Really disappointed in fitbit

Options

Replies

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I've found that RunKeeper does pretty much the same thing (as well as the iPhone integration) and I also never used mine for the sleep aspect of it.

I also didn't find it that accurate, to be honest. I could be at my desk typing something and the FitBit would count it as "steps" - to me, that's something I just can't put my trust in.

My husband also doesn't use his anymore, either.

I also head that if you use the wrist fitbit it does count normal hand movements as steps (thats why I didn't purchase that one).

The wrist one you have to tell it in the settings what your dominate hand is than it won't count hand swings or typing. Love my Fitbit feel naked without it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I didn't get it for the sleep, I think that part is really dumb and and useless.

I just got it last week, and I didn't know if I use it on the treadmill, it won't work and I'm told the data will have to be added manually, and I'm too dumb to learn how to add something manually.

I realize I need to get over needing a device to monitor my exercise...

So before I dump this on ebay, please tell me what I'm missing or what you love about yours. It's also sweaty. Thanks,

What are you trying to use a Fitbit for? Your second paragraph comes across (to me) that you're expecting the Fitbit to sync with a treadmill and use that data to upload to MFP. Is that right? AFAIK, Fitbits don't auto sync with exercise equipment. They will sync with certain fitness apps like MFP and LoseIt! if you allow it to share data.

All a Fitbit is is a fancy pedometer. You wear it all the time, except for bathing, swimming, and sleep (if you don't care about that). If you have it synced with MFP, it will give an exercise allowance and you don't have to log any exercises.

Probably sounds snobby from me, but I'm wondering if you know how to use a Fitbit.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and I love it. I wear It clipped to my bra. It tracks on the treadmill nicely. It motivates me. I look at the dashboard on the web or app all the time to see my progress. Love it!
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex now for about 8 months and it is extremely accurate.
    It does NOT include hand movements - unless you were to shake your hand back and forth vigorously!
    I don't understand why OP finds it doesn't work on the treadmill - I do a lot of workouts that including jogging/walking on the spot and it tracks them all perfectly.
    Fitbit has been key to me getting to goal and staying there - average 14-20k per day and my hubby was so impressed he even got one and its working great for him too...it makes us get moving whenever we can :)

plus if you're from the UK you can get rewarded in vouchers for getting your steps in see bounts.com and get walking for those :)

It actually DOES count hand movements for things like peeling and chopping veggies etc. I stand still doing those and sometimes I can rack up 200 'steps'
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Never had problems with it on my elliptical trainer...
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    it measures movement not steps so it's never gonna be completely accurate but it's more then accurate enough. It is calibrated to not over measure things that are clearly not walking, jogging or running.

It works on a treadmill same as it works on a real world surface i don't get why yours doesn't the only thing it doesn't do is give you an accurate representation of your calories really are when you are doing exercises, it's only meant to be a pedometer not a activity measurer or heart rate monitor. Get a Polar HRM if you want to measure your burns at the gym and leave the fitbit to measure steps and total TDEE, which btw works out to be about right regardless of it's inaccuracies at measuring some things,

My only beef is activity/sleep mode is kinda useless, whether you use them or not it still measures the same movements anyway the only difference is if you input an activity manually you can tell MFP or fitbit site how man cals you burned.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Mine works fine on the treadmill.

It sounds like you're holding onto the rails. Your arms are supporting a lot of your bodyweight if you do this and this vastly reduces your cardiovascular workout. You may be going faster, but you're not burning nearly as many calories as you think you are. Reduce the speed and use your arms like you would if you were outside walking, and move up the speed/incline/intensity from there as you progress. Plus, your fitbit will work.

in case you missed it. i get the feeling this is the correct answer.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I didn't get it for the sleep, I think that part is really dumb and and useless.

I just got it last week, and I didn't know if I use it on the treadmill, it won't work and I'm told the data will have to be added manually, and I'm too dumb to learn how to add something manually.

I realize I need to get over needing a device to monitor my exercise...

So before I dump this on ebay, please tell me what I'm missing or what you love about yours. It's also sweaty. Thanks,

That is hardly the fault of the fitbit :huh:

I have the fitbit one and aI love it - it helps me get more steps during the day and I'm using it to monitor my sleep - I don't find that bit dumb and useless at all.

On second thoughts the fault is not with the fitbit but the user. :flowerforyou:
  • annie_e12
    annie_e12 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use mine on the treadmill every day with no trouble. Are you pushing the button to let it know that you are starting to exercise? Mine is right on for mileage.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I'm also confused as to why you think this doesn't work on the treadmill. Steps are steps, and mine logs treadmill steps just fine. Unless, as someone else pointed out, you are holding onto the bar of the treadmill. In that case, cut it out - you aren't doing yourself any favors.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    mine works for elliptical and treadmill... it's clipped to my bra also.

ETA: do you have the flex (bracelet) and are holding on to the rails?)
  • b4tb4t
    b4tb4t Posts: 30
    Options
    I stay at home the majority of my weekdays, and I find it really helps remind me to move around more even when I'm not exercising. I also keep mine at my hip or clipped on the bottom of my shorts. I don't find it giving me any steps for my arm moving around, as I move my arms a lot crafting/drawing/etc. I'm using the Zip though. I used to have the Ultra but I found it too bulky for me and the holster broke on me twice.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I kept my Fitbit Force even though it was recalled because I love it so much!

I ride an exercise bike and it records that activity nicely, as well as captures my brisk walks to and from my car in the parking lot at work each day.

Give it time!
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I used a fitbit flex from December to April. I found I really didn't do me much good. I was really disappointed in it also. But that being said, I know several people personally who use it and love it. It just didn't work for me. I linked it to MFP and the calorie adjustments were ridiculous. I now just use my polar 7T during exercise and use a podometer that I bought for 10$ that does a much better job of counting steps then the fitbit did. I did have to tie mine to my shoe when using the treadmill or elliptical and I didn't hold the sides of the treadmill. I think people either love it or hate it. Good luck finding something that works for you in reaching your goals.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Mine works fine on the treadmill.

It sounds like you're holding onto the rails. Your arms are supporting a lot of your bodyweight if you do this and this vastly reduces your cardiovascular workout. You may be going faster, but you're not burning nearly as many calories as you think you are. Reduce the speed and use your arms like you would if you were outside walking, and move up the speed/incline/intensity from there as you progress. Plus, your fitbit will work.

in case you missed it. i get the feeling this is the correct answer.

I kind of thought that as well. However, I get steps for mowing the lawn and I'm holding on to the mower. I haven't tested the accuracy, maybe I'm not getting all of my steps.
  • brewskisteve
    Options
    I have the Fit Force and I love it. I've lost 65 lbs. since last September and have been wearing the Fit Force since 11-2013. It constantly reminds you to move and think about how you can get more steps. Mine works fine on the treadmill or just walking. It doesn't count by the movement of your arm, it senses the movement your whole body generates when taking a step. If you see it counting while you sit that is because even while you are sitting your body is still burning calories as it rests and Fit Bit accounts for that. Adding manually is very easy as well.

Bottom line is this device does work and it works well. Look at all of the positive feed back you received. Every device you purchase will have its pros and cons; I researched quite a few before buying the Fit Force. Take a few minutes to learn how to use it and how it works before you give up. Good Luck
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex now for about 8 months and it is extremely accurate.
    It does NOT include hand movements - unless you were to shake your hand back and forth vigorously!
    I don't understand why OP finds it doesn't work on the treadmill - I do a lot of workouts that including jogging/walking on the spot and it tracks them all perfectly.
    Fitbit has been key to me getting to goal and staying there - average 14-20k per day and my hubby was so impressed he even got one and its working great for him too...it makes us get moving whenever we can :)

plus if you're from the UK you can get rewarded in vouchers for getting your steps in see bounts.com and get walking for those :)

It actually DOES count hand movements for things like peeling and chopping veggies etc. I stand still doing those and sometimes I can rack up 200 'steps'

are you wearing on non-dominant hand? mine syncs with my phone so I can experiment and check the steps, it doesn't count my arm movements as steps at all, I really have to vigorously shake my arm which isn't a natural movement to make it show up as steps...

and even if it did count the odd hand movement as a step its not a big deal, its keeping me very active which is the main thing :)

ps I sometimes clip it around the middle of my bra at front when I want to hide it - especially when I'm wearing pretty dresses and jewellery... it still counts the steps that way too.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I wasn't happy with mine at first. I've had mine 4 months now. Now that i know how to use it better I find i cant live without it. I use mine on machines (wrist style) and don't have an issue. I don't hold on rails when i use the machines. Not sure if that is your issue. I find it's harder to get in exercise that i can eat that entering in items manually - i consider it more accurate.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Love mine! Figure it out, it's worth it.

:laugh: :drinker:
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, mine works on the treadmill. The only thing I do that it doesn't work on is biking. Either my stationary bike or outside bike, it doesn't work. Its ok thought because I track that differently anyways and only use my fitbit for things I do everyday so I do not just sit on the couch all day.