Multivitamins making me sick?

Options
I've been taking multivitamins (one a day for women) and I've been feeling a little sick my stomach hurts when I eat I feel nauseous and a bit dizzy.. I feel constantly full and bloated so I'm finding it hard to eat.. I'm not sure if it's the multivitamin or if it's coincidence I was just wondering if anybody had the same experience, or know why it's happening?

I eat something when I take them like it says on the bottle.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Do those have a lot of iron in them? I had that sort of trouble with an iron supplement once. I stopped taking it. Check the label. Maybe just increasing your water consumption with the vitamin would help.
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Take them at night before you go to bed.
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Be sure you eat something at least half an hour before you take the vitamin. I used to take them on an empty stomach or if I had just eaten and they wreaked havoc on me!

If you are definitely not taking them on an empty stomach, you should try something new or see a doctor.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It's the multi-vitamin. Those have so many fillers in them. I used to take those and it didn't matter if I took them with food I still felt like I was going to vomit ten minutes later.

You should really go to a health food store and buy a good multi-vitamin with no fillers in them. They will be a bit more expensive but they won't turn your stomach.
  • mshurricane09
    mshurricane09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You really should be taking them with a meal. Some vitamins are fat-soluble, and some are water soluble. If you don't have low iron I'd skip out on the "women's" vitamin and just get a generic one.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It might just be the vitamins pushing out the toxins
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Most multis make me nauseous - iron and I think calcium are particularly hard on the stomach, there might be others. Even half-dose ones I have to take with a full meal, not just a piece of toast or something.

You can try testing other brands as well. The store brand half-pills were not as bad as One a Day for side effects, for me anyway.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Take them at night before you go to bed.

This has worked for me too. Lately I take mine AFTER breakfast so I have a little food on my stomach beforehand and that works too.
  • Allisonfitness99
    Allisonfitness99 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I do eat with them.. And I also have low iron...
    But I feel sick all day not just after I take them I'm not sure before I sleep would do anything.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I had same problem, switched to kid's chewy gummy bear vitamins. No more problems. Some of the stuff in the pill can burn your stomach lining when it sits in your stomach. Chewing it up and taking with food eliminates that.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    make sure you take them with something to eat. i used to get so nauseous driving to work after taking a multivitamin on an empty stomach.
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I had same problem, switched to kid's chewy gummy bear vitamins.

^^^^
    OR THIS
    They are delicious!! :bigsmile:
  • arwFTW
    arwFTW Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Ha...there's no such thing...
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Yes. Exactly.

It's even more efficient when the vitamins are raw organic vegan.
  • MsBetteDavis
    MsBetteDavis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This hasn't happened with a multivitamin as I don't take those (I can't because I have haemochromatosis, which causes my body to absorb more iron than it should so I can't take them), but it did happen when I tried to take acidophilus.