Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Poll: Vacations from Work!

kshadows
kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
Should you have to remind your boss that you will be on vacation, even if they are the one who approved the request?

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I always remind him at our weekly tag up. I also send an email out to our managers so they are aware about a week before I go. Then they email me while I'm on vacation and say "I know you are on vacation but ...." LOL
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    I do, doesn't hurt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    ALWAYS cover your bases. Send an email as proof. The very worst that could happen is a reply of "How many times are you going to tell me?".

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    I do. And as the manager of 72 employees I cannot remember when everyone is on vacation even though I approve it.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    I always give a courtesy reminder
  • I am an assistant to 3 lenders so I always send them an email and CC our boss in it just as a reminder. It never hurts.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    I always remind my boss the week before I go. She has enough other irons in the fire that MY vacation isn't going to be at the top of her consideration list (even if it is on the division calendar.)
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    i put my vacation time in my boss' calendar. that should suffice.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Case and point: I need to do part of my job before I leave for vacation today. I need boss's approval to run it. I've e-mailed twice and gotten no response. Ugh.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I remind my supervisor, the loan officers I support and the two other lending assistants several times in my last week of work before vacation. No surprises then and no one has the right to say "Ididn't know you wouldn't be here to do . . . next week!". Makes my life easier, so I do it for me rather than them.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Case and point: I need to do part of my job before I leave for vacation today. I need boss's approval to run it. I've e-mailed twice and gotten no response. Ugh.

Go to their office, call their office?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I don't think you SHOULD have to...but I usually do, because every boss I've had needed the reminder.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member

Go to their office, call their office?

That's what I was going to recommend as well. Can you see your boss' calendar? Maybe they've been in meetings all morning? Is there someone that can follow up for you while you're on vacation?
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Leave a note on their computer keyboard and a message on their cellphone. Then just leave cuz you've earned your vacation and you're damn well gonna take it!

I like to talk to my boss as if I'm going to be there next week and then when I don't show up I'll send him pictures of my feet in the sand...he always appreciates it. :devil:
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    yes, it would be unprofessional not to. In fact, not only should you remind him/her, you should present the boss with your coverage plan as part of the reminder.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    I remind a week and then 2 days before (so I can get holiday pay sorted etc).

Everybody forgets now and again so reminders are helpful!.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Yes, but do it at the end of the day, just before you leave, so they cant throw a bunch of work at you.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    I'll send out an email reminder a day or two before holidays to my manager, the receptionist and whoever is covering my tasks while I'm away. I know I can't remember when everyone is away, and I wouldn't expect my manager to always remember (even if they approved it)
  • joandue
    joandue Posts: 84 Member
    I always send out a reminder to the area I work in, letting everyone know I"m gone. I think its just nice to know when someone isn't here.
  • My work has a vacation board right up by the bosses desk, he will still forget you are on vacation if you don't remind him the day before. Hell.. he forgot he was on vacation the last time he took one!