3 lbs. in first week...normal?

Options
Hi, everyone! I've just restarted mfp this past Sunday, and I've lost 3 pounds in my first week. Is this safe/normal? I have my goals set to lose only 1 pound per week. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy, I just want to do this the right way and not go too fast. I eat about 1800 calories a day, and more if I exercise, so I know I'm not starving myself.

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It was most likely water weight. Most people see a large drop in the first week due to it.
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    Large drop in the first week or so is totally normal :)
  • hbcfit13
    hbcfit13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great! 1800 calories sounds awesome! Just like everyone else said, it's totally normal to drop a lot of water weight at the beginning of your weight loss journey! Just keep drinking lots of water and keep up the good work! :)
  • WisteriaLady
    WisteriaLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first week and I lost 3lbs :smile:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Don't let it discourage you but it is water weight more than likely. It'll even out over the next couple of weeks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Track the trend...just daily weight fluctuations alone can be anywhere from 1-3 Lbs or more due to water retention/release, more/less waste in the system, etc. Just yesterday morning I was 179...this morning I'm 184...I can assure you I did not pack on 5 lbs of actual fat overnight and that I'm within my normal maintenance range.

You're going to have weeks like this when you lose more...you're going to have weeks where you lose less...you're going to have weeks with no loss on the scale whatsoever...and you're likely to have weeks with small gains. This is why it is far more important to perform trend analysis than it is to get wrapped up in the minutia of weigh in to weigh in numbers.
  • strawberrycoconut87
    strawberrycoconut87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is very normal to lose more weight the first week. I even notice a difference sometimes after my first day, simply because I am putting less food into my body. However, the pounds you lose the first week are not all from fat. It is mostly from loss of water weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal.