I work out, yet I'm "skinny fat?"

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Has anyone looked at the OP's pictures? I would say that you have a case of body dysmorphia and is not eating enough. I see no love handles or belly pouch. Only skin and bones.

In her profile she idetifies a history of disordered eating, which doesn't invalidate the advice; balanced programme of CV and resistance training is going to deliver effective results.

This- and let's keep the negative comments about her body to a minimum. (not you meanderingman- generically)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    20 is borderline underweight BMI. Please don't lose weight.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    1. You're not skinny fat - you sound like you have a normal fat distribution
    2. Eat a little less than maintenance calories
    3. Eat more protein
    4. Engage in some sort of progressive resistance training programme you like 2-3 times per week (doesn't have to be barbell / dumbell / lift heavy / strength training - could be kettle bells, body weight stuff if you prefer.)
    5. Relax
    6. Enjoy yourself.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    In this case, ditch the scale, eat, lift, and add about 15 lbs of muscle. You'll have the body you're looking for.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Has anyone looked at the OP's pictures? I would say that you have a case of body dysmorphia and is not eating enough. I see no love handles or belly pouch. Only skin and bones.

Good call. I wasn't even going to look at her photos.

To OP--You are extremely thin. You definitely do not need to be losing any additional weight!!

If you are looking for a more chisled looking physique then you actually need to increase your calories, eat a lower carb, higher protein, healthy lifestyle and you need to start on a heavy lifting routine. Cardio will burn calories but it does not get rid of the fat, it usually makes you lose muscle---hence the skinny fat syndrome people encounter. They lose the weight but they have lost more muscle then fat.

I would also consider professional advice as it does seem you have some body issues.
  • deabora
    deabora Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Really, take a look. US size is 4/6.
  • GinNJuice75
    GinNJuice75 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sadly this thread is me all over! Ugh most of my fat was always in my belly and chin. So even when i was down to 140lbs i was still a 10! And still have a bigger chin then i should have. I am trying to get to the 140lbs again and i will. It just makes me frustrated that i will always have to wear longer shirts then norm to cover up that saggy belly. Unless i get plastics and well i cant afford those :-(
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I've gained 10kg since then.
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, all useful stuff! I am 10kg heavier than in my profile pics, which I haven't updated because I hate the way I look now. I was concerned about strength training because I thought that it would maybe make that area look worse, as I need to be lean for the muscle to show, but I think strength training is the way to go. I did try to start blogilates and it was so hard, so it shows how out of shape I am!
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Your photos don't give a lot away, however at a glance I would say that it's doubtful what your seeing in the mirror is reflected accurately. I certainly would not recommend loosing more weight.
    Start lifting weights, gain some muscle and you'd be surprised what an amazing effect this could have on an untrained 'soft' physique

Edit - just seen the 'gained 10kg since' part. I do however stand by my lift weights suggestion. Also, update your pics :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    20 is borderline underweight BMI. Please don't lose weight.

20 isnt borderline underweight BMI.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, all useful stuff! I am 10kg heavier than in my profile pics, which I haven't updated because I hate the way I look now. I was concerned about strength training because I thought that it would maybe make that area look worse, as I need to be lean for the muscle to show, but I think strength training is the way to go. I did try to start blogilates and it was so hard, so it shows how out of shape I am!

blogilates is not strength training. Repeatedly squatting, bench pressing, deadlifting, overhead pressing and barbell rowing heavy weights that make you strain and turn red at least 3 days a week is strength training.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Going based off the honor system of your original post, 20 BMI and UK size 6-8 is a healthy weight, so don't focus on losing any more weight. Figure out your maintenance calories, eat them, lift weights and you will burn fat and maintain muscle. Most of all, be patient! The best of us have problem areas, especially around the waist, and your body will choose where it wants to lose fat.
  • peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    Options

This! Eat a bit more and lift heavy, and watch your body become strong and beautiful.
  • LilyMammoth
    LilyMammoth Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I bet that 10kg looks great! I would go with what people have been suggesting- don't lose more weight, just focus on eating more protein and gaining muscle.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    reduce cardio.
    lift stuff
    EAT MORE!