Is the fat turning in to muscle? or am i just getting fat?

Options
Ok so basically I joined weight watchers 4 weeks ago - mainly just so I can measure myself accurately and maybe give me the push to lose weight!
I have also joined a gym - well usually just use the swimming pool. I take my children twice a week and try and go alone at least once a week - well when I can get a babysitter. I try and do 400m swim as time is not always on my side.

I am going to Barbados in October so have decided to try and lose a bit of weight so I look half decent before I go!!
I currently weigh 14st 10lb (after my weigh in yesterday) although after a very good week with swimming and eating healthily I managed to put on half a pound. Last week I lost 2lb and the previously I put on 1lb.

My concern is over the past month I have been really good with food, filling the plate with mainly salad and lean meats, not eating too late, drinking plenty of water, walking too and from work (about 2 miles a day) and yet I am still putting on weight.
Physical I feel I have lost weight as my jeans are becoming loose and my stomach seems flatter.

Do you think the weigh is turning in to muscle or am I just getting fatter??
I am trying really hard!! Although I want to be back to 12st I will be happy to have lost at least a stone by the wedding!!
It just feels like its never going to happen!!!

Replies

• tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping track of what you eat?
  • dmarshall87
    Options
    Yeah I use the fitness pal app - 1200 calories a day.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure all of your food? Your ticker says you've lost four pounds. Four pounds in four weeks is good progress. And fat doesn't turn into muscle and it's highly unlikely you're putting any muscle on by accident.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You are not gaining muscle eating 1200 calories a day.

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks it will go down, other weeks up. As long as the general trend is down, it's all gravy.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    jeans getting looser is a good sign.
    :heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

This is a chart I made last year (using my own weigh ins) that shows day to day fluctuations. Notice how the overall trend is down:
    29l0bqr.jpg

Measurements are better for tracking progress.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't turn into muscle. I am pretty sure that the adaptation to a caloric deficit combined with swimming is not to gain muscle.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    You probably just need to poop.
  • tiffanyagee2003
    Options
    :heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

This is a chart I made last year (using my own weigh ins) that shows day to day fluctuations. Notice how the overall trend is down:
    29l0bqr.jpg

Thanks for this ! Very helpful
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    are you putting dressing on the salad or using sauce on your meats, and do you use any oil - even half a teaspoon - to cook your meats? if so, do you measure and log their calories? sugar in your coffee?
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

29l0bqr.jpg

Thanks for this ! Very helpful
    I agree! VERY helpful!
  • felonebeats
    Options
    You're either eating too much or not working out enough.
  • brinna_rose
    Options
    Don't listen to most of the people here -- 1200 calories is really low! Since you are swimming regularly, I am pretty sure that you are losing fat and gaining muscle (fat doesn't turn into muscle, true, but you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time), especially because you say your pants are fitting better. THAT is the true test, because muscle is leaner and heavier than fat. If your tummy is flatter and pants are looser, you are definitely losing fat! It is possible to gain weight while getting thinner!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to most of the people here -- 1200 calories is really low! Since you are swimming regularly, I am pretty sure that you are losing fat and gaining muscle (fat doesn't turn into muscle, true, but you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time), especially because you say your pants are fitting better. THAT is the true test, because muscle is leaner and heavier than fat. If your tummy is flatter and pants are looser, you are definitely losing fat! It is possible to gain weight while getting thinner!
    Strong 1st troll post
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Don't know what Brinna is going on about.

It's very hard to grow muscle, especially for women. It doesn't happen quickly and it's not happening at 1200 calories with swimming. And there's absolutely no way you are losing fat and gaining muscle in direct proportions.