for my treadmill work outs. I have the One, and I either clip it on my hip or on my bra and it tracks nicely.
  • mamasitaroja
    mamasitaroja Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love it because it's a constant reminder to me to move more, and it generally tracks what I do. That said, if I am going to be pushing a stroller, shopping cart, using a treadmill or anything else where my arms aren't moving in response to what I am doing, I use a hair elastic to put it around my ankle so that it registers. I still have to add Insanity manually, since most of that exercise is not what FitBit is "looking for", although it does register something. I love to see how fast I can make my steps/calorie goal for the day, and it syncs with my phone, so I can check at any point what I have burned throughout the day, regardless of my access to MFP.

The sweaty part.....I just make sure to take it off and wash it quickly after anything truly sweaty/filthy, and I don't shower in it.

The sleep function is nice if I am trying to figure out why I don't feel rested.....just tap it until you see two lights as you get into bed, and it will add sleep to your weekly report. I forget a lot.....but when I remember, it's helpful.

Planning on keeping it, but adding a Polar for running, Insanity, etc.

Hope this helps!
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've found that RunKeeper does pretty much the same thing (as well as the iPhone integration) and I also never used mine for the sleep aspect of it.

I also didn't find it that accurate, to be honest. I could be at my desk typing something and the FitBit would count it as "steps" - to me, that's something I just can't put my trust in.

I also head that if you use the wrist fitbit it does count normal hand movements as steps (thats why I didn't purchase that one).
  • roeroe5
    roeroe5 Posts: 27
    Options
    Love mine! Figure it out, it's worth it.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit one and clip it to my bra and it seems to work fine counting steps when I'm on the treadmill and overall encourages regular movement for me throughout the day. I do have a heart rate monitor that I also use for some of my workouts...
    I also manually log things onto the Fitbit website, take a minute to look at it, it's really easy after you do it once!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex now for about 8 months and it is extremely accurate.
    It does NOT include hand movements - unless you were to shake your hand back and forth vigorously!
    I don't understand why OP finds it doesn't work on the treadmill - I do a lot of workouts that including jogging/walking on the spot and it tracks them all perfectly.
    Fitbit has been key to me getting to goal and staying there - average 14-20k per day and my hubby was so impressed he even got one and its working great for him too...it makes us get moving whenever we can :)

plus if you're from the UK you can get rewarded in vouchers for getting your steps in see bounts.com and get walking for those :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I just use the S Health app on my Samsung Galaxy phone, since I carry my phone with me almost everywhere....it's free and probably just as accurate, lol. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on the Fitbit when the phone is sufficient, imho. I aim for 10,000 steps a day.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I bought a bit-holster on eBay for $4.95 -- it's a piece of tough nylon cording that has velcro connection and a little pocket for the "bit" - I can wear it in my bra, waistband, pocket, etc -- and it tracks the steps more accurately. Also allows me to wear all my daytime jewlery, watch, RoadID on my wrists without that extra tracker onboard, too. If you have the fitbit integrated to MFP, adding in exercise is actually pretty easy. The same way you've always done it, you just tell MFP what time you started the activity, and for how long.

So, if I play tennis doubles for 1.5 hours -- I just enter that, MFP puts in the calories, and fitbit adjusts the calorie total for the day, by adding in the difference, if any.
  • hoktauri
    hoktauri Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have my flex on my non-dominant hand but switched the setting to dominant to cut down on some errant steps and I'm happy with it. I do have to say though that everything I've from fitbit about the flex says you will get some errant steps from hand movement and not to assume it will be 100% accurate.
  • BOC57
    BOC57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit and it seemed to work fine. It is a great tool, I think, if you are just trying to increase the amount of time that you move around in a day. I had been quite sedentary and it did motivate me to get out of the chair and moving more. But when it came to serious workouts at the gym, it just wasn't up for the job. I have a heart rate monitor now that I find to be much more accurate in terms of measuring the calorie burn regardless of the exercise. I do a lot of circuit training or boot camp style workouts and there was just no way the FitBit was able to register that. An HRM is accurate for cardio whether you are on the bike, treadmill, running outside or taking a class....Swimming is the only activity that is off the list since it can't get wet. It will give you the average heart rate, your max heart rate during the workout and best of all the amount of calories you have burned. I will say this though, the set up for the monitor is a bit more complicated, and mine doesn't come with an automatic logging feature, but all I really care about is the calories. I bet someone at the gym could help you set it up if you decided to go that route.

I have found the calorie burn for the exercise on MFP to be way over for me in many cases. The heart rate monitor on the other hand is set for my weight and age and is based on how high, how long and how frequently I am raising my heart rate. There is no room for cheating the monitor because it doesn't care whether you call your walking, light, moderate, or intense, it only cares how hard your body has worked. I don't remember what a Fitbit runs but an HRM like mine (a Polar Ft4) runs around $80.

Don't apologize for needing the feed back from a device to keep you motivated. I say whatever works!!!
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit one! In just a month it has motivated me to walk/run from less than 5K steps a day to over 15K! I'm in a few groups which ranks me amongst all the members and I am constantly trying to improve.

I just clip it to my pants, short, whatever really and i find that it logs quite accurately. I also find the sleep function quite useful. The dashboard and software are great as well for keeping track.
  • lulu150
    lulu150 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Flex and I use it on the treadmill. I just tap the device (just like sleep mode) when I start and it vibrates, when I am done I do the tapping again and it cuts that time out for my workout, I do not log anything manually but food here in MFP. Just yesterday I checked and my treadmill said 1.11 miles and my Fitbit said .9 miles. While they do not match, I think they are accurate enough for me. I also had the Fitbit Ultra for 3 years and loved that one. That one was also always a little off with my treadmill but then again it could be my cheap treadmill that is inaccurate. I do work a desk job all day and have not noticed where the Flex is counting steps because I am typing away or making movements with my hands, it seems to be inline with my Ultra as far as my average steps.
  • Meredith8684
    Meredith8684 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Mine works well on the treadmill. Give it another shot! I love how it makes me move, definitely psychological, but I'll take what I can get :). The only things I log are weight training, swimming, and biking, everything else the fitbit catches. Plus it does a great job calculating all of the random movement I do every day.
  • fryebootgirl
    fryebootgirl Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I also head that if you use the wrist fitbit it does count normal hand movements as steps (thats why I didn't purchase that one).

I have my flex set as being worn on my non dominant hand. I have watched it as I type and it does not count my hand movements as steps. I'm not sure if this is a new fix or not. I have changed the setting to dominant hand, same thing. The step counter does not count hand motions as steps with my device. Same with my sons. They seem to be pretty accurate.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Mine works fine on the treadmill.

It sounds like you're holding onto the rails. Your arms are supporting a lot of your bodyweight if you do this and this vastly reduces your cardiovascular workout. You may be going faster, but you're not burning nearly as many calories as you think you are. Reduce the speed and use your arms like you would if you were outside walking, and move up the speed/incline/intensity from there as you progress. Plus, your fitbit will work.
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Flex for several months now. I love it.

It may not be perfect on the steps, but it is still great.

I use mine to Aqua Jog. The Flex is water proof. And it is pretty accurate. I jog 4. to 5 KM per day in the pool. And I try to make my step goal each day. It helps.

The sleep function was the real reason I got it. I find I toss and turn and get up in the night a great deal. The Flex tracks that, Tap it 3 times quickly and you go into sleep mode. It helps me, as I study what I do each day when I am restless vs sleep well. I get info like: I am awake 6 times and was restless 15 times. And slept for 8.5 hours. So that means I did not get a really good nights sleep. And I try to work out what I can do to improve my sleep habits. It is great.

I also use the Fitbit website to track my Blood Pressure daily (severe Hypertension) and my heart rate. It also has a place for glucose for Diabetics. I use MFP for my calories and exercise.

the only issue I have, is that I can not sync with my Windows 8.1 Phone. It just will not work. So I only sync once or twice a day via my computer. which is a disappointment. But I am using for long term habits. So will live with it. That is the only issue I have had with my Fitbit Flex.

The best $100 USD I spent.