where do 40 year old women shop for clothes?

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Forever 21. Just kidding, wherever they want I guess! Not in my 40s yet but I'd like to think if it looks good on you and is appropriate why limit yourself? I didn't know 40 was so old as to switch over to granny panties and/mumuus.

this... and oh yeah i've bought things from forever 21 mainly blazers, tunics, tees and leggings.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Forever 21. Just kidding, wherever they want I guess! Not in my 40s yet but I'd like to think if it looks good on you and is appropriate why limit yourself? I didn't know 40 was so old as to switch over to granny panties and/mumuus.

^^this...x5
  • damselfly5
    Options
    I'm trying to find things that will fit for longer than a few weeks. I've lost 61 pounds in the 10 weeks since I had my gastric bypass .
    I'm looking forward to shopping but so far with just the little bit i've done, It's been discouraging. I don't want to spend a lot, so I've been going to thrift stores for a few items and have been trying to arrange a clothing swap type of party.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    I'm trying to find things that will fit for longer than a few weeks. I've lost 61 pounds in the 10 weeks since I had my gastric bypass .
    I'm looking forward to shopping but so far with just the little bit i've done, It's been discouraging. I don't want to spend a lot, so I've been going to thrift stores for a few items and have been trying to arrange a clothing swap type of party.

dresses, especially wrap dresses
  • Naydene_will_do_this
    Options
    I just turned 50, but my faves are Macys off the clearance rack, and Ross.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Off price places:
    TJ Maxx/Marshall's /Sierra Trading Post
    Ross
    Vanity Fair
    Burlington Coat Factory
    Rugged Wearhouse
    Nike Factory Outlet

Regular retail
    Express
    Jones New York
    Wet Seal
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Maurices
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't realize i was supposed to shop somewhere special. My jeans (favorite ever), still come from American Eagle Outfitters. Tops, depends on what I like.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    Wow, I didn't realize i was supposed to shop somewhere special. My jeans (favorite ever), still come from American Eagle Outfitters. Tops, depends on what I like.

yep it's dress barn for now.. once you hit 60's it's whatever store is next to the funeral parlor
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My work wardrobe comes from stores like Talbots, J. Crew, White House/Black Market, et al because I work in a professional environment and have a dress code to which I need to adhere. But on the weekends? I wear whatever I please... because I couldn't care less about someone else's opinion about how I dress. Today I wore a Hollister polo shirt, rolled up skinny jeans from 7 for All Mankind, and my favorite pair of worn-out Converse All-Stars sneakers. If that's dressing "too young," then so be it.

I'd rather dress in whatever makes me feel comfortable, and not have to adhere to what someone *else* thinks just because I'm 40+.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Totally with you here! AEO jeans for sure. A lot of tops from a website called zulilly.com that has lots of different, fun stuff. I'm 55 but didn't realize there was a cutoff where I was supposed to go conservative. Oops!
  • atorina21
    atorina21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    dressbarn
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I pretty much live at Ross. I love it there so much. And Target. And one of our local resale shops that I love to pieces. And Walmart. That's basically it for me.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Totally with you here! AEO jeans for sure. A lot of tops from a website called zulilly.com that has lots of different, fun stuff. I'm 55 but didn't realize there was a cutoff where I was supposed to go conservative. Oops!

LOVE my AEO jeans as well... though I find it rather funny that when I worked there almost 20 years (and 80+ pounds) ago I couldn't fit into *any* of the womens' clothing there. :laugh:
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love Modcloth.com for dresses and shoes!. I am 45 btw. jeans- what ever fits my booty, even if it's got bling! lol Shorts and casual everyday wear and exercise stuff... walmart and target!

NSV recently bought a cute pair of peach colored shorts at walmart in what was a 5. did not realize they were a jr size but they fit! lol woo hoo!

Good luck and have fun shopping!

:drinker:
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My work wardrobe comes from stores like Talbots, J. Crew, White House/Black Market, et al because I work in a professional environment and have a dress code to which I need to adhere. But on the weekends? I wear whatever I please... because I couldn't care less about someone else's opinion about how I dress. Today I wore a Hollister polo shirt, rolled up skinny jeans from 7 for All Mankind, and my favorite pair of worn-out Converse All-Stars sneakers. If that's dressing "too young," then so be it.

I'd rather dress in whatever makes me feel comfortable, and not have to adhere to what someone *else* thinks just because I'm 40+.

^ this

Your mind set is AWESOME! :heart:
  • smhornbach
    smhornbach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and I love the Loft and Express. Like someone else said, I love how American Eagle jeans fit but the rest of their styles are too young. I wear mostly Calvin Klein for work dresses.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

yep it's dress barn for now.. once you hit 60's it's whatever store is next to the funeral parlor

Did you really mean this to be as offensive as it reads? h
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Laura's Plus Petites. And comic-cons. I get lots of t-shirts and comic-cons.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Anywhere they want.