where do 40 year old women shop for clothes?

Options
Hi all. I like to browse clothing websites for inspiration, and motivation, but most of the clothes I see on websites are too young for me. Any ideas, women? Just keeps me motivated.

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What about Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, The Limited, Macy's, or Nordstrom. I'm in my 30's but I have shopped at these stores in my 20's and will for the rest of my life. They carry classic designs that really don't go out of style and work for all ages. When you do actually want to shop, most have great sales too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    What about Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, The Limited, Macy's, or Nordstrom. I'm in my 30's but I have shopped at these stores in my 20's and will for the rest of my life. They carry classic designs that really don't go out of style and work for all ages. When you do actually want to shop, most have great sales too.

All of these. I love LOFT the most right now. I think a lot of NY&CO have gone out of business, at least in my area, but I recently hit their outlet store nearby and liked some of their stuff too.

OP, I don't know if this interests you at all but I have had a lot of fun with Pinterest when it comes to clothes/style...I created a couple of fashion boards to help me rejuvenate my personal style since I am replacing all of my clothes over and over the past couple of years. I am 37, and I do wind up buying some juniors/younger stuff that goes with classic and more mature pieces to mix it up. I'd never spend my time scouring through all of the juniors stores/websites like Charlotte Russe, Pac Sun, Deb, etc...but if I find just the right thing on Pinterest and it comes from a juniors line for a good price, I'm all about it.

Good luck!
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options

All of these. I love LOFT the most right now. I think a lot of NY&CO have gone out of business, at least in my area, but I recently hit their outlet store nearby and liked some of their stuff too.

OP, I don't know if this interests you at all but I have had a lot of fun with Pinterest when it comes to clothes/style...I created a couple of fashion boards to help me rejuvenate my personal style since I am replacing all of my clothes over and over the past couple of years. I am 37, and I do wind up buying some juniors/younger stuff that goes with classic and more mature pieces to mix it up. I'd never spend my time scouring through all of the juniors stores/websites like Charlotte Russe, Pac Sun, Deb, etc...but if I find just the right thing on Pinterest and it comes from a juniors line for a good price, I'm all about it.

Good luck!

OMG best store EVER IS CHICOS!! I am 45 and me and my mom find the nicest clothes their... so comfortable...
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I like to browse clothing websites for inspiration, and motivation, but most of the clothes I see on websites are too young for me. Any ideas, women? Just keeps me motivated.

CHICOS!!! my favorite store.. me and my mom shop together now.. I am 45 and she is 65 and we always find nice things
  • Denisebar
    Denisebar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am in Canada but I try to do most of my shopping in USA. I love chicos,j Jill, Loft,Dillards,Nordies,and so many more! You really have the best shopping. A brand I love that I find timeless is Eileen Fisher.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In addition to the stores already mentioned, I really like TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I'm in my 30's and find nice things in both the junionr's and misses sections. I also love Nortstom Rack if you've got one nearby.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    I shop Macy's, Nordstrom and The Rack, J.Jill (well, used to. Loved J.Jill until they changed direction, but still...), Chico's, Lucky, Kohl's on occasion but hard for taller girls cuz they don't use enough material on the shirt length! And love, love, love shopping at T.J. Maxx and Marshall's for unexpected items. Also, I still pop into the younger stores like H&M and Old Navy to get jewelry, scarves, headbands and the occasional tee. Age is just a number. Sure, I'm not going to dance around in girl's cut offs and cropped tanks, but that was never me anyhow. Some women in their 60s would look hot doing it. :blushing:

ETA: Oh...Fitness! Title Nine, Eddie Bauer, Athleta, Sports Authority and, hey, Wal-Mart. Gotta love Wal-Marts prices on work-out clothing.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I love winners, Marshalls, and old navy. I am looking forward to the day I can shop anywhere I want.
  • loral15
    loral15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love White House Black Market, but too often it's out of my budget :(
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    White House Black Market for sure!! Same company that owns Boston Proper and Chicos. They are designed (loosely) for three different age demographics - Boston proper for the 25-35, WHBM for the 35+ and Chicos for the 45+.

You are probably safest in the WHBM store. Chicos and Boston Proper can age you in the wrong direction (up or down).
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I am in my (gasp...mid-)40s and do most of my shopping at Banana Republic, Loft, and J.Crew. I buy casual basics (and workout gear) at Target, Gap and Old Navy; and find dressier pieces at Ann Taylor and WHBM. I occasionally shop in "younger" stores like H&M and Forever 21, mostly for accessories and the occasional trendy "disposable" piece. I find American Eagle's jeans fit me well for that price point, although I think most of the rest of the store is a bit too young for me. I like the aesthetic of Anthopologie, but find their clothes to be a bit spendy. I thought that when I hit 40 I would start shopping at Chico's, J.Jill and (the now defunct) Coldwater Creek, but I find their clothes don't fit me well.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

I am not 40, but most of my 45+ friends like to wear clothes from Guess and Forever 21 when they're chilling and are not in starchy suits[ Chanel & St John on average]. I think it makes them feel younger. Some of those styles are too casual for me. But hey, whatever works!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Forever 21. Just kidding, wherever they want I guess! Not in my 40s yet but I'd like to think if it looks good on you and is appropriate why limit yourself? I didn't know 40 was so old as to switch over to granny panties and/mumuus.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    My mom is 51 and shops at the following stores:

J. Jill
    J. Crew
    The Loft
    The Limited
    Banana Republic
    Ann Taylor
    Express
    Talbot's
    Gap
    Chico's
    Marshall's
    TJ Maxx
    Old Navy
    Macy's
    Nordstrom
    Nordstrom Rack
    Tommy Hilfiger
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

CHICOS!!! my favorite store.. me and my mom shop together now.. I am 45 and she is 65 and we always find nice things

No way you are 45! You honestly look 28-30!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and love Ann Taylor, Macy's, New York and Company, Talbots, J Crew, TJ Maxx, Gap, Old Navy, JCPenny, Nordstrom, I have found tons of clothes in these stores that I love... I can't fit into regular sized clothes yet... But I'm in an 18W so I'm almost there!
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I feel like Kohl's has a little bit of something for all ages...
    Victoria's Secret carries more than just lingerie!
  • babsbod
    babsbod Posts: 29
    Options
    Ann Taylor Loft-
    You can find classic pieces and also I love the different cut of pants to fit your shape!
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    Thanks for all those great ideas ladies. To the girl who said I shouldn't limit myself, I agree. And there was a time when I thought I could just wear what I wanted, and I definitely favour comfort, but some things just look silly at a certain point. Unless you've got the attitude to pull it off, and that's not really my thing. I certainly don't hold it against anyone else though.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    where i shop:

express
    modcloth
    nordstrom
    h&m
    ny&co
    pinup girl
    ross/marshalls/tj maxx
    target