Not Changing Clothes Sizes??

Options
I am just curious to see how much weight people lost before you had a change in clothes sizes? I started at a little over 200 lbs and a size 16 and am down 16 lbs and am still in a size 16. This seems absolutely crazy to me since the last time I was at 150 lbs I was in a size 10. THOUGHTS??

Replies

• geekishgirl
    geekishgirl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds so far and I'm still wearing the exact same pants. It's a litle frustrating however I have noticed that my pants fit me so much differently now! They actually fit me instead of being tight and having to lay on the bed to button them! I had apparently been wearing the wrong size pants for quite a while. I do wish that the size had changed by now but I am kind of glad that I haven't had to spend the money to replace them yet!

Don't get discouraged if sizes aren't changing yet. Try looking at how the clothes are actually fitting you. That's some of the best advice I was given and it was a huge help! I hope it helps you too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I was much much bigger than you, because I started at 307 lb and I was wedged into my size 22s. At 240-250 I STILL wore a 22, which was disappointing after losing around 50 lb!

However since then it's just gone faster and faster. For example, at 190 I wore a 14 and at 173 I'm in a 12 and sometimes a 10.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think it took me losing 20-25 pounds before my clothes were loose enough to need a smaller size in pants because
    1) They were getting a bit snug beore I started losing and
    2) I lost mostly in my upper body initially

Also, sizing changes all the time and differs from brand to brand so you really can't compare what size you were in at a certain weight before, even if it was in the last few years. Now, this goes back 15 years but for me, sizes used to just about line up with my weight. At 160, I wore a size 16. At 200, I wore a 20. But as I lost the weight, I found sizing was a lot different. I'm around 170 now and wear a size 12 or 14 depending on brand/cut.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40lbs, and I am down from a size 12/14 to a 4/6. I started losing sizes every 15 pounds or so, more frequently as I've gotten closer to my goal.

Were the clothes a bit on the tight side before you started to lose? Have you taken your measurements?
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It took about 35 pounds (from 280) to really need a smaller size - my clothes were better-fitting at 20 pounds down, and loose at 25. So I've lost nearly 50 pounds but have only lost one dress size, as wild as that sounds. I think it's at least partly because there's more wiggle room between larger dress sizes...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it took me 20+ pounds to lose my first size. I went from 18/16W to regular 16, if I remember right.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I started out at a size 14 and am currently an 8 (sometimes 10) after losing 35 pounds. I think I dropped from a 14 to a 10 around 20/25 pounds lost.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    At around 20 lbs down my medium exercise shorts started falling off of me and I had to replace them with smalls! I'm holding off until I buy fall pieces and then I might have to go down a size in jeans and bottoms too (not complaining)!!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Is it possible the same size is fitting you differently? I haven't changed sizes in awhile, but my pants fit more comfortably/looser (but not too lose) than before.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I went from 165 to 188 with the same clothes size (14), so wasn't surprised when I didn't go down a lot. It depends a lot how you're shaped. I'm very tall for a woman and have a thin waist, so if I bought the right clothes, my size didn't change as I got heavier.

Now that I'm at 148, I fit an 8, 10, or 12, depending on what I'm wearing and the manufacturer. And sometimes I wear my old 14s because they still look okay, although a bit baggy.

BTW - it's not just weight. I've been at the same weight for over a year but lost 4" on my waist and 2" on my hips. Muscle is a wonderful thing.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    For me it's been very non-linear. It took a good 25 lbs before I shifted down from 16 to 14, but then I skipped 12 pretty much, and with the next 30 lbs or so I've gone down to 4/6.

Also, as you get down to the smaller sizes, the differences between sizes are considerably smaller, so it feels you are getting "smaller" quicker (if that makes sense).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Last time I lost weight I dropped sizes like crazy. This time around not a single size down. It is so frustrating - last time I didn't exercise, ate a lot of fast food - did everything they say will make you stay flabby. This time I strength train, eat better, have lost more weight, but nothing size wise. I just like to think I'm saving a lot of money not buying new clothes.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I read this somewhere not too long ago that the sizing itself is not the same as it was a few years ago. I think it was in the context of having a size 000 instead of size 0. So take that for what it's worth.

Found the news link:

http://www.wbtw.com/story/25998221/j-crew-under-fire-for-new-size-000-for-womens-clothes
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's definitely way more space between larger sizes. It'll take a hell of a lot longer to get from an 18 to a 16 than it will from a 12 to a 10, if that makes sense.

I started at a 16/18 at 214, and I was squishing into 14/16 by around 195? I'm just into the 180s and a 14 proper, and I tried on a 12 last week and it wasn't the hilariously hopeless situation it once was.

I know it's easy to get caught up on the numbers, but try not to! They're SO subjective, and sizes mean something completely different from each individual distributor.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18 lb thus far since the beginning of my journey, and I too was frustrated that I haven't dropped in pant sizes. Although I must admit clothes do fit me better (less muffin tops!). Although my tops have gone from a large to a medium in most cases (OF COURSE my boobs went before my belly! :grumble: )
  • SusanGettingFit
    Options
    I am still wearing the same clothes despite having lost roughly 44 pounds. I must say, though, that they actually FIT my body now. I used to have really bad muffin top and actually hurt from being squeezed into my pants. Now they pull on easily, button and zip without torture, and I can breathe and be comfy in them. I am looking forward to going down a size and I think I will in the not-too-distant future. Keep on putting in your hard work. Rewards are happening every day.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    At 189 I was wearing a tight 14
    At 175 I could squeeeess into my 12's
    At 165 I fit in my 12's
    At 155.6 (today) I squeeeesed into one of my old 10's. I don't think all 10's fit yet, just this pair.

I still wear my 14's and 12's. They are just not so tight.
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm down about 13 pounds and while some things are too big, I'm properly fitting into the clothes I was being a sausage stuffed in just a month or so ago. The first time I dropped 50 lbs, I looked like it. the 2nd time I dropped it, I was toned but didn't go down as much in sizes. This time I'm doing both so I know it's going to be a bit slower. My goal is to be down to at least a 12 by Christmas as I'm wearing a 14 in some 16s in others and an xl or xxl top (when are these boobs going to shrink?) and a large/xl top. 21 weeks until the end of the year so even 1 lb/week will net me 21 less pounds on this body. It would be nice to get into my dress clothes by the new year.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    a few ideas:

- you might be losing weight in places not contained within those clothes
    - you may have been squeezing into a size that was too small to begin with (ie being able to get into a small tee when you really should be in a medium doesnt mean you wear a small)
    - the bigger you are, the more weight you have to lose between sizes. if you check the inch ranges you can see this because some sizes have like 2" difference while others have .5" or 1" between sizes
    -
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    It was 20-25 lbs before I had to size down anything. I've only gone down one jean size so far at 38 lbs lost. I've gone down one bra cup size and one band size.