Coming in under target, need healthy snacks!

Options
Hey all,

Along with picking up MFP again after a few months, I've actually started to properly weigh/plan my meals, and have been doing pretty well with the majority of them. Yet I find myself coming way under my calorie goal, as I don't want to finish the day on ~500 under, I'm ending up basically snacking on something calorific just to boost my levels. (Pastry/toast/chocolate etc)

Anyone have any good snacking suggestions? Or would you suggest way under is actually good? (I personally don't think it is, but hey ho).

Replies

• OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you are under your calorie goal basically eat more. It doesn't really matter what, if it fits then eat it. It doesn't have to be what you consider healthy either, food is food, although try and hit your macros.

The one item to be aware of is if you are logging your exercise and eating the calories back. In that case its easy to over estimate, and end up with a very small, or non existent deficit.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you are under your calorie goal basically eat more. It doesn't really matter what, if it fits then eat it. It doesn't have to be what you consider healthy either, food is food, although try and hit your macros.

The one item to be aware of is if you are logging your exercise and eating the calories back. In that case its easy to over estimate, and end up with a very small, or non existent deficit.

Ah OK, so basically calories override pretty much everything (In the most generalised terms)? I don't log exercise, as I do tend to skew the figures, and instead just keep an eye on what MFP says vs. Accupedo says in terms of daily activity levels.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Trust your gut - coming in way under is bad, especially for a guy since you need more calories than us ladies.

Technically, you can eat whatever you like. Some very successful people on here eat ice cream or gelato on a regular basis because as long as it fits your calories/macros, it's all good. But if you prefer to go with more real foods (healthy is subjective) how about nuts, seeds, dried fruit (or put those three together for yummy trail mix), peanut butter with apple or carrots or banana, eggs, full fat yogurt or cottage cheese, avocado, cheese and fruit...

That's all I've got off the top of my head. The other option is bulking up meals by adding oils, sauces and some of the above ingredients. Skip the diet foods, you have plenty of calories and there's nothing wrong with full fat...unless, of course, you have a heart health issue. :)

ETA - just saw that you don't log calories. In that case, you DEFINITELY need to eat more. I get that it's hard to estimate but you can't just skip that part of the program completely. One option to make it a bit simpler is to up your activity level. Say you have a desk job so you're sedentary but you work out a few times a week so that would make you at least lightly active...and you can set your activity level as such. That way you don't have to worry about logging exercise as the calories are already factored into your daily goal.

edited again - holy typos Batman!
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much it in simple terms, for weight loss calorie in vs calorie out is the king. From a health point of view, try to and meet your macros. Having a few crisps or pieces of bread is fine. I eat more bread now then I ever did before, and I can guarantee you it has done nothing to effect weight loss.
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There are some snacks that are both healthy and have a bit of calories. Peanut butter/other nut butters, for instance. I use avocado for a snack sometimes. And I can eat about a mountain of Greek yogurt - tasty, and tons of protein.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How far under, in my opinion, depends on your goals. I'm at a 250/day deficit for example so if I have a day where I'm 500 under and really feel like I've had enough - I don't worry about it. If I were on a 1000/day deficit though that would be different.

Snack ideas:
    nuts (cashews, almonds, peanuts, etc.);
    cheese;
    banana (or any fruit but banana is the highest calorie fruit I can think of)
  • ajnb88
    Options
    Trust your gut - coming in way under is bad, especially for a guy since you guys need more calories than we do.

Technically, you can eat whatever you like. Some very successful people on here eat ice cream or gelato on a regular basis because as long as it fits your calories/macros, it's all good. But if you prefer to go the healthy route, how about nuts, seeds, dried fruit (or put those three together with M&Ms for yummy trail mix), peanut butter with apple or carrots or banana, eggs, full fat yogurt or cottage cheese, avocado, cheese and fruit...

That's all I've got off the top of my head. Teh other option is bulking up meals by adding oils, sauces and some of the above ingredients. Skip the diet foods, you have plenty of calories and there's nothing wrong with full fat...unless, of course, you have a heart health issue. :)

I wish I could have peanut butter, everyone from here to weighlifting sites seem to love it as a convenient energy/protein booster, but my wife detests it so much she actually refuses to come through the door if she knows I've got a jar of it in the cupboard :laugh:

Nuts and seeds sound good, though - may give them a shot :)

EDIT:

When I say I don't log activity, I mean I simply have MFP set to lightly active, (So it calculates what I'd be expending anyway) and have it linked to accupedo to see if MFP's guess is right, and it usually is.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    nuts
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I like a boiled egg, or a yogurt (I know some people don't like yogurt). Some vegetable chips (actual vegetables, crisped in the oven) a salad wrap or similar. But I'll eat a bowl of ice-cream if it will fit in my calories.

You can also save those calories for a ones a week "nice" dinner. If there is a food you avoid because it's a little calorie dense you can use the calories you don't eat for one splurge meal.
  • Ahdillard
    Ahdillard Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Add a handful of nuts, they are high in calories but high in good stuff too! I use raw almonds and raw walnuts. I keep a little snack bag with me at all times!
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    When I find myself coming in with low numbers, I make an insanely awesome protein shake. I'm talking chocolate whey powder +banana +peanut butter +milk or vanilla whey powder +blueberries+ banana+ milk kind of deals. How far under I might be and how much protein I need to meet my goal for that day factor in, too, but those are my typical go-to shakes.

ETA: I also like vanilla ice cream + granola + dried fruit (you could always use yogurt, if you don't want to have ice cream!). There are plenty of nutrient dense foods out there: many different kinds of nuts, avocado, fruits, etc.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Aw, bummer about the peanut butter!

Good to know about your activity level. Just want to make sure you're fueling your body right so you lose the fat, not the muscle.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    If I had calories to burn I'd be eating CHEESE, nuts, sunflower seeds, olives, and maybe follow that up with some CHEESE! :smile:
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Trust your gut - coming in way under is bad, especially for a guy since you guys need more calories than we do.

Technically, you can eat whatever you like. Some very successful people on here eat ice cream or gelato on a regular basis because as long as it fits your calories/macros, it's all good. But if you prefer to go the healthy route, how about nuts, seeds, dried fruit (or put those three together with M&Ms for yummy trail mix), peanut butter with apple or carrots or banana, eggs, full fat yogurt or cottage cheese, avocado, cheese and fruit...

That's all I've got off the top of my head. Teh other option is bulking up meals by adding oils, sauces and some of the above ingredients. Skip the diet foods, you have plenty of calories and there's nothing wrong with full fat...unless, of course, you have a heart health issue. :)

I wish I could have peanut butter, everyone from here to weighlifting sites seem to love it as a convenient energy/protein booster, but my wife detests it so much she actually refuses to come through the door if she knows I've got a jar of it in the cupboard :laugh:

Nuts and seeds sound good, though - may give them a shot :)

EDIT:

When I say I don't log activity, I mean I simply have MFP set to lightly active, (So it calculates what I'd be expending anyway) and have it linked to accupedo to see if MFP's guess is right, and it usually is.

Why does she hate PB so much? lol... This makes me sad. PB is one of the best things on this earth.
  • ajnb88
    Options

Why does she hate PB so much? lol... This makes me sad. PB is one of the best things on this earth.

Pretty sure she had a bad experience with it as a kid - same with coconut, if I've had anything with coconut and we kiss, she basically retches immediately :laugh:
  • lisavgagne
    lisavgagne Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A slice of deli meat wrapped around a slice of cheese is a go to for me. That or peanut butter on a graham cracker.
  • roeroe5
    roeroe5 Posts: 27
    Options
    Yummy almond butter on ray crackers, even better than pb. Also like prunes and venison biltong (jerky).
    ...would die without oats cookies, Nuttikrust (my favo at 66cal for 3) :smile:
  • isberocks
    isberocks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favorite meals that I would eat as snacks if I needed more food:

Avocado toast

Green smoothie with various add ins: coconut oil, flax, cashews, chia seeds, etc.
    (here's a big list of recipes: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1372370-green-smoothie-recipes-please?hl=green+smoothie#posts-21070404)

Try expeller pressed coconut oil if you hate the taste of coconut :)
    And adding a scoop of chia seeds to everything will add up to a lot of healthy calories! But it might make you more full.