Weigh in on my calorie setting?

Options
Hello all-

I have been logging food and exercise for about a month, and am hoping some experienced individuals can confirm I am on the right track. There is a lot of good information out there, but I would appreciate some reassurance that I am setting myself up for success.

Stats: 32 yo, 5'8, 188 lbs, initial goal is to lose about 40lbs (BMR=1613 TDEE=1936 * exercise is not figured into that calc, but I burn an avg of 1100 calories weekly with cardio workouts). My daily calorie goal is at 1510 currently (MFP recommended). I was at 1200 for the first 3 weeks or so, but I have since adjusted my weekly weight lose goal from 2 lbs/week to 1lb/week (I did 'ok' on 1200, but I wanted to be at a level that was more sustainable for me in the long run). I work out approx. 3-4 times per week (avg. burn of 300 cal per workout). I do try to eat back at least 50% of my workout burns, but sometimes I don't so I can conpensate for when I go over my calories. During the week I normally reach my calorie goal, or fall a little under, but on the weekends I typically go over, but normally end up under my weekly goal.
Since I have been doing 1510 cal daily (only for a week), I feel much less restricted (obviously) than with the 1200 cal goal. Again, I want a sustainable food program for the long haul, and not just one that will take off the lbs quickly. However, since I have not been hungry, my backwards thinking is telling me that I am eating too much, like, it has to hurt if I want to make progress! Based on my stats and goals, is my calorie goal too high? Should I figure in a larger deficit? Overall, I would like to eat as much and as healthfully as I can, but still make steady progress towards my end goal.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/opinions!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. Aiming for a less restrictive calorie intake goal opens this up to being something easier to maintain for the long haul.

Since you are aiming for 500/deficit per day but still have 40+ pounds to lose, I'd say to eat extra for exercise as you see fit. If you are full and satisfied on 1500, then don't worry about it. Some days you'll want/need it - some days you won't. And even taking a day here or there to eat at maintenance (an extra 500 calories goes a long way) can be good. More for your mental health than anything else.

In time you will want to reevaluate. But for now: just keep at it.
  • tbarsotti919
    tbarsotti919 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So agree on your reference to the mental health aspect of it. That was a big part of my decision to up my calorie goal. "Feeling" restricted would lead me to being discouraged. I also noticed I could go the whole week with a daily 1200, but then I would go overboard on the weekend. I don't want to sabatoge myself!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It looks fine. How fast you lose and how you feel should be more informative to you than absolute numbers, though. Most of us lose at 1500 and at 1200, it's just a matter of if you prefer more speed or more satiety. If you're not losing at all on 1500, you're probably eating a lot more than you catch in your logging.

Good luck!
  • tbarsotti919
    Options
    That all makes sense. Initally I was wanting "speed", but I do want a sustainable eating/exercise plan, which is why I decided to adjust my goal to 1lb/week. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think it looks good. I like to eat as much as I can while losing weight, even if it means that the weight loss is slower. Long term, I just can't get into the "must feel hungry" thing. I eat 1800+ while still losing and do not normally feel hungrier than "oh, it's time for supper." If I have a week where I start having cravings and feeling hungry all the time, I take a week break to eat at maintenance and then it's back to a deficit the next week.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe in eating when/if hungry. Of course there are times we aren't really hungry. Have heard to first try drinking some water, and that may help the cues. Truthfully though there are some days when I feel that I need more. Often the day after a highly active day.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would up your protein to reduce the amount of lean body mass lost, when your body is in a deficit it is nearly impossible to maintain lean body mass and strength. It obviously doesn't just fall off, but the lower your lean mass the lower your basal metabolic rate. BCAA's do help with maintaining (this is my opinion and through experience, however controversial), but I would up your protein to around 100, assuming your lean body mass at 0% fat is 115 pounds, the absolute minimum I would go is 92 grams of protein @ .8 grams per lb of lean body mass. Your fats look fine for cutting.
  • tbarsotti919
    Options
    I would up your protein to reduce the amount of lean body mass lost, when your body is in a deficit it is nearly impossible to maintain lean body mass and strength. It obviously doesn't just fall off, but the lower your lean mass the lower your basal metabolic rate. BCAA's do help with maintaining (this is my opinion and through experience, however controversial), but I would up your protein to around 100, assuming your lean body mass at 0% fat is 115 pounds, the absolute minimum I would go is 92 grams of protein @ .8 grams per lb of lean body mass. Your fats look fine for cutting.

Thanks that is good advice; I will do that. I had upped it when I was at 1200 because I found I would be over my limit come lunch time every day, and I want meat for dinner!! LOL
  • tbarsotti919
    Options
    I think it looks good. I like to eat as much as I can while losing weight, even if it means that the weight loss is slower. Long term, I just can't get into the "must feel hungry" thing. I eat 1800+ while still losing and do not normally feel hungrier than "oh, it's time for supper." If I have a week where I start having cravings and feeling hungry all the time, I take a week break to eat at maintenance and then it's back to a deficit the next week.

I like your suggestion regarding taking a break to eat at maintenance. I may decide to employ that in the future....