Are Quest Bars magic?

Options

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I can magically make a whole box of them disappear in about an hour. :)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    They lie about how many carbs are in there. I'm diabetic, so I know these things.
    Considering it spikes blood sugar like a candy bar, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. My blood sugar was very high (like 300's) so I went on a low calorie diet that involved eating a quest bar every day (some days 2). My blood sugar went to normal levels within a week.
    300??!? Holy fark.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    They lie about how many carbs are in there. I'm diabetic, so I know these things.
    No they don't. You're probably looking at the net carbs.

The calories are usually wrong on them, so just add up the fat, carbs, protein to get the correct amount. It's usually not off that much.
    Carbs - 4 calories/gram
    Protein - 4 calories/gram
    Fat - 9 calories/gram

I emailed Quest regarding this math a few moths ago because I had the same thinking. The calories on them are for the most part correct, the FDA allows/tells them to round to the nearest 5/10 calories so that's what they do. Like the apple pie is actually 176 calories but the label says 180. The carb count contains the fiber and the sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols have no calories and I believe the Quest rep said that fiber is less than 4 calories per gram? I can't remember the details and I'm not well versed in the science. However, I do know that all carbs are not created equal in the terms of calories. Just go by the label calories.

I count macros instead of calories anyways, so it works out! :drinker:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Magically disgusting.
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    They are Magic sent down from Zues himself for Mt Olympus Gains!

Good "supplement", great way to add the fiber and protein and have some sort of good tasting item. I have yet to run into a quest bar that I have not liked however I have yet to sample every single variety..

I incorporate them daily and havent noticed any illl effects
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    *Zeus
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Considering it spikes blood sugar like a candy bar, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. My blood sugar was very high (like 300's) so I went on a low calorie diet that involved eating a quest bar every day (some days 2). My blood sugar went to normal levels within a week.

girls-magic-gif-v2.gif
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I think they're nice, as protein bars go. I wouldn't go out my way to have one though.

As to the accuracy of the nutrients - they do the 'net carbs' thing so you don't get the accurate calories but I think it negligible (40 or 50 or something). I'm sure I read that on a thread on here.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

And I'm going to have to argue that your blood sugar likely didn't go from being in the 300s down to normal range within a week just by eating a low calorie diet. Lowering your blood sugar when you are diabetic requires more than lowering caloric intake (i.e. Metformin, insulin, exercise, and a healthy diet).
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

And I'm going to have to argue that your blood sugar likely didn't go from being in the 300s down to normal range within a week just by eating a low calorie diet. Lowering your blood sugar when you are diabetic requires more than lowering caloric intake (i.e. Metformin, insulin, exercise, and a healthy diet).
    My dad's blood sugar was getting borderline (100), the first thing the doctor said to try was "lose weight". He lost 10 lbs (he's not heavy to begin with) and he's fine now. He's getting older and that's how small the tipping point is.

Most people just choose to still eat like a pig and take meds.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are perfectly fine...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!

NICE NOSTRILS!
    GLAD YOU APPROVE!
  • karenannaturner
    karenannaturner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Based on what happens to me after eating two of them, I'll believe their fiber claims.

The bloat the next day is really terrible for me. I LOVE Quest bars when I eat them. Then I regret it later...
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Cookie dough in the microwave heated just right ♡♡♡♡♡♡
  • Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    yes they are magic and where did you see them on sale?!

The GNC in my town. When they get within a few months of the expiration date they put them on sale for $1.50. I bought all the ones they had. :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

My dad's blood sugar was getting borderline (100), the first thing the doctor said to try was "lose weight". He lost 10 lbs (he's not heavy to begin with) and he's fine now. He's getting older and that's how small the tipping point is.

Most people just choose to still eat like a pig and take meds.

What an ignorant thing to say :huh:
    Congratulations, you know it all.
    I'll be sure to let all the T2D I know what pigs they are for having to take meds due to ALL that eating they do.
    eyeroll.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

They actually don't. The fibre actually slows down your insulin injection or medication, so if you're diabetic, you have to time it right. I'm diabetic as well.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Insulin can lower your blood sugar in a matter of 20 minutes from extremely high to extremely low....I'm assuming oral medications have a similar result. As well, some type 2 diabetics can control their blood sugars through diet and exercise alone, so that is very possible.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    There were some accusations, based on faulty testing, that the nutritional info provided by Quest was incorrect. This was debunked some time ago. The information, including the carb count is accurate. They taste really good, and provide a lot of protein and fiber. I have one every day, and sometimes two if I'm out and about and need a snack. I log the calories and it has not interfered with my weight loss.

Bingo! Several studies have debunked the false claim that the nutritional information is wrong. Glad to know someone is doing their research on this myth.

They are an excellent source of protein. They're also gluten free. AND the fiber in them is a pre-biotic fiber, another added benefit.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Expensive magic :mad: :explode: :noway: :cry: :sad: