toned legs

Options
so i have always had flabby horrible legs most of the women in family do and now im losing weight i am working hard to tone them up i have been running for three weeks and im away this week so i have switched to stationary bike and will go back to running when i go home i am tending to do 30mins each time running i can manage 5km and on the bike i am averaging 15km so it maybe too silly a question but im wondering when will i notice a difference in my legs when will they start to have some shape and when will the cellulite and flab start to come off

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Weights are your best bet for getting rid of the cellulite.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A) Yes, weights are your friend.

B) You can't spot reduce. You'll notice as you drop body fat overall. Just doing leg exercises doesn't make the fat leave that particular area first.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Most people will only gain shape with weights. The people I know that only run and don't do weight.....have bird legs.
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    oh damn never an easy answer is it :( im not sure im ready for weights yet once i hit target weight i will have to look at weights as a way to tighten everything thanks for advice everyone
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Don't wait until you get to your target weight! I ran exclusively for many years, and I really regret not lifting weights until about 5 years ago.
  • dd4238
    dd4238 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    oh damn never an easy answer is it :( im not sure im ready for weights yet once i hit target weight i will have to look at weights as a way to tighten everything thanks for advice everyone

Squats and lunges are the legs best friends.
  • sam1053
    sam1053 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You need to start lifting weights. Cardio is excellent, it will burn calories and make your heart stronger, but you can't get toned until you do some strength training.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Take an adult ballet class. You might really enjoy it and Dancer (even ex dancers who are now fat) have the best legs ;)
  • sam1053
    sam1053 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I know I probably sound like a broken record, but weights will help you to lose weight. Muscle burns calories/fat, the more muscle you have the more efficient your body becomes.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

That's normally the most in-efficient way to go. You should be lifting now, maintaining muscle mass, as you eat in your caloric deficit. As we eat in a deficit we lose water, fat, and lean body mass. By lifting in that deficit we maintain as much of that LBM as we can, thus losing mostly water and fat, and creating muscle definition by lowering the bf% and stripping the fat from the maintained muscle.

The scale is a poor indicator of success the closer you get to "goal" weight. The mirror and tape should do that.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

If you want to tighten up the look of your legs you need to build muscle to do so.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Most people will only gain shape with weights. The people I know that only run and don't do weight.....have bird legs.

:ohwell:

How many weight lifters struggle to increase their leg size? A lot, because leg size is largely determined by genetics. I have known runners with muscular legs and weight lifters with bird legs.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My legs started looking really nice with running. They started looking even better when I began squatting.