What, exactly, is a "cup of water" RE: food diary logging?

Is it a literal measuring cup cup (1C)? Is it a glass (12-16 oz.)?

Also, I add water to my protein shakes. Should I count that in as well?

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    8 oz of water...
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    1 cup = eight fluid ounces of water.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    8 oz of water...

Bingo.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    I only count actual plain water. I don't count my green tea or coffee or crystal light, etc. I log them in my beverages heading, but not as water.
  • andythecurefan
    andythecurefan Posts: 43 Member
    I have 16 oz plastic cups at my desk at work. I fill these up with water and count them as 2 cups. 1 cup = 8 oz.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    I only count actual plain water. I don't count my green tea or coffee or crystal light, etc. I log them in my beverages heading, but not as water.
    why?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

Why? If I add crystal light does the water magically disappear and stop being water?
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    why?
    because it's not the right kind of water
    original.0
    \m/
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

I'm the same way. I just log plain water as water and then log the other stuff in my diary. (And no, not because I think it stops being water at that point.)

I know that if I have 2 sodas, 4 cups of water, 2 cups of milk, etc - that all counts toward hydration. I just log things as they are, is all.

ETA: In other words - I don't see the point of double logging a 16 oz soda and then putting it as 2 cups of water too. For my logging purposes, water is just literally water. It's just saving me from logging individual cups per "meal" area.
  • andythecurefan
    andythecurefan Posts: 43 Member
    why?
    original.0
    \m/

THIS.

Honestly, people could do what they want, but why cheat yourself out of plain water? I know soda has water, coffee does too, but I don't log those as water either.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    why?
    original.0
    \m/

THIS.

Honestly, people could do what they want, but why cheat yourself out of plain water? I know soda has water, coffee does too, but I don't log those as water either.
    why?
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Yea, I can understand it for coffee and soda (not logging as water, due to sugar/cream/etc and the diuretic effect - hence needing more water to offset it) but I'd imagine sugar-free calorie-free drink mix is still *closer* to water than some other drinks. I dunno.

I make it a rule to drink at least 6 12-16 oz glasses of plain water, then let myself have other beverages and log them separately. I drink Mio here and there for flavor and still would log that as water in most cases, especially if I already hit my water quota for the day anyway.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    why?
    original.0
    \m/

THIS.

why?

I get extremely dehydrated when I don't drink actual water. I had 3 coffees, 2 sugar free monsters and 3 cups of water today. That's a pretty typical day for me, I will probably have 2 diet cokes when I get home, and then get horrible toe cramps due to dehydration around 9 PM, then I will chug 2 cups of water and they will stop.

Only water hydrates me. Some people can drink nothing but coffee and count it as water and be fine, but I'm not one of those people. *shrug*

ETA: I don't dislike water or anything, just love getting amped up on caffeine. You think I would learn my lesson and just drink more water, but I obviously don't :blushing:
  • PikaKnight
    why?
    original.0
    \m/

THIS.

why?

I get extremely dehydrated when I don't drink actual water. I had 3 coffees, 2 sugar free monsters and 3 cups of water today. That's a pretty typical day for me, I will probably have 2 diet cokes when I get home, and then get horrible toe cramps due to dehydration around 9 PM, then I will chug 2 cups of water and they will stop.

Only water hydrates me. Some people can drink nothing but coffee and count it as water and be fine, but I'm not one of those people. *shrug*

So...the coffee and sodas don't absorb into your body????
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member

Why? If I add crystal light does the water magically disappear and stop being water?

Exactly. You also get water from the foods you eat. Don't overthink it, OP. Just drink until your pee looks like watered down lemonade.

Edited because spelling is hard today.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Here we go.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    why?
    original.0
    \m/

THIS.

why?

Dunno broski, I just told you word for word what happens when I drink more coffee/soda than water. It doesn't happen when I drink 7 glasses of water and less coffee. Guess I'm a unicorn.
  • PikaKnight
    why?
    original.0
    \m/

THIS.

why?

Dunno broski, I just told you word for word what happens when I drink more coffee/soda than water. It doesn't happen when I drink 7 glasses of water and less coffee. Guess I'm a unicorn.

Broski? Wow. It was a legit question and it's not unicorn..it's snowflake. Best of luck to you and your crampy toe issues.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    1 cup = 8 oz
    If you drink from a bigger glass then you should log appropriately. 2 glasses of 12 oz = 3 cups, 2 glasses of 16 oz = 4 cups.
    Yes, you should count the water that you add to your protein shakes. But also log the protein shake to your diary.