Going heavy (er)

Options
I'm starting to increase my weights. I do some home DVD's to weight train, mostly Cathe Freidich videos. Will increasing the weight lifted effect weight loss in the short term. I've heard that initially your muscles hold onto more water so it may stall the weight loss until they get used to it. Does this make sense?

Replies

• Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose about 15 more pounds. I will start measurements as well.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Yes, take measurements, judge how your clothes are fitting you, and just look in the mirror.

Also, if you're really looking to go heavier with weight then you'll need to start real strength-training. Those videos (P90, Insanity, <insert video name>) are not strength training, they are primarily cardio first and foremost. You can gain some strength by doing them obviously, but they are not true strength training methods and they do not get into the realm of "heavy."
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    I can't do a gym membership right now but I do have a home set up including free weights sets from 3-25 lbs, a barbell with weights up to 65 lbs, a step and a treadmill. Can you recommend any videos that do real weight training?
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the numbers on the scales, worry about what you look like in a mirror, if your'e getting smaller you're losing fat.
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yup, I rely more on the mirror now than what the scales tell me
  • criticaldog
    criticaldog Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new myself, but for free weights, your best bet is going to be YouTube, rather than a purchased DVD. Also, it's Free.

A lot of folks have had a lot of success with the "Starting Strength" routine, you can also look into "5x5" weight lifting and others. There are a ton of videos on YT showing proper form and technique, and you can get decent results if you stick to it.

Be advised, actual weightlifting will amp your appetite up, as you start burning more calories.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I can't do a gym membership right now but I do have a home set up including free weights sets from 3-25 lbs, a barbell with weights up to 65 lbs, a step and a treadmill. Can you recommend any videos that do real weight training?

If you want to do "real" weight training, you're going to grow out of 65 lbs of weights real quick. Most newbies start with the 45-lb bar on most compound lifts, and you move up quite quickly in the first few weeks.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Yes, take measurements, judge how your clothes are fitting you, and just look in the mirror.

Also, if you're really looking to go heavier with weight then you'll need to start real strength-training. Those videos (P90, Insanity, <insert video name>) are not strength training, they are primarily cardio first and foremost. You can gain some strength by doing them obviously, but they are not true strength training methods and they do not get into the realm of "heavy."

Full push-ups and pull-ups are #heavy enough for me. I can't do either yet, How heavy is heavy? Am I trying to be able to bench 400 lbs?? lol

ETA: I weigh over 200 now.
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    Any suggestions for Dvd's?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for Dvd's?

I love P90X. It was plenty of a challenge for me in the strength department, and helped me drop 2% body fat in 2 months. I ended up aout 20%, the lowest I think I've ever been. I'm thinking of starting again, actually. This time, BEFORE I lose most of the weight.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the numbers on the scales, worry about what you look like in a mirror, if your'e getting smaller you're losing fat.

^This; however, if you have a lot of fat to lose then the numbers should trend downward over time.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there's really not a DVD like that. Well... not entirely true. Joe DeFranco's website sells videos that are strength oriented programs and that's about all I would recommend for strength training videos. His latest one is called "Strength System" and I believe there are videos with it but it's probably more instructional. http://www.defrancostraining.com/

If your goals are truly strength, then you'll have to breakdown and either get a membership or get a squat rack, barbell, and plates for a home gym. I'm not trying to be a smart-*kitten* or ****ty; it's just a fact. There's just so much false marketing with videos these days that play on people's misunderstanding of strength training and training myths that make it seems like you can just do a 20min or 30min video. If you're goal is just aerobic conditioning then get something like P90x or Insanity and you'll have some improvement in strength just from your body adapting to the different movements (if it's possible to adapt to those and the silly "muscle confusion" theory) but those types of videos are definitely cardio oriented. Best of luck in whatever you decide! :)
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I don't have a video suggestion, but Scooby's workshop has lots of beginner plans that you can do at home. http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/

Or you can look into bodyweight training plans like Body By You, You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning.

I personally tried but wasn't crazy about Body By You. And I currently do "cardio-ish" Body Pump class at the gym, and have for a couple months, and am happy with my results so far. I have been increasingly challenging myself but haven't yet gotten beyond 10 kg on the bar.
  • Leanbean65
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.