Restaurant Calorie Count

Options
Hello All!

I hope everyone is doing well!

Just wanted to share, one of the most frustrating things for me about counting calories is going out to eat with friends. It isn't because of the food, its because I don't know how much it will cost! (in calories that is) In my opinion this info should be far more accessible than it is.

Anyway, saw this article on CNN and thought I would share. Seems pretty interesting that many didn't use the caloric info.

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/18/customers-pay-little-heed-to-calories-on-menus/?hpt=C2

Replies

• BeTrue2Yourself
    BeTrue2Yourself Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There are lots of books, some small enough to carry with you, that have restaurant menus with nutritional information. Also, I have seen some pretty cool smartphone apps that you can download to your phone. Plan ahead...if you know you are meeting friends at certain place, research before you go. Hope that helps! :)
  • candycana
    candycana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great link! I for one would love to see calories posted, especially online so I can plan ahead. I rarely eat out, and when I do, I usually pig out. But now, well, I'm really committed to watching the caloric intake.
  • pete370
    Options
    Restaurants should be mandated by law to post their nutritional information on line.
  • pintade66
    Options
    if you have a smart phone especially an iPhone, there is tons of apps available for common restaurants.
  • qkiley
    qkiley Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks for the responses all! I do think it is a very interesting topic. It does make things easier having the cals available on our smart phones. I just think that some restaurants bury the info, if they post it at all, while Subway prints it on the napkins. I would have thought the info would have caused more of a reaction for the consumer. Guess not!
  • toxicbox
    Options
    Awsome! But what if the resurant is not included??? I went to dinner at Buca di Peppo and got the Penne Basilica and I can't seem to find the info anywhere...so how do I put that in my log??? I was thinking of just finding the highest calorie thing I can and putting that in... :)
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I take my iPod touch, there is a app for myfitnesspal on there, Add your meals from the menu as you choose.