If you grew up in the 70's...

Replies

• ...for 3 miles each way, with no shoes....
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    1) Jarts, we didn't need them. We had a bow and arrows instead. We also used to play "chicken" by tossing open pocket knives to stick in the ground between each others' feet to see who would chick out first.

2) Definitely . . . we never wore seat belts util it became the law. I, too, remember being in the back of the truck on the hiway and laying in the back window of the car on long trips. In '74, our parents bought a new family car (Ford Pinto Stationwagon). It was designed as a 2+2 (two in front buckets and two in back seat); but we had 6 in our family. My brother and I sat in the back area behind the back seat.

3) Unsafe playgrounds. Remember these too. The merry-go-round in our playground was the old kind that could break your legs off if you got them between the bars and the ground.

4) I only really remember the suntan oils to enhance and not really anything with a SPF rating.

5) We thought we were daredevils with bike ramps and running around the streets, fields, and woods on our bikes. Of course there were no helmets. Not even those with dirt bikes (motor cycles) and three-wheelers wore helmets.

6) Was not an issue. We lived in the country; so, being out alone was the norm.

7) No wimps allowed . . . we constantly had some sort of bruises, scratches, cuts, etc from doing things that no parent would dream of letting their kids do today. You learned from experience what not to do.

8) Nobody in my immediate family smoked, but it was not a big deal to be in the car or around others who did. Didn't think twice about 2nd hand smoke.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Yeah this stuff did continue on through the early 80's. I was born is 75, and I spent a great deal of my early years laying on the back dash of cars where the music was louder and I could see the sky. And I remember having a giant Plymouth where my little bro who was born in 81 would stand up in the seat while my mom was driving. We even still have some of that metal playground equipment at a couple of the parks where I live. Of course, I'm still all about #7 lol! My younger son who is now 12 had to get staples in his head a few years ago from playing red rover in the street, and my boys still stay out until dark without helmets or sun protection most of the time.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Haha! Funny. I recall how damn hot the playground slides, swings and bars would get in the sun, and those animal rocking swings. I used to love darts, and my brother actually accidentally inserted one into the back of his friend's head when they were playing. Ahh the 70's were great.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    You know who Tony Alva is without googling.
    Ahahaha! I was an avid skateboarder back in the 70's so guys like Alva, Peralta, Saladino, The Bones Brigade, etc., I would know by name.
    My board back in the day was a SIMS wide, with Tracker Trucks and OJ wheels.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Totally. When we would "go outside to play" we would be gone all day- by ourselves, no adult supervision. We had plenty of places within bike riding distance to play: baseball fields that were open to the public, 3 schools with playground equipment and basketball courts (and it wasn't trespassing to be there), the high school track, parks in addition to large sections of wooded area (that is now all subdivisions and shopping centers) where a kid could kill all kinds of time fishing, trapping, hiking, building forts etc.

Nowadays, if a kid is missing for a half-hour they call the police (and rightfully so!). I've seen kids sledding with helmets on.

The world sure has changed.
  • KylieAddison
    KylieAddison Posts: 6 Member
    ROFL Sounds like my dad. If I got in trouble at school. I caught it again at home. A lot to be said for fear of parental anger. Can't tell you how much trouble that fear kept me out of.
  • ninerbuff
    Don't forget about PUKA SHELL necklaces and BLACK RUBBER O RINGS worn as rings and bracelets!!! And my courdoroy sky blue super bell bottoms that I had to tuck into my sock when I rode my bike.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Some of my favorite toys growing up:

TONKA- These were actually made of metal instead of today's plastic versions.

BIG JIM with the Karate dojo- I was so inspired by Bruce Lee that this was a go to toy daily.

The SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN- Lol, I remember looking through the back of his head and the "bionic" vision.

ATARI 2600- Tank and Pong. Still classics.

DC heroes- All with removable clothing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member

2) Definitely . . . we never wore seat belts util it became the law. I, too, remember being in the back of the truck on the hiway and laying in the back window of the car on long trips. In '74, our parents bought a new family car (Ford Pinto Stationwagon). It was designed as a 2+2 (two in front buckets and two in back seat); but we had 6 in our family. My brother and I sat in the back area behind the back seat.

Oh man! I have no idea what kind of station wagon my mom had, but when I was 4-5 (in the early 80's) she had a small daycare center out of our house and she would take all the kids' older brothers/sisters (the school age kids) to school or the park/pool in the back of that thing. I remember there being 1 baby in a carseat and all of the other kids ranging from probably ages 3-12 literally piled on top of each other in the back without a second thought.
  • Some of my favorite toys growing up:

BIG JIM with the Karate dojo- I was so inspired by Bruce Lee that this was a go to toy daily.

The SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN- Lol, I remember looking through the back of his head and the "bionic" vision.

DC heroes- All with removable clothing.

IDEA Fitness member

Hmmm... Things were differerent in the US then. Anyone from G.B that I can relate to? :smile:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    We also played red rover, red rover (outlawed today) and there was no bulling or political correctness. A large dirt pile behind elementary school turn into at every recess from "King of the Hill" to "Smear the Queer" All the teachers laughed and called it that too. lol
    Whaaaaa?? Outlawed, when did this happen? Sheesh that was such a fun game and everyone could play.

I'm not familiar with the King of the Hill game as I don't watch the show... yea I could see how that might be dropped from playing.

But what's wrong with red rover? :sad:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    ...for 3 miles each way, with no shoes....
    backwards!:laugh:
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Jarts were my favorite!!!

and who could forget HR Pufnstuf and Witchy-Poo!!!
  • laura2813
    laura2813 Posts: 84 Member
    Some of my favorite toys growing up:

I still have my Tonka truck (Blue-1969 hydrolic dump truck). I had the Six Million Dollar Man doll cause I played with the bionic woman and had to have them togeher. We thought we were uptown when we got our Atari game and could play Pong (I need to go look as my parents may still have that thing).
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Jarts! Just last week I was looking online for some vintage ones...extremely hard to find and they can be expensive. I have fond memories playing Jarts at my grandparent's house with my family when I was young.
  • ninerbuff
    Also remembering the HUGE *kitten* VCR players, my "disco box" (record player with blinking lights on top and big speaker on the bottom used at GARAGE DANCES), my mom's "Harvest Gold" shag wall to wall carpeting, and doing the "Presidential Fitness test" each year for PE.

IDEA Fitness member
  • laura2813
    We would leave the house early in the morning and I wasn't expected to be home except to grab a bite to eat (sometimes we didn't even come home for that if our friends moms gave us something). My parents didn't know where we were at all times and there wasn't any concern unless we didn't show up when it got dark. We traveled in almost every state in the US and never wore a seat belt. We drank from a garden hose all day long and never got sick. I wrecked bikes, skates and skateboards and lived through it all without ever wearing a helment. We rode out bikes about 3 miles to the country club so we could swim and then sat out to tan on the roof of the pump house which was painted silver. We didn't know what sunscreen was but knew what baby oil with iodine mixed in would give us... a nice tan. We threw dirt clods at each other, blazed trails through the woods, jumped on bare back horses and swam in the horse troth when it got cleaned. I stayed home by myself sometimes and by 16 my parents would sometimes leave town to visit relatives and leave me home by myself. I miss the good ole days when you could run free and it wasn't a crime. Kids today are missing out and I think their parents are too.
  • laura2813
    I remember listening to the Top 10 on the radio and having my recorder next to the speaker so I could record the music. How many had and 8 track player?
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    I remember listening to the Top 10 on the radio and having my recorder next to the speaker so I could record the music. How many had and 8 track player?

HAD?...Still do. :bigsmile:

070cf438-b11c-4cc2-8ede-b6f369fa5fae_zpseeaf177e.png~original