Eating healthy under short budget...?

Options
Well, long story short, right now, I don't have a big budget for food and I'm trying to eat healthier.

In my area, healthy things cost a bit more than junk, which makes absolutely no sense to me :/

Any ideas?

Replies

• bykowskia
    bykowskia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    From my experience, processed food is more expensive. If you can avoid processed food your grocery bill will lower. If you shop the perimeter of the store you may have better luck with a lower bill. As well, there are many staples which are very inexpensive such as rice (brown or jasmine) and beans (chickpeas, black eyes peas, etc). You can buy them in bulk and because they are lower on the food chain (i.e. not from animals) the inputs are less and therefore you spend less money on them. I slowly shifted away from processed foods (one... they are not as healthy, and two they are more expensive) I found that my grocery bill lowered significantly by decreasing to 30% less per month. There is no silver bullet on this one but try to shop the perimeter of the store and see how it goes.
  • savouryduck
    savouryduck Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I make all my food from 'raw' ingredients and buy very little processed & packaged meals. If you cook in bulk and freeze into meal sized portions your food bill will soon come down.