When is a pound lost and where does it go?

Options

Replies

• DebSM2
    DebSM2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Z
    Every time I lose a pound, I look for it everywhere. My pants pockets, the bottom of my purse, under the bed! And I never do figure out where the heck it goes!

Couch cushions. Always the couch cushions.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    bumping for laughs later.
  • fitchickarw
    fitchickarw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are correct in your thinking . . . what people mean when they say they "lose fat" is that they are actually shrinking the size of the fat cells. If you lose 20lbs of fat, that doesn't mean you lost the cells (unless you did it through surgery)... it means you shrunk the fat cells by 20 lbs. ;)
  • ANNAvsANNA
    ANNAvsANNA Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    you're all wrong. you fart it out and it goes into space. that's how new planets are formed.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    And that's why most of them have the methane clouds that make them uninhabitable?
  • foofoobunny12
    foofoobunny12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this whole post yet, but from what I have read some of the answers are ridiculous. There's a TED talk on this very subject. The man in the TED talk claims to have spent a lot of time researching this very question. He says that fat is broken down into H2O and CO2. H2O may be expelled through sweating or urine and CO2 is a bi-product of breathing. I'm not an expert but it makes sense to me. Most people tend to breathe heavier and sweat more when they engage in physical activity, and many people who engage in physical activity are either trying to lose weight or maintain their current weight.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this whole post yet, but from what I have read some of the answers are ridiculous. There's a TED talk on this very subject. The man in the TED talk claims to have spent a lot of time researching this very question. He says that fat is broken down into H2O and CO2. H2O may be expelled through sweating or urine and CO2 is a bi-product of breathing. I'm not an expert but it makes sense to me. Most people tend to breathe heavier and sweat more when they engage in physical activity, and many people who engage in physical activity are either trying to lose weight or maintain their current weight.

Agreed, came here to say this, and to also point out that the energy this breaking down releases is the energy the body needs (and also heat energy). Eat less, move more, and keep breathing. :)

But then I laughed way too dang hard at this thread.
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    love-this-thread.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Z
    Every time I lose a pound, I look for it everywhere. My pants pockets, the bottom of my purse, under the bed! And I never do figure out where the heck it goes!

Couch cushions. Always the couch cushions.

Every time I think I lose a pound, it hunts me down and reattaches. :sad:
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So when you lose weight do you eventually have fewer fat cells, or do you have the same number of cells but smaller in size?
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It goes to the Land of Misfit Pounds

happy-cuteness-overload.jpg
    That is too cute. I sure hope it finds some friends soon.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    well you can stay at maintainance at burn 500 cals a day n you will lose a pound every week.
    2nd ques when you are burning fat look for when thing when you go to toilet to pee you will notice something white in your pee is like chicken fat thats how some of your fat comes out n some as a sweat. because when i did a diet few years back when the white thing came in pee i got scared that its something serious but found out its nothing just fat so a doctor knows best.

Honey, if this were me I would be afraid, on SO many levels. Your doctor sucks.

Thanks for the laughs, I got my ab workout for today!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    MY FAVORITEST THREAD OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OF. ALL. TIME.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    So when you lose weight do you eventually have fewer fat cells, or do you have the same number of cells but smaller in size?

I'm a bit scared to answer this with so many science experts hanging around on this thread but here goes. It is my understanding that you always have the same number of fat cells, but when you lose weight they shrink. The only way to lose fat cells is to have them removed surgically.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm just off to pee into a sieve to see if I can spot any white lumps coming out... Back soon.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I found mine under the bed where the cat hid it.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Are there any "I Survived the Lost Pound Thread!" tshirts.

Does it come with a free beer? (Guinness of course for the vitamins).
  • tiffanyagee2003
    Options
    you're all wrong. you fart it out and it goes into space. that's how new planets are formed.

This Made me fart laugh when I read it LOL!
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    131709074663.gif
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I'm a bit scared to answer this with so many science experts hanging around on this thread but here goes. It is my understanding that you always have the same number of fat cells, but when you lose weight they shrink. The only way to lose fat cells is to have them removed surgically.

Don't be scared! The good news is that more recent studies have found that you actually CAN lose fat cells... but it takes years of maintaining a lower weight before these cells eventually go away.

Also, so glad someone bumped this. I had forgotten all about that classic MFPism on page 1.