How many calories should I be eating?

Options
Hi, I'm pretty new to mfp having lost 70lbs following ww over the past few years.
Stats:
5'2
136lbs with a goal weight of between 8 and 9st,
I am exercising 6 days a week, currently 30 day shred but also swimming once a week usually a mile, a session at the gym if I can there (mum of two with partner who works away through the week). And general dumb bell, jump road, squats at home.
Anyway, I have been following mfp's recommended 1200 cals but I am starving on that amount. I feel weak and I wake in the night (when I eventually get sleep) so hungry and in the morning I can't get my breakfast fast enough! I get in a load of protein (my diet is very clean generally but I enjoy a night once a week where I'll have a dessert.) anyway, should I continue with mfp goal calorie intake or use iifym or fat2fit for eg? I really want to lose this weight in time for my wedding this December but I am lost for where to go from here.
I'd eally appreciate any advice as I'm getting mixed advice ATM people saying I'm not having enough.

Replies

• skinnyEmilijah
    skinnyEmilijah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For me, I prefer either Fat2Fit or Scooby calculator. I'm 5'1", and I can't eat at 1200 either. I'm hungry even at what I'm doing now and I can have around 1600.
  • Sweeting8st
    Sweeting8st Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it. Are you losing well on that amount? On fat2fit is says I should be having 1558 or 1785 cals (lightly active) are these the numbers I should be looking at? Or the bmr which is 1420? I'm so lost.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    All the numbers are estimates. Pick one and stick to it consistently for 3-4 weeks, the scale will tell you if you need to adjust up or down.

Good luck!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    All the numbers are estimates. Pick one and stick to it consistently for 3-4 weeks, the scale will tell you if you need to adjust up or down.

Good luck!

^^Winner, winner chicken dinner.

OP - a calculator is just a starting point. You have to use trial and error to figure out the number of calories that work best for you.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Sweeting8st
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies. I will do as suggested. Just scared to add more cals now but I guess it's the only way to find something that works. Thanks again :)
  • skinnyEmilijah
    skinnyEmilijah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it. Are you losing well on that amount? On fat2fit is says I should be having 1558 or 1785 cals (lightly active) are these the numbers I should be looking at? Or the bmr which is 1420? I'm so lost.

My BMR is 1460. I'm eating at 1600 because it's between the active and sedentary. I fell off the wagon before now (have been on track for less than a week), but in the past I've lost on fat 2 fit numbers. I should be using the lightly active numbers, but since I'm just starting out, I wanted to speed up my initial weightloss for extra motivation to stick to it this time.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Seems like you should be looking at the "lightly fit" number. Not your BMR -- this is the number of calories your body would need if you literally laid in bed all day and didn't move.
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies. I will do as suggested. Just scared to add more cals now but I guess it's the only way to find something that works. Thanks again :)

Don't be scared. More calories = more delicious food. Some people like to starve, but personally I like to eat AS MUCH FOOD AS POSSIBLE and still lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Remember that MFP's 1200 is net--you'd eat back exercise calories (modified because they tend to be overstated).

Or you can estimate your activity over the week and do a TDEE-based number, but they probably won't be very different.
  • Sweeting8st
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. You've really helped me out. Going to shoot for the sedentary level for a week or two and then see what's happening. Yep definitely love my food and would ideally like to eat as much as possible :)
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. You've really helped me out. Going to shoot for the sedentary level for a week or two and then see what's happening. Yep definitely love my food and would ideally like to eat as much as possible :)

Just beware anytime you increase calories you may gain a little water weight. That's why it's better to test closer to 6 weeks so your body has time to adjust and you can really see if your weight goes down.