Metformin for weight loss?

Options
Hi, I'm fairly new here. I recently started a program through my doctor called WeCare, it's a medically supervised weight loss program. I've been on it since July 16th and have lost 10+ lbs. They took some blood tests and it came back that I have high insulin levels or "insulin resistance" according to my doctor. She mentioned Metformin for treatment of this. I have a Factor V Leiden blood clotting problem and therefore cannot usually take hormonal medications such as birth control. I consulted with my Hemotologist about the drug and they said I'd be fine. I'm also meeting with my Ob/Gyn next week about it.

My purpose of this post is to see if anyone else has taken this for weight loss purposes and treatment of high insulin levels/insulin resistance? I see it on the web as mostly a fertility treatment for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom, which I haven't been diagnosed with yet.

If you have taken it for any reason, did you lose weight? was it beneficial or did it cause problems?

Thanks,
Melissa

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Metformin is a diabetes drug, not a weight loss drug.

Exercise and getting to a healthy weight usually clears up insulin issues.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's not for weight loss or for fertility. It's for regulating insulin. You still have to eat below your calorie goal and exercise to lose weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I took it for PCOS related issues. It suppresses your appetite somewhat so, yes, it can help you lose weight simply because you will not be as hungry. My only caution for you is that it can have unpleasant gastrointestinal side effects for the first few days or first week. After that, no problems.
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    I take Metformin and my ovaries are fine ;)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm fairly new here. I recently started a program through my doctor called WeCare, it's a medically supervised weight loss program. I've been on it since July 16th and have lost 10+ lbs. They took some blood tests and it came back that I have high insulin levels or "insulin resistance" according to my doctor. She mentioned Metformin for treatment of this. I have a Factor V Leiden blood clotting problem and therefore cannot usually take hormonal medications such as birth control. I consulted with my Hemotologist about the drug and they said I'd be fine. I'm also meeting with my Ob/Gyn next week about it.

My purpose of this post is to see if anyone else has taken this for weight loss purposes and treatment of high insulin levels/insulin resistance? I see it on the web as mostly a fertility treatment for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom, which I haven't been diagnosed with yet.

If you have taken it for any reason, did you lose weight? was it beneficial or did it cause problems?

Thanks,
    Melissa

It's normally prescribed to help keep blood sugar levels in check. That's what I'm on it for. It's never helped me in the weight loss department, that came naturally with lowered blood sugars & a calorie deficit :wink:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    And yes, it is used for fertility issues. Specifically, it is used to help start ovulation through the lowering of insulin.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I take Metformin and my ovaries are fine ;)

I am sure you have lovely ovaries
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Metformin has very strong side effects. Even diabetics don't like to take Metformin, so I would definetly not take it if not required.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed it for diabetes but it can affect your kidney function so make sure your doctor does regular follow up tests. My EGFR dropped 20 points in 3 weeks so I had to go off it and start glipizide instead. My kidneys and liver are functioning perfectly now.

ETA: I just noticed that my ticker looks like I have a fly on my nose.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I've taken it and I did lose weight that being said I lost weight because it makes me too nauseous to eat anything. And I can control my blood sugar just as well without it by cutting out sugary drinks and cutting back on the Reese's cups.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

This.
  • meliapple
    meliapple Posts: 5 Member
    Options

This.

I understand this. However it was recommended to me. Like I said, I will be double checking with multiple doctors to verify if I should bother taking it.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Metformin can be very helpful for weight loss because it is known to cause severe bouts of constant diarrhea. It is a drug for diabetes and is very harmful to your kidneys. Take it if you must for control of diabetes (or "insulin resistance"), but get your weight under control through diet and exercise and get rid of that drug.
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed insulin resistant in Feb. and am treating it with a proper diet (no simple carbs) and exercise.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I took it for PCOS related issues. It suppresses your appetite somewhat so, yes, it can help you lose weight simply because you will not be as hungry. My only caution for you is that it can have unpleasant gastrointestinal side effects for the first few days or first week. After that, no problems.

This. I was also prescribed metformin for insulin resistance (I was trying to get PG). I did lose weight - I was so sick from the metformin I didn't have an appetite and when I did eat, I felt sick or had GI issues. I haven't taken it since.

It is tempting to be offered a drug to help you lose weight - but it is no magic pill and if a doctor suggested I take it again I would explore other alternatives first since I had such an unpleasant experience.

I wanted to add, that the weightloss I experienced was not significant (maybe 15 pounds, I was 230 at the time) and definitely not worth it me from a weightloss perspective. I can't remember how long I was on it, maybe 3 months?
    Teresa
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Have they done a Glucose Tolerance test yet? I wasn't aware that insulin resistance was usually diagnosed through insulin levels.

Metformin CAN lead to weight loss, but it is usually not very much and the weight loss effect wears off after a while as you get used to the drug.

Exercise and diet are the best treatments for both insulin resistance AND being overweight. Don't rush into the drugs if you don't need them!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I have a insulin level of 76 when the normal range is 0-25.

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and hypoglycemia last year and prescribed Metformin. I took 1000 mg of the regular version and it worked wonderfully. I was no longer having to eat every hour to keep my blood sugar up. However, after a couple months I began experiencing very bad diarrhea and nausea after taking the medication. I switched to the extended release version and have had no problems. I do not feel it is as strong as the regular version so some have to take a higher dose on the ER in order to get any benefit.

*Note: Diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea are common side effects of Metformin although they typically go away after 1-2 weeks.*

Losing weight with insulin resistance is very difficult. Most are unsuccessful losing weight without a medication (although it really depends on how bad your IR is). For some, Metformin helps them lose weight. For others (like me), it hasn't helped me lose weight at all.

When insulin resistance is left untreated, it can turn into diabetes. So either way, you are going to need to change your diet drastically whether you take Metformin or not.
  • jchurch9
    jchurch9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was on Metformin 2 yrs ago for insulin resistance. I had to stop taking it after 2 months, I had horrible gastrointestinal issues from it. I lost 12 lbs on it, i'm sure it was because of the constant GI problems. After I stopped, I gained the 12 back plus 8 more lbs. I finally realized that as much as I hate to admit it... diet and exercise are the only true way to get healthy, it will never come from a pill.
  • meliapple
    meliapple Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly concerned because (TMI) I have had other symptoms related to PCOS so I wanted to consult my Ob/Gyn about it.

I'm not so much concerned about the weight loss as I am about whether or not it's worth the side effects to treat the problem at hand.

She also mentioned that my thyroid level is slightly elevated but that's a lifetime commitment and I don't know if I'm ready for that, or if it's worth it.
  • sarahbai1
    Options
    My sister has PCOS therefore some of the insulin issues as well, though she is not a diabetic. She could give a better medical explanation than me because she has taken metformin and is a Physicians Assistant. But to vaguely answer your question, by controlling your insulin level, metformin will also possible cause weight loss and/or help you maintain your weight. She felt significantly better when taking metformin and i believed lost weight. she also watched her diet closely and exercised. The metformin did balance something out in her body. I wouldn't take it specifically for weight loss, but if you have the symptoms of PCOS which I am sure you researched it should make you feel better and healthier.