Changing job to stop overeating

Options
Does this make sense or I am totally crazy? My current work environment is such that I have very easy access to free fatty food like cookies / ice-creams / cakes. For me its a constant battle to keep myself in check about not gobbling them up, and I have not been able to do that for years now. The sensible thing of course is to learn to control and not give in to those things. But given that I have not been able to do that for many years now, I am considering changing jobs so that I am in an environment where I am not constantly fighting the temptations. Is it crazy?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    yea, there is going to always be temptation. master fighting that instead of changing jobs since your new job could just as easily have the same or more temptations
  • lgadeke
    lgadeke Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it was crazy and if you are in a position where you can easily change jobs without it affecting your life in a huge way, then go for it. If you can get into a better situation motivation wise then that's great. I have recently started eating better and my work involves sitting in a van for a few hours with my colleague constantly taking out chocolate bars from his lunch box or cakes etc and offering them to me, it's a struggle to say no, but I do it. I however understand that it would be a lot better if that situation wasn't there in the first place because then it would make things a whole lot easier.

As I say, if you can change jobs easily and you feel it would help you a lot then it's not crazy at all, but if you are in a position where if coming out of the job just because of some tempting cakes actually affects you financially or what not, then that's bad.

Do what you need to do, I feel that it shows motivation that you want to get out of such situation to carry on with your healthy lifestyle, but then again whose to say the next job doesn't offer up some challenges?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I think it's a drastic change, but you know what's best for you. I don't know what type of environment you work in, but I can say that there will always be temptation no matter where you go. I have worked in many environments and there are always days where people are bringing in food, leftover food from meetings, breakfast provided, celebrations, not in the office and eating on the run, etc. Food is always around. My job requires client entertainment, which means I don't always get a choice of where I am eating. You just make it work. It's up to you to make the right decisions. You are capable of saying no if you like your job.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I'd change jobs for money, not because of my eating habits. Learn some discipline. :drinker:
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was in the same situation as I was transitioning from my contract position to my current position. I worked in a lab and my contract ended, then I went onto sales and marketing which was bs because it was a 12pm - 8:30pm job where I walked door to door soliciting and no food break (then I stopped at gas stations and fast foods because I was starving and would eat anything). I left that position to find my home back in lab and now I plan my meals out, pack it in my giant lunchbox and eat every 2-3 hours :)

You're not crazy :)
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'd change jobs for money, not because of my eating habits. Learn some discipline. :drinker:

THIS /\ /\
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you otherwise enjoy your job, you would be crazy to leave over free food. If you don't really enjoy the job in the first place, go find something better! I think you will find that you DO have the power to resist those urges. Occasionally you may get your sweet tooth fix, but that's normal and keeps good mental health when restricting food during a diet. If you plan to maintain your goal weight when you get there, overcoming obstacles like this is a big part of that. Battle the problem now, and maybe you stop craving sweets as much. Run away from that situation, and it's likely to pop up somewhere else in your life down the line.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a little crazy. It's going to an extreme extreme to not do what one has to do. You can't mold the world to fit your needs; well not all the time. This is a case where you have to find the strength to surpass.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    yea, there is going to always be temptation. master fighting that instead of changing jobs since your new job could just as easily have the same or more temptations

Agree with this.

I moved jobs several years ago. At my old job, a guy's wife would bake a cake every Friday for us. At my current job, one of the guys brings in donuts and kolaches every Friday. We also have a lady who bakes cakes/cookies/brownies/cinnamon rolls/holiday treats at least once a month. My new job presents more temptations than my old job. You could run into the same thing.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you otherwise enjoy your job, you would be crazy to leave over free food. If you don't really enjoy the job in the first place, go find something better! I think you will find that you DO have the power to resist those urges. Occasionally you may get your sweet tooth fix, but that's normal and keeps good mental health when restricting food during a diet. If you plan to maintain your goal weight when you get there, overcoming obstacles like this is a big part of that. Battle the problem now, and maybe you stop craving sweets as much. Run away from that situation, and it's likely to pop up somewhere else in your life down the line.

Excellent advice! I agree with this.
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I get it- I LOVE my Job and workplace but they eat like they have been rescued around here! It could be a freaking pass time.. but I had to learn to say no thanks and be proud of myself when I beat the odds!
  • NitroRoo
    Options
    How much working out do you do?

The reason I ask: is for me, I have found that when I work out regularly, and I mean real, hard working out - I am much more likely to skip the cookies and be better about my diet. I don't want to throw away all the hard work for just a few sweets. Especially when you see how hard it really is to burn 20 or 30 calories - and how long does it take you to eat 20 or 30 calories in cookies or ice cream... no time at all.

I'd agree with others, if you have other reasons to find a different job - go for it, but if the free food and temptation are one of your only problems, then you need to find a way to mentally force yourself to skip that stuff. You CAN find the willpower to do it, it just has to be worth it to you. There will always be temptation out there, so the best solution is to learn to control yourself. (as a former ice cream addict, I speak from experience). :)
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I guess I should add, one of the reasons for not being able to resist tempting food is because the job is quite stressful. Mid-day, I am all stressed, and I go for the cookies. End of the day I am definitely stressed and tired, so I am eating an ice-cream. So free food is not the only reason, but its a factor
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I guess I should add, one of the reasons for not being able to resist tempting food is because the job is quite stressful. Mid-day, I am all stressed, and I go for the cookies. End of the day I am definitely stressed and tired, so I am eating an ice-cream. So free food is not the only reason, but its a factor

learn how to not eat your emotions.

stress shouldn't equal food.

train your self discipline and you're "no" function. Just like anything else- it's a skill you can develop it and strengthen it. If you don't then you never get anywhere.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it was crazy and if you are in a position where you can easily change jobs without it affecting your life in a huge way, then go for it. If you can get into a better situation motivation wise then that's great.

This!!

If you're in a well paying career position and can't easily find a different job that fits your path, I would not recommend a change based on this criteria. I'd recommend counseling first, to see if maybe you really could change your psychological approach to the situation each work day...and maybe even a discussion with coworkers about changing the overall atmosphere (I wouldn't hold my breath about that going well of course).

But if you - for example - work part-time in a sweet shop earning a small wage, by ALL MEANS go elsewhere for employment.
  • oystercatcher3944
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds several years ago while working in a bakery where I could eat as many chocolate croissants, muffins, cookies, etc. etc. as I wanted. It was hard, but it taught me a LOT of discipline and willpower. I found that it helped to take the mindset that since all those treats were surrounding me all the time, there was no need to have one right this second - that they would always be there, and later, if I *really* wanted one, I could have one. By the time I made myself wait, the craving had disappeared.

Oh, and bring plenty of tasty, healthy food to work! If you know you are headed for a rough day and are likely to stress eat, better to stress eat cut up cucumber than ice cream...
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think it's crazy to upend your whole life because of office snacks. You can't guarantee that won't be the case at your next work environment.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think it's crazy to upend your whole life because of office snacks. You can't guarantee that won't be the case at your next work environment.

I agree with this too. I have worked in several offices and actually my current one is the best in this area, but I would have had NO way of knowing that without actually working there for awhile. Due to the small office full of people who like to eat unhealthy food, smoke, drink, etc, I'd imagine they would bring a lot of "bad" snacks in...but they don't at all. They really don't even eat on the clock, just go out regularly to restaurants on their lunch breaks.

Actually the WORST offender for me was an organization that assisted people with disabilities. They were always talking the talk about health, but would order in free lunches and custard for the entire staff regularly. Not to mention potlucks for every occasion known to man.

In contrast, I worked for a snack cake company (seriously) right after college and everyone was so used to seeing and smelling the treats that we hardly ever indulged even though they were free.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

^^This. You live in the US. You're surrounded by mountains of cheap food whenever you step foot into any remotely non-rural area, and you will be for the rest of your life. I don't mean to be rude, but deal with it.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Let me know if you find a job that your not stressed out midday. Id like to get that one...